Henry Cavill out as Superman

Tools    

I was looking for an appropriate thread for this, but couldn't find one. Both James Gunn and Cavill confirmed that the upcoming slate of DC films, helmed by Gunn, won't feature Cavill as the Caped Crusader.

Thoughts?

I'm not a DCEU guy, so I don't even know why I started the thread (actually, Man of Steel is the only one I've seen and I didn't even like it that much), but these are my thoughts...

With Gunn stepping in, and how polarizing this "universe" has been, both in terms of film quality and the fandom around it all, I think their best option was to cut that cord and start with a clean slate. I like Cavill as a guy, he seems like a down-to-earth, good guy, but I'm sure there won't be a shortage of work for him.

EDIT: Speaking of Cavill, he dropped Witcher because of Superman, and they got Hemsworth. Now that Superman is out of the picture, will he go back to Witcher? Is that something that could happen? would it be right?

I'm not a DCEU guy, so I don't even know why I started the thread
LOL

I'm not either, so I don't feel very strongly about this. I do like the idea that someone is finally making an attempt at doing this the right way. If all of the future films are going to have the Gunn/Guardians smirk, I'm not sure I'm going to like this any more than the Snyder stuff, but we'll see.

That said, Cavill did look pretty good in the suit so I wouldn't mind keeping him around for the retooled version. Gadot also for that matter. I feel like they were better than the films they were dealt. (Mostly liked WW #1, though)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm not a DCEU guy, so I don't even know why I started the thread (actually, Man of Steel is the only one I've seen and I didn't even like it that much), but these are my thoughts...

With Gunn stepping in, and how polarizing this "universe" has been, both in terms of film quality and the fandom around it all, I think their best option was to cut that cord and start with a clean slate. I like Cavill as a guy, he seems like a down-to-earth, good guy, but I'm sure there won't be a shortage of work for him.

EDIT: Speaking of Cavill, he dropped Witcher because of Superman, and they got Hemsworth. Now that Superman is out of the picture, will he go back to Witcher? Is that something that could happen? would it be right?
I thought he dropped out of the Witcher because they admitted to not giving a crap about the source material or the games. They were just doing their own thing and he wanted them to be more faithful.

Suspect's Reviews

I thought he made a great Superman. And I liked MoS. Keep him but give him better scripts. And bring back Ben Affleck as well.

I may be in a minority here, but on average, I've liked DC films more than Marvel. Snyder has his bombastic style that suits me, and I'm afraid Gunn will turn DCEU into another, most likely B-tier, MCU.

I forgot the opening line.
I'd be perfectly okay with a black Superman.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I'd be perfectly okay with a black Superman.

At this point they need to start switching things up so we can keep track.

Sheit! I've got an idea, just rotate in a new actor midfilm--reboot the reboot during the reboot!

At this point they need to start switching things up so we can keep track.

Sheit! I've got an idea, just rotate in a new actor midfilm--reboot the reboot during the reboot!
I don't really see how a black Superman movie doesn't end up being blander and duller than all the other race swapped black led DC films. Black Hawkman was awful, Black Deadshot sucked Black Spider-man is fine because it's not just a race swap but I'm not really optimistic about Black Captain America after the TV series.

Anthony Starr and JK Simmons have respectfully completely deconstructed the character and created their own iconic versions(mostly because they were written before hand by Garth Ennis and Robert Kirkman).

As @TheUsualSuspect has also stated,

Cavill dropped it because the writers didn't care for the source material, and Cavill being a fan himself of Witcher was upset with that.

As for the topic. I doubt anyone else would be more apt for the role. And not just in the looks department, but as Clark as well. He was unlucky to not get better Superman movies. Cavill also seems like a nice lad.

But it does make sense to drop him, if they are starting from a young version of Clark Kent.

I like Gunn's stuff. Peacemaker and his Suicide Squad were a blast, but I am not sure he is right for Superman unless he tones down his brand of humour, which I don't think is appropriate for Superman.

Victim of The Night
They've been talking about Michael B. Jordan as Superman for a while, I wonder if it's finally time. I think I will actually stand up and cheer if they do it.

I thought he dropped out of the Witcher because they admitted to not giving a crap about the source material or the games. They were just doing their own thing and he wanted them to be more faithful.
As @TheUsualSuspect has also stated,

Cavill dropped it because the writers didn't care for the source material, and Cavill being a fan himself of Witcher was upset with that.

As for the topic. I doubt anyone else would be more apt for the role. And not just in the looks department, but as Clark as well. He was unlucky to not get better Superman movies. Cavill also seems like a nice lad.

But it does make sense to drop him, if they are starting from a young version of Clark Kent.
Yeah, the original justification back when Cavill announced it was that he was dropping Witcher in favor of Superman. The rumors that he was unhappy with the writer's treatment of Witcher came days/weeks after, if I'm not mistaken. But you're right. I doubt he will return because of that.

They've been talking about Michael B. Jordan as Superman for a while, I wonder if it's finally time. I think I will actually stand up and cheer if they do it.
Yeah, Michael B. Jordan would be a fantastic Superman. I could definitely see that happening.

Witcher was so much better than a niche show based on a videogame had any business being, I think that's in large part due to Cavill completely nailing the role. Sucks that we won't get a proper S3.

Angry Joe is, well, angry. From about 1:20 to 2:05 kind of sums up my feelings about Superman movies. There's a bit of NSFW language here so:

A system of cells interlinked
I know not many will agree with me, but I liked much of what Snyder did in the DCEU, especially the Justice League Snyder Cut. His striking visual style may have been a bit too dark, but it was more like a comic book come alive in some ways. He was able to bring the feeling of true mythological beings come to life, which is a necessity in the DC universe, IMO. I thought Cavil was a fine Superman, but I won't say he was the best or that he isn't replaceable. Perhaps @Thief is right in that a clean slate is the best way to proceed here.

Angry Joe is, well, angry. From about 1:20 to 2:05 kind of sums up my feelings about Superman movies. There's a bit of NSFW language here so:

Heh. This is the version of me that doesn't care about his blood pressure. He's right though. DC Studios is like an NFL team that can't seem to find the right head coach. So they're forever doomed to be also-rans.