Shutter Island

→ in
Tools    

Yeah I also found the body of the film quite predictable, but still thoroughly enjoyable, particularly the final third. Excellent reviews here, well worth a watch too.

I'm not sure if the mods will have a problem with this, but here's my review (if so, feel free to delete this post, and I apologize):

http://blog.reelloop.com/8243/review...sland-justins/
It's an interesting review, Justin. I got a release the other day from some online outfit that tracks movie reviews, and it said reviews of Shutter Island were mixed with less than 50% favorable to it.

The more I hear about Shutter Island, the more I'm sure it would be wasted on me. Your comparision to Vertigo was a red flag, as I've never cared for that film. All I could think of at the end of Vertigo was what a dumb, half-a** way to plot a murder. Sorry, that's just the way my mind works. Can't help it.

Nice review

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I just saw this tonight. I absolutely adored it. I read a critic that thought it was overlong; I never felt that in the slightest.

I adored the noir feel and was surprised halfway through when I realized Scorsese was making his Hitchcockian thriller. I hadn't really known much about it going in except what I saw in trailers. It's his homage to Hitch, imo, even down to the "fake" background shots. It was the first thing I noticed when Ruffalo and DiCaprio are on the boat. Later, I'm thinking, "hmmmm... this so reminds me of Hitchcock!" I'm not surprised a lover of film history like Scorsese would choose to do a film like this. Good for him!

Scorsese set a wonderful mood. I found the dream sequences and the psychological aspect to it very entertaining.

I came home and looked it up on rottentomatoes. I was really surprised to read so many hated it. I don't get that. One critic did note that "movie geeks" would like it. I wonder if that is why I liked it?

That was a fun evening at the theatre. Glad I finally saw it.

Rule Britannia....
I was amazed 2 days ago, when I finally saw it in theaters.
Finally, great psychological thriller in this decade. Definitely worth a watch!

I liked this a lot more than I thought I would though, once again, knowing that there's a twist was enough for me to guess what the purpose of the film was. Actually, I pretty much got it within the first few shots. I still enjoyed it though and thought that, stylistically, it looked great and Scorsese really created a realistic '50's feel' to the film.

I enjoyed it. The trailer made me think it would be spookier than it was, but still suspenseful...ghosts or no.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Finally saw Shutter Island last night. Guessed half of the ending early on but didn't guess the finer points.

I thought it was good -- kept me riveted -- but that Ben Kingsley did far too much 'splainin' toward the end. By then we'd already "got" it and were just waiting for the punch.

Originally Posted by Austruck
Finally saw Shutter Island last night. Guessed half of the ending early on but didn't guess the finer points.

I thought it was good -- kept me riveted -- but that Ben Kingsley did far too much 'splainin' toward the end. By then we'd already "got" it and were just waiting for the punch.
Couldn't agree more. I predicted the ending before the trailer was over. I'm not exaggerating. Then again, I'll bet plenty of other MoFos did, too. 15 years ago it would've been a nice little mind-bender, but audiences today are too paranoid about films trying to put one over on them, methinks.

Anyway, very well made, with a nice wrinkle or two, but it just wasn't enough for me.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by John McClane
The campfire scene in Shutter Island really bugged me. That was piss poor camera work, in my opinion.
What bugged me about that scene was how much she knew... if you know what I mean...

I just saw this recently and thought it was great. Dicaprio and Scorsese have done it again. Does anyone know Lehane's novel? Or how closely the screenplay followed the novel?

I really loved it..Leo Dicaprio did a very good job, he did better then i expected and Scorsese always makes weird stories but i always end up loving it and i think Leo and Martin S. have a friendship because Leo was in The Departed and Shutter Island, i loved those both movies very much and i hope Martin S. Keeps making wonderful stories and influential and poetic Movies.

i think Leo and Martin S. have a friendship because Leo was in The Departed and Shutter Island, i loved those both movies very much

Very perceptive. Of course Leo has now starred in all four of Scorsese's most recent feature films in the past decade (Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed, Shutter Island). He's still got four to go before he catches up with DeNiro as a collaborator, but obviously Scorsese enjoys working with him these days.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

^ Leo marks a new outlook for Scorsese's, I would say. GoNY, Aviator, Departed, and SI are all these really by-the-book type scripts. He's not so much innovating today as he's redoing "known" styles extremely well. None of these are his best for that very reason IMO.

Nevertheless I love Shutter Island. I'm impressed at how it got 100% better the second time. It was like watching an entirely new film. All the little details you didn't notice came out strong the second time. I see very little to no flaws with the entire thing. The performances are so perfectly nuanced, especially Mark Ruffalo's. He doesn't just play Teddy's partner. He literally plays Laeddis's psychologist playing Teddy's partner. His face always has these perfect tinges of doubt. The writing is some of the best ever. Each and every line spoken between Teddy and Chuck/Sheehan have double meanings. The cinematography is some of the best ever. It is basically flawless, IMO. The editing is sharp and also flawless.

And I don't think the final exposition between Kingsley and DiCaprio was too long, as some people say. That exchange has got to be one of my favorite ever in recent psychological twist "omg reveals". Remember that Teddy still thinks that everyone's out to get him. It wouldn't have been a quick discussion.

And of course, the music during the dream sequences--notably Cage's "Root of an Unfocus" and Max Richter's "On the Nature of Daylight" during the Holocaust/Dolores scenes... oh my ****ing god... and the closing mash-up between "On the Nature of Daylight" and Dinah Washington's "This Bitter Earth", such a beautiful, beautiful song.

Nice review!

In my opinion this movie was a great mindf***! I guessed the ending a little bit too early (fortunately I wasn't 100% sure if I'm right) but it didn't lower the value of the movie for me. As someone said the dream sequences were awesome and somehow a little creepy. After watching this movie I realised that DiCaprio is getting better all the time (okay I read it from an article but I strongly agreed )

Excellent dream sequences. Beautiful little pieces of film those are.

Most people saw the ending coming, but the rewatch is not empty mind you! You catch a lot more details and the nuances of the performances.