Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I'm just shocked that nebs keeps agreeing with you, Loner. When was the last time you watched it and how many times have you seen A Hard Day's Night? I was going to come on and throw tomatoes at rufnek earlier for claiming that Help! was just so much better but I let it go...

Try Ringo's "Parading", starting here at 7:30, if you can't get through the rest.

The continuation... that's right; the Beatles made such horrible music!
I've seen it at least three times. The last time I watched it was a few days ago on the palladia channel.

When did I mention their music?

the twilight films
they just bored me and i turned it off

also the hurt locker, i like those kind fo films but to me it was predictable

Employee of the Month
Requiem For A Dream - all of my friends back then: "Oh, it`s sooo good, it`s so good!". It was just okay.

Borat

No Country for Old Man - Stunning, no question. But overhyped, too.

Many of the Academy winners in past 15 years are over rated..

2009 HURT LOCKER

2008 SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

2007 NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

2006 THE DEPARTED

2002 CHICAGO

1998 SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE

1997 TITANIC

1996 THE ENGLISH PATIENT

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I recommend every one of those movies above. Did I think that any of them were the best films of their respective years? No, but I give them all a
or

I recommend every one of those movies above. Did I think that any of them were the best films of their respective years? No, but I give them all a
or
Sure, they are definitely good movies (except Shakespeare in love ) but they are very much over-hyped and over-rated too.

Boo.

Hiss!

Gah!

WHA?!

True.

Totally.

Yeah.

Probably.
Departed... A ripoff getting an Oscar?

Slumdog... Cidade de deus wannabe?

Hurt Locker... You really think its Oscar worthy? I mean all it had to do was beat Avatar (another ****** over-hyped movie IMO) and earn the title of the best movie..

OK. But what makes those movies more "overrated" than Crash, Million Dollar Baby, A Beautiful Mind, Gladiator and American Beauty? Those were all in the last 15 years.
Ha ha.. Why did you leave The Return of the King?

Its because it deserves to be there... with the very best. And so do The Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, American Beauty, Million Dollar Baby and even Crash.

I left out TRotK and Braveheart because I thought they were actually the Best films of their years. There are lots of people here who disagree. I certainly don't agree with your last post though, and that's why I listed those five films because even if they're "good", if they win "Best", they must be "overrated" to somebody. I just don't like the word "overrated" because it tends to personalize everything and turns it into something subjective rather than objective. But carry on; I've said my piece.

In the Beginning...
Sorry Yoda, I must agree. I've groaned at length on these boards already about The Departed, but I'll just say here that I think it's a tense, harrowing film until the end, when it devolves into some kind of ridiculous excuse for a Shakespearean tragedy. Maybe that's how Scorcese translated it from Infernal Affairs, but I'd still call that a boo-boo. Narratively speaking, the end just doesn't follow at all.

1998 SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE
I'll concede that this film lucked into the big award, and clearly wasn't the best nominee in 1998 (most would probably argue that Saving Private Ryan owned that distinction, although I'm a sucker for Life is Beautiful). Still, I submit that Shakespeare in Love is a much finer film than most of its type. Beneath a biting wit and marvelous structure that's filmed almost like a stage play itself, the movie has plenty of genuine heart and meaning.

Even today, Romeo and Juliet mirrors our own petty desires and judgments, as well as our thirst for something real, and I think that's at the heart of the film and its characters. Frankly, I was glad to see it win. I can't say it's a feel-good movie, but given what usually wins the award, it's certainly a much-needed ray of sunshine.

Departed... A ripoff getting an Oscar?
Remakes are "ripoffs" now? Also, how does that actually effect its quality as a film? Would it suddenly become great if you were to learn that the writer of the original wrote the American version, too? What if, like me, you didn't see Infernal Affairs until after The Departed? You can't dismiss the film just because its a reworking.

By the by, I thought it was significantly better than Infernal Affairs. I know everyone's default position seems to be that the original everything is better than its successor, but The Departed is an incredibly well-paced, layered film that makes the absolute most of IA's fantastic concept.

Slumdog... Cidade de deus wannabe?
Wha? Slumdog Millionaire is nothing like City of God, except insofar as it concerns poor foreign people. They're dramatically different films.

Hurt Locker... You really think its Oscar worthy? I mean all it had to do was beat Avatar (another ****** over-hyped movie IMO) and earn the title of the best movie..
I don't think it was a great choice, no, but that's kind of a separate question from whether or not it's overrated. Every film is overrated by someone, and sometimes that someone has a say in the Oscars. I don't think it's overrated in general, however.

That, of course, is why this topic is so sticky to begin with. It's one thing to disagree about how good a film is, but the films in this thread are also subject to opinions about other people's opinions.

Sorry Yoda, I must agree. I've groaned at length on these boards already about The Departed, but I'll just say here that I think it's a tense, harrowing film until the end, when it devolves into some kind of ridiculous excuse for a Shakespearean tragedy. Maybe that's how Scorcese translated it from Infernal Affairs, but I'd still call that a boo-boo. Narratively speaking, the end just doesn't follow at all.
If ya' can link me up to said rant I'd love to have a look. Wouldn't want to get this thread too off-course. I'll certainly agree that it's better in the first two-thirds than the last, but I'm stunned to hear someone say that it "doesn't follow at all."

The only major complaint I can think of off the top of my head is the rat at the end, which is clumsy and unnecessary.

[quote=Yoda;618186]Remakes are "ripoffs" now? Also, how does that actually effect its quality as a film? Would it suddenly become great if you were to learn that the writer of the original wrote the American version, too? What if, like me, you didn't see Infernal Affairs until after The Departed? You can't dismiss the film just because its a reworking.

By the by, I thought it was significantly better than Infernal Affairs. I know everyone's default position seems to be that the original everything is better than its successor, but The Departed is an incredibly well-paced, layered film that makes the absolute most of IA's fantastic concept.

Ah well, I saw IA first. As good a film that The Departed was (and I agree, it was more gripping than IA), it does not merit marks for the script. It does not matter who wrote the remake, the credits for the story, the script and the screenplay go to the original movie. I'm not judging the movie from an American point of view. If an American remakes The Departed and improves it a bit, will you rate it higher than The Departed? I do not think so, since you've now seen The Departed and IA for that matter. I think an original story should be placed very highly while judging a movie irrespective of the fact whether you have seen the original or not.

Wha? Slumdog Millionaire is nothing like City of God, except insofar as it concerns poor foreign people. They're dramatically different films.

I did not mean that Slumdog Millionaire is similar to City of Gods in content. But it falls in the same genre. I find a premise, where luck and destiny are so overwhelmingly strong that they completely guide a film from the beginning to the end, rather weak. Thats why I do not like Slumdog. And why I compare it to City of Gods is because it was aimed to arise a similar kind of emotion as the latter with a much weaker substance in the movie.

In the Beginning...
If ya' can link me up to said rant I'd love to have a look. Wouldn't want to get this thread too off-course.
Hmm. That'll take a bit of digging. I'll see what I can find.

I'll certainly agree that it's better in the first two-thirds than the last, but I'm stunned to hear someone say that it "doesn't follow at all."
Well, I guess narratively it follows, but I would argue that where the film sets a tone of stern believability in the first two acts, it violates that tone unnecessarily in the third. In the space of a few minutes, the film degrades into an orchestrated tragedy of violence, which I perhaps wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't so silly in its execution.

WARNING: "The Departed" spoilers below
Namely, it's the manner in which several characters get killed (in roughly five minutes, no less): unceremoniously and dead-center in the forehead. Whether it was for audience shock or some attempt at Shakespearean tragedy, I'm not sure. But I can't see how it can ever be considered realistic, which is what the first 80 minutes of the film most definitely are.

And in the film's parting shots, I feel like Scorsese intended to force some kind of deeper, more artistic and ambiguous meaning that would ascend the film into greatness. In my view, it's only there to feign profundity, and it's once again a violation of the film's predominantly grounded tone.

That's kind of the opposite of the way I saw the last part of The Departed, and it was two-and-a-half hours long. I thought that the entire film was meant to be commercial. The quick orchestration of what happens at the end isn't that much different than the ending of The Godfather except that it involved more major characters. I never saw anything in the flick that wasn't strictly placed there for commercial reasons although I'm not accusing Scorsese of pandering at all. It was a well-told story in my opinion with a few shocks basically. The only scene I thought literally was borderline pathetic was the final one with Nicholson, but you see, that one dragged on and on, and the others didn't give you a chance to breathe before they got you.

American Gangster - not critically lauded but over-rated in the sense that it scored average marks and I thought it was one of the worst films I'd ever seen.

The Hurt Locker was also over-rated