Most Overrated Movies

Tools    

This is one of those threads that always makes me feel like an idiot

Goodfellas, The Godfather, Usual Suspects, The Fugitive, Pulp Fiction, As Good As It Gets, etc are all some of my favorite flicks... I think the reason for our difference in opinion is that I go to a movie strictly to be entertained whereas quite a few of the people here watch movies as an artform. Not I am certainly capable of appreciating movies as art, but for the most part I think they are designed with the sole purpose of entertainment in mind... Either that or I am just easy to please... LOL.

Nonetheless (is that a word?) I really do enjoy reading everyone's opinion, particularly Karl's and Holden's b/c they see movies from a different point of view which is always an interesting thing to see.

I don't know what the critical response to Ulysses' Gaze was, but my God was that a terrible movie. I haven't seen a movie that boring and that pretentious in a long, long time.

mightymose, I judge movies as entertainment too. But when I'm entertained, I'm happy because I know I'm seeing artists work at the top of their form. For me, responding to movies as "art" and as "entertainment" is the same thing.

"I can't help it..."
MEET THE PARENTS - I just didn't think it was funny.
And that whole "Focker" thing got way out of hand.

Rock God
whoever started this thread is whack, yo. pulp fiction and the usual suspects ruled. crime fiction is probably my favorite genre. i love that noirish stuff.

i think titanic is by and large the most overrated. i don't want to get into that argument again, though.

Any of the Star Wars movies. I never got into any of them. I'm absolutely loathing the approach of the upcoming one, because it will be all I hear about from my movie-goin buddies for about a month. As for over-rated, if there is a whole lotta hype about the TRAILER, I think there's something wrong with the movie.

althought I don't think there overrated I'm not the biggest fan of them either. Jedi to me is overrated but 1 & 2 are Sci-Fi opera's great fun if you ask me.

B&W
And that whole "Focker" thing got way out of hand.
The proposed title for the sequal is "Meet the Fockers" BTW

Now With Moveable Parts
Originally posted by Austin7
Any of the Star Wars movies. I never got into any of them. I'm absolutely loathing the approach of the upcoming one, because it will be all I hear about from my movie-goin buddies for about a month. As for over-rated, if there is a whole lotta hype about the TRAILER, I think there's something wrong with the movie.
This is just so sad to me. Just because people get excited about a movie, it's overrated? I hope a lot people don't think that way. I'm absolutely foaming at the mouth, waiting for the next Lord of the Rings movie...and in my opinion...there is no such thing as overrated when talking about it.

GLADIATOR...

Originally posted by tzortst
GLADIATOR...
WORD UP TO THAT YO!
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Shrek.

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
What do you think is the most overrated movie of all time? Here is my list...

10. Titanic
9. A Beautiful Mind
8. Monsters Ball
7. Chicago
6. Braveheart
5. Armageddon
4. Lost in Translation
3. Mystic River
2. Scarface
1. Edward Scissorhands

Now im not saying that any of these movies are bad, as a matter of fact I enjoy some of them. Just think they get to much credit for being mediocre at best.

I'm a terrible person to try and gauge what is "Overrated", there are several threads starting here and here that will get you started with this topic.

You are so right on with Lost in Translation, Monsters Ball, and Cinderella Man.
But I have to disagree with you on Titanic. That's about it.

I would personally add Brokeback Mountain to the list.

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
...Cinderella Man...Not on my list, never actually saw it so it wouldnt be fair for me to say its overrated. But thanks for the imput anyway

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Armageddon? That's a weird choice to be considered 'overrated'

My top 5 overrated films are:

5: Apocalypse Now
4: Million Dollar Baby
3: Rushmore
2: Citizen Kane
1: The Godfather

Suspect's Reviews