Reading Tab

Tools    

Anthem

Finished reading Ayn Rand's Anthem. This was before she wrote her masterpiece Atlas Shrugged and introduced her philosophy of Objectivism. A rallying call for individuality, this is one of the easiest books to read, albeit perhaps a little too simplistic in its treatment of the subject.
+

Heart of Darkness and other Tales

A grave disappointment, I must admit. While the film adaptation is focused and incisive, the novel is shockingly meandering and mundane.

Let the night air cool you off
Need help deciding what to read next:

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings trilogy
Sin City comic books
The Godfather
Lord of the Flies
Farenheit 451
some H.P. Lovecraft short stories

Which of those should I start with?

Here's my ranking:

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings trilogy

Lord of the Flies
some H.P. Lovecraft short stories (maybe just check out a couple of his shorter stories and see if you can stand his stylistic tics, and if so check out one of the longer, better ones like Call of Cthulu or The Dunwich Horror or Dagon)
Sin City comic books
Farenheit 451 (didn't finish. Liked Martian Chronicles alright, didn't get into F-451)

Haven't read The Godfather.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Godfather is one of those rare instances where the movie is much better than the book. I don't know whether it worked better as a screenplay, or if it was the acting and direction that made the movie preferable to the book, but it is.

It's still a decent read, but I'd rather just re-watch the movie.

If you're in the mood to be with a book(s) for awhile, go with LOTR, if you want a short but excellent read go with Lord of the Flies.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth.

Death in the Andes

My first exploration of the great Peruvian writer Mario Vargas Llosa turned out to be quite pleasant. Here is a suspenseful novel about two people sent to a remote village to investigate the disappearance of three men, hindered by the strange townspeople, with a literary touch of magic realism.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I am a fan of Charlie Manson and have read his books and also have seen his Bio-Pic starring Tom Hardy. So I have started this book today 'Heroes and Villains: The Good, The Mad, The Bad and The Ugly'

Chappie doesn't like the real world
What did you think? I'm a big Murakami fan and I felt like someone probably really had to be one to enjoy 1Q84. I liked it but not nearly as much as Kafka on the Shore.

Welcome to the human race...
Recent reads:

Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut -

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy -

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut -

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole -

Currently reading The Stand by Stephen King.

Thought I'd post some essays I've read for a change.

Sphinx Without a Secret by M.F. Burnyeat
N.Y.R.B. May 30, 1985.

Ostensibly a review of 'Studies in Platonic Philosophy' by Leo Strauss, it's just a point of departure for a scathing and wide-ranging critique of Strauss' quasi-mystical rhetorical style and cult following among American academics in mid-late '80s. There followed an exchange between defensive Straussians (including Allan Bloom) and the author in the letters pages of later issues. It's old and most of the principles are probably largely forgotten by now, but for readers of past academic skirmishes it's pretty entertaining.

John Fodor on why nobody reads analytic philosophy

And a couple of essays that were cited in Celebrity and the Environment:

Myths of skeptical environmentalism by Dan Brockington, who takes his environmentalist colleagues to task for simplistic and misleading critiques of Bjorn Lomborg while not letting the author of The Skeptical Environmentalist off the hook.
and
How to Write about Africa by Binyavanga Wainaina, a bitter satirical essay about cliches writers use when writing about Africa.

And a bunch of back issues of The TLS.

Just finished The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes which was very enjoyable. I'm now halfway through American Gods by Neil Gaiman which is pretty amazing.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Review bomb time!

---

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

As a paleoanthropologist Russell is perfectly placed to construct an alien world, building tangible realities from unfamilar foundations, and bouncing unheard languages off their strangely curved walls. She also sets out on a parallel journey, to explore the Jesuit sect who pioneer our adventure, a group of no little unfathomability to her own agnostic mind. Her greatest success however is to represent the camaraderie and character of the lively crew, both pious and profane, who could survive a journey in a hollowed out meteorite, and who would even consider hurling themselves towards such an unknown.

From broken barrios to high finance, technology to terran sensibilities, she creates a beautifully believable version of our own near-future world. This is the launchpad from which we reconstruct the mission, circling its fragmented events, Rashomon-style. A tragedy has taken place, and we review it through eyes separated by lightyears, and the vibrant ghosts of the dead. A Jesuit inquiry panel is our judicial backdrop, as they attempt to know one man's mind, while also untangling the ideals and requirements of their shared religious life.

It’s not without its foibles, and the final conclusions and harrowing scenes, while justified, feel more like teething takes on theology, rather than the meat of Papal debates. But given its soaring ambitions you can certainly forgive it this slightly messy landing at the end of a fine and arching trip.

--

Spy the Lie by Houston, Floyd & Carnicero

This is very much the fluffy end of CIA fact-finding, and opens with possibly the worst dramatic intro of all time. (It may shock you to learn that their Middle-Eastern asset, ‘Omar’, turns out to be a Muslim). The morality on display is picked out by white picket fences, and the science is tenuous at best. Yet I can well believe their set of homespun techniques could have caught everyone from foot fetishists (who anaethetised their partners) to full blown paedophiles during internal CIA sweeps.

There is an intuitive vibe to the slant of their questions that immediately feels effective, even if it’s sometimes tricky to drill down into exactly why. It’s certainly familiar territory - we’ve all heard phrases flung out in lieu of answers, such as: ‘Do I look like someone who would...’, or the child that bellows ‘I can’t believe you don’t trust me!’. The authors throw their net wider than these pat tricks however, showing how intricate things get when catching a prepared crim in a web of ‘Is there any reason why...’ questions. At times it feels like the most believeable end of crime drama (y’know, the scenes where it actually makes sense that the crim spills the beans, rather than just staying shtum).

They pad it out somewhat with OJ transcripts, and examples of political obfuscation, but for every homily there’s normally a persuasive trick or treatise around the corner. As a new parent I will be particularly treasuring the simple ‘punishment question’ to uncover a guilty toddler - IE ‘What do you think the punishment should be for whoever spilled the juice...?’

+

Wrecking Machine by Alex Wade

A disgraced lawyer finds redemption in white collar boxing after decades of alcoholism and poorly-bottled rage. It's not always comfortable watching him flail at his own shadows, but he's led an interesting enough life for the journey to never feel lost in self-indulgent inward forays.

Ironically it is a bit flabby in the middle. I'm not sure we needed pages of press quotes using pugialistic language to describe legal battles. Some punch-drunk repetitions in the descriptions of his mental state are also possibly realistic, but suggest this battle with past demons could have done with some tighter refereeing.

What you do get though is a slew of believably big characters, training camaraderie that should draw you in even if the thought of boxing repels you, and a raw appraisal of some bruising mistakes. And a more fitting tangent into the Marquess of Queensbury's legal clashes with Oscar Wilde you will probably never find.

[Full disclosure: Alex is a work colleague of mine]

--

My Brief History
by Stephen Hawking

It's very short and I like very short.

Sex, Lies & Politics: The Naked Truth

by Larry Flynt

Old, but I had never read a book by Larry Flynt before.

Or a magazine.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	17tvm_print_Hawkin_1620335g.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	11585   Click image for larger version

Name:	512K8FKTMPL._SY445_.jpg
Views:	1251
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	11586