Australian Films

Tools    

I think Pitch Black was extremely overrated by Sci-Fi geeks desperate for something to latch onto. To compare it to Alien, even in passing, is an insult to Ridley Scott's film. Pitch Black is a very average flick, and no more than that in my book.

And Silver, I guess you hadn't asked people in the know, because Portia de Rossi never kept it a secret. She's been "out" for quite a while - ever since she became a regular on "Ally McBeal" anyway.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

OK your right , it isn't technically. So I would have to say Crocodile Dundee.

Uh what?

hey I was just wondering what anyone thinks about Romper Stomper, msg me or e-mail your responses. I am presenting a paper on how it affects the youth generation today.

It's not my favourite australian film but.....

Um Bungo! Um Bungo!
aussie beaut: I think it's a classy flick, but how it affects the youth generation of today? Don't think it would! Obviously there will be cultural differences between Britain and Australia, but skinhead's pretty much don't exist anymore and are in no way a threat... actually the definition of a skinhead here has now turned into a bitter old man who can't cope with changing times or trying to hold onto / recapture his youth... Remember the film's 10 years old now things changed mucho... But if you're talking about hate and rage in general, over here it's not race orientated as much as it used to be (or have I just stopped coming across the likes of racists?) everything seems more Politically Correct, oh I don't know i'm not the fecking youth so I'll shut my gob.

Silver Bullet, you wouldnt have had to look far, I remember just coming across it under imdb.com movie trivia:

"She is engaged to Francesca Gregorini, a singer/songwriter and stepdaughter of ex-Beatle Ringo Starr"

What really made me cack myself laughing was how she changed her name from Mandy Rogers to Portia De Rossi, or was it the fact that she only eats meals standing up?

tee hee hee

I can safely say, that for 95% of the youth in Australia today, the skinheads are safely not a problem and issue or an idol. The other 5% are being influenced by the Internet and the KKK.

And that is, sadly, not a joke.

MovieForums Extra
Being an Aussie myself, I gotta admit that we have had some great beauts over the years...

My personal favourites are The Dish, Strictly Ballroom and The Castle (already mentioned, of course), but I gotta admit, Choppe was a pretty darn good flick as well!

Can you believe, I still haven't gone to see Moulin Rouge?!?! Guess I'm missing out!!

But seriously, I reckon the Aussie movie industry has seriously improved over the years... we're just spitting out great movies and great actors! (Sounds very modest and very patriotic )!

uh, muriel's wedding and chopper, btw eric bana is acctualy croatian ( well ok, croatian australian ), and i also liked a certain comedy i can't remember the name, but i use the line from it all the time lately, it's about a family who are fighting some big company or something taking their land/house, and their lawer was really sh1tty, so when he was arguing his case he says: it's the wibe of the thing...and he says wibe in this thik aussie accent ...twas funny..

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by adidasss
uh, muriel's wedding and chopper, btw eric bana is acctualy croatian ( well ok, croatian australian ), and i also liked a certain comedy i can't remember the name, but i use the line from it all the time lately, it's about a family who are fighting some big company or something taking their land/house, and their lawer was really sh1tty, so when he was arguing his case he says: it's the wibe of the thing...and he says wibe in this thik aussie accent ...twas funny..
D'you mean 'vibe'? I'm confused by your quote, but if you're talking about The Castle (and i reckon that's the one you mean), i'd say too right - it's a nourishing tin of quality

you're right!!!haha
Dale Kerrigan: Dad said it was funny how one day you're not famous, and the next day you are. Famous.*pause* And then you're not again.
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Mum?
Dale Kerrigan: Good.
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Dad?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Trace?
Wayne Kerrigan: How are you?
Wayne Kerrigan: How's Steve?
Dale Kerrigan: He's all right.
Wayne Kerrigan: Good.
Dale Kerrigan: [voice-over] We could just chat for hours.

funny...

Well, since Holden has already beat me to the four I listed in the other thread (awesome dude that he is), here's another: Where the Green Ants Dream. Directed by a German and about a made-up Aboriginal folklore, but still a pretty cool film. The film itself isn't one of Herzog's best, but the openning footage is almost as memorable as Aguirre and worth the rental for that alone.

that movie would be in my top 10 of worst movies ever made

Chopper.
Bad Boy Bubby.
Romper Stomper.
Priscilla Queen Of The Desert.
Two Hands.
The Castle.
Mad Max.

I was meaning Pitch Black would be in my top 10 of worst movies ever made

i forgot about Chopper and Mad Max great movies

Randomly visiting for now
Some of my fav's being the 'in the know' Aussie that I am would have to be

Rabbit Proof Fence (impacting and thought-provoking)
Chopper (good story)
The Castle (very funny)
The Craic (hilarious)

WE COME IN PEACE AND WITH GOODWIL
Originally Posted by Fez Wizardo
this is driving me mad why has no one seen bad boy bubby???

God Priscilla freaked the **** out of me...especially Guy and Hugo :::shudders:::
I saw that flick at the movies and it freake d me out... the scene with the cat and the plastic wrapp/....LOL
But my favorite movie from that time would have to be METAL SKIN.. Fantastic movie.

My favorite movie of all time, Muriel's Wedding.

http://hiddenmovieblog.blogspot.com

i just saw Somersault with Abbie Cornish and it wasn't too bad. i thought it was a great drama.