The Top of the Bleeping Obstacle: MoFo Top 100 War Movies Prelims!

→ in
Tools    

Who mentioned 'Sophie Scholl: The Final Days' (2005) ?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Good film and heart breaking true story.
Maybe you read what I wrote about it?

Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)

A German language film based on the Nazi transcripts of a 21 year old college woman who along with her brother was caught distributing anti-Nazi literature at the University of Munich. What follows is her arrest, interrogation and imprisonment. During this time she steadfastly maintains her composure in the face of an oppressive regime. Ultimately she's brought before the People's Court to stand trail for treason. It's a hard hitting film when you realize that Sophie was a real person and what you're seeing really happened to her.

Thanks. I enjoyed it. Heart-breaking story. A true heroine.
I'd never heard of it until I did some deep research for war movies and ran into it. It won't make the countdown which is sad, not enough people have seen it.

I haven't posted in a while and haven't watched any war movies (terrible!) but I'm still here and ready to submit a list. There are two films I must rewatch for this. If not now, when!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I haven't posted in a while and haven't watched any war movies (terrible!) but I'm still here and ready to submit a list. There are two films I must rewatch for this. If not now, when!
Which ones?

OK, everybody. Get ready for a real plot twist for this thread, one that will either really please or displease the users, We got an eligibilitiy update. And while I can confirm right now that this won't make my ballot, I'm eager to see if it makes it here:

It won't make my list. I enjoy the film but I also don't consider it war either.

It is a kid's movie I admit, but what I appreciate about it is how it transitions a plot about soldiers preparing for battles in the third act into a kid's movie in general, simultaneously transitioning the fear of loss of family subplot we often see in war movies as well. But I'm certain all my entries will end up being 9.5 at the bare minimum, and Mulan is a 9 at the max for me.

Shame is in thanks to Letterboxd. Vote for Shame everybody.

I'd like to thank Seanc for bringing this understated Bergman film to my attention. I'm finished it just a couple minutes ago, and am largely certain of what I'll rate it.

I'd like to thank Seanc for bringing this understated Bergman film to my attention. I'm finished it just a couple minutes ago, and am largely certain of what I'll rate it.
Awesome! I think it’s fantastic, and certainly doesn’t feel like a fictional war.

I'm going to buy a digital war movie. Should I buy The Charge of the Light Brigade or Twelve O'Clock High or The Big Red One or Waterloo Bridge or The Hill? What do you folks recommend?

I'm going to buy a digital war movie. Should I buy The Charge of the Light Brigade or Twelve O'Clock High or The Big Red One or Waterloo Bridge or The Hill? What do you folks recommend?
Twelve O'Clock High & Waterloo Bridge (with Vivian Leigh) are two of my all time favorite movies. You should buy both!

Twelve O'Clock High & Waterloo Bridge (with Vivian Leigh) are two of my all time favorite movies. You should buy both!
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider it.

The Big Red One is on Tubi. You should watch it before they take it down.

I decided to take your advice and bought both. I also bought The Fighting Seabess and Murphy's War. I watched Waterloo Bridge and liked it. It won't make my ballot, but I would recommend Waterloo Bridge to anyone who hasn't seen it

I decided to take your advice and bought both. I also bought The Fighting Seabess and Murphy's War. I watched Waterloo Bridge and liked it. It won't make my ballot, but I would recommend Waterloo Bridge to anyone who hasn't seen it
Oh cool, was it Waterloo Bridge from 1940? of 1931? Both were my previous noms in HoFs. The Fighting Seabees is interesting, I liked it. And I've had Murphy's War on my watch list for the war countdown, one of these days I'll get to it.

Oh cool, was it Waterloo Bridge from 1940? of 1931? Both were my previous noms in HoFs. The Fighting Seabees is interesting, I liked it. And I've had Murphy's War on my watch list for the war countdown, one of these days I'll get to it.
It was the 1940 version.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I don't see someone to pay much attention at recommendations but anyway:

Ice Cold in Alex (1958)

Directed by J. Lee Thompson

Thrilling adventure in Sahara desert during WWII.