31st Hall of Fame

Tools    

The trick is not minding
The Verdict

Legal dramas are tough to pull off. For one thing, they tend to be preachy. For another, we must accept that the events are rarely ever an accurate portrayal of actual court proceedings. It requires a certain sense of acceptance of those facts.

In The Verdict, we have the typical down on his luck lawyer portrayed by the great Paul Newman. He’s a drunk and lonely lawyer who spends his time playing pinball and hunting down funeral wakes to pass his card off to the grieving families. When he’s presented with a case of actual merit, he transforms and loses his past pessimism.

We’re given insights into what made him the way he is along the way, and we see his change slowly occur.

This movie works, mainly for two reasons. First, the director. Lumet. He is a master, and after watching 9 of his 40+ filmography he has always been worth watching. Even his films that are merely ok (Seripico, Dog Day Afternoon), they are still highly entertaining and worth watching.

The second is the performances. Newman is amazing here, as is Warden as his assistant, and James Mason as his opposing attorney. And of course, the haunting performance of one Charlotte Rampling.

Ow, the film does become slightly preachy at the end. But it redeems itself with its final scene.

A great film that is better on a rewatch, as it’s been probably 15 years since I’d seen it.

The Verdict (Sidney Lumet 1982)

Good, solid film and I enjoyed watching it. My wife liked this movie too and that's another plus. This is what I call a good serious drama. There was a time in the 1970s when American cinema grew-up as baby boomers matured and wanted to watch more serious films...The Verdict might be made in the early 80s but it has the hallmark of the serious cinema movement of the previous decade.

Paul Newman was quite good in it. Newman of course is usually good in his movies. What I liked the most was the little extras that made the film a cut above the average flick. For example Newman's character has retreated into hard drinking and has his shot glass filled to the brim, so full in fact that he stoops down to drink by sipping it so not to spill any of the booze. I thought that little extra added a lot to the movie and said a lot about the lawyer. I enjoyed the Boston bar scenes. I swear I've seen other bars in Boston, in movies that is, and they look similar. I wonder if bars at this time had that old world European look to them?

If there was one thing that I didn't care for it was the casting of the judge, he felt a bit too light. I also didn't care for the way the scene was handled with the black doctor where the judge interrupts Newman and takes over grilling the doctor and then dismisses him from the stand. That felt a little too stacked against Newman and a bit too far afield of believability. Not a deal breaker though.

This should place high on my ballot.

A Hero:

This was the rewatch I was least looking forward to because I had watched this one fairly recently. I love Farhadi, he certainly seems to have adopted his writing style from Kirastomi and Panahi, and I can’t get enough of it. I have said before the movies of these directors are melodrama but they play like mysteries because of the ambiguous dialogue, which I love and is the major selling point for me.

I love the way A Hero plays with truth and relationships. Everyone has to tell their little white lie at some point in order to maintain their persona or their standing in the community. Of course the person who has to be held responsible for these lies is the little guy. The person that everyone already expects to be a screw up. It all is drawn up and plays out perfectly. The ending, with its juxtaposition is absolutely incredible. I really enjoyed this viewing very much. This went from my least anticipated to my most rewarding rewatch.

If there was one thing that I didn't care for it was the casting of the judge, he felt a bit too light.
Milo O'Shea's devilish eyebrows really didn't intimidate you?
I also didn't care for the way the scene was handled with the black doctor where the judge interrupts Newman and takes over grilling the doctor and then dismisses him from the stand.
I like that scene more than you do, but I was still surprised that the judge asked a witness the kind of questions that a lawyer asks. I'm obviously no law expert - who knows, maybe it happens all the time - but I can't recall another legal drama where that happens.

Milo O'Shea's devilish eyebrows really didn't intimidate you? I like that scene more than you do, but I was still surprised that the judge asked a witness the kind of questions that a lawyer asks. I'm obviously no law expert - who knows, maybe it happens all the time - but I can't recall another legal dram where that happens.
Ha yes! those eyebrows I think the scene where the judge very one sided grills and then dismisses the black doctor was a bit on the nose. Though Sidney Lumet wasn't known for subtleness so it's not surprising it's in the movie. Forgot to give a shot out to James Mason, very effective in the movie. I wish he could've had some more air time.

Ha yes! those eyebrows I think the scene where the judge very one sided grills and then dismisses the black doctor was a bit on the nose. Though Sidney Lumet wasn't known for subtleness so it's not surprising it's in the movie. Forgot to give a shot out to James Mason, very effective in the movie. I wish he could've had some more air time.
They do make Dr. Thompson out to be pretty unhelpful - he's like the Jek Porkins or Glass Joe of witnesses - but the scenes where Frank berates the judge for questioning him and that reveal the hopelessness of Frank's legal strategy make up for it. And yes, Mason is great. I just wish he kept talking because I love the sound of his voice.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Duellists

If you go into this blind it would be quite hard to believe it is a Ridley Scott film but here we are. Overall, the first thing that stands out to me is the very good casting choice with Harvey Keitel. And while I didn't enjoy Keith Carradine as much, they still offered a nice one two punch. I liked the film setting and scenery. The film wasn't necessarily beautiful but it made a lot of great choices with it's backgrounds. I will say often the dialogue put me into points of disinterests but that has also never really been a strong suit of Ridley Scotts. Overall it was a decently fun ride however.

-

...but the scenes where Frank berates the judge for questioning him and that reveal the hopelessness of Frank's legal strategy make up for it.
Absolutely that was one of the best scenes I liked that as I didn't know if that would then be the end of Frank or something else?

And yes, Mason is great. I just wish he kept talking because I love the sound of his voice.
Agreed, one of the best voices on the screen. I'm a big fan of James Mason.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Sons of the Desert

Comedy is probably the toughest draw in these general Hall of games but I really enjoyed this one. It was the first thing Laurel and Hardy that I've seen and I'll be down to see some more. The two have really good chemistry together. The comedy itself isn't necessarily laugh out loud stuff but it's definitely stuff that can produce chuckles. I loved when Stanley was startled by Olivers wife that produced the best laugh for me. The story is quite simple but sometimes it works better for films like this when it is. It had a really good pace to it and was short and sweet too. This was a fun watch.

+

Sons of the Desert -

This look into Laurel and Hardys' home lives has its moments. When it comes to generating laughs - and cringe - you can't go wrong with trying to maintain a lie, and this movie's many variations on this trope work more than they don't. I especially like when the pals discover that one of their fellow Sons of the Desert happens to be Laurel's brother-in-law as well as their story about how they "ship-hiked" their way out of Honolulu. It also succeeds at utilizing the duo's talent for physical comedy, the highlights being Hardy's failed attempt at pretending to be sick and the scene involving smashed plates, which makes the one in The Godfather seem tame. Also, as a lover of movie trivia, it was nice to finally see Hardy deliver what could be this franchise's most iconic line, "here's another nice mess you've gotten me into."

Even though this is not a long feature film, it still has too much slack for me to fully embrace. To be fair, I've only seen one other Laurel and Hardy movie, the Brats short, but I believe this kind of comedy works better in the short form. I'm not ashamed to admit that I nodded off more than once and I don't think it's just because I watched this after a long work day. It made me think about the season of Metalocalypse with 30-minute long episodes, which isn't a bad season at all, but I think that series worked best when it kept things lean and mean. I'm still glad I got to hang out with this classic pair another time, and if anything, it's nice to discover what the meetings of secretive fraternal organizations like the one this movie satirizes are like. To quote Patrick Stewart's head Stonecutter in The Simpsons episode Homer the Great, I guess they really are all about "getting drunk and playing Ping-Pong."

Days Of Heaven:

This officially has my vote for most beautiful movie ever made. That alone would make it a great movie for me but Malick also fills it with an amazing of picture of broken humanity. As always no one marries the brokenness of man with the brokenness of nature like Malick. One of my absolute favorites by one of my absolute favorite directors.

Days Of Heaven:

This officially has my vote for most beautiful movie ever made. That alone would make it a great movie for me but Malick also fills it with an amazing of picture of broken humanity. As always no one marries the brokenness of man with the brokenness of nature like Malick. One of my absolute favorites by one of my absolute favorite directors.
Yes, such a beautiful film. Malick is a wonderful director. I have this on Criterion blu ray, but have only seen it once. Looking forward to revisting it soon.

I forgot the opening line.

The Verdict - 1982

Directed by Sidney Lumet

Written by David Mamet
Based on the novel "The Verdict" by Barry Reed

Starring Paul Newman, Charlotte Rampling, Jack Warden
James Mason & Milo O'Shea

This review contains spoilers

I love courtroom dramas, and I love The Verdict. Figuring what makes it special goes further than needing to see guilty parties punished and innocence upheld - this is a film that has as it's focus the lawyer prosecuting the case, making it a redemption story on top of a contest. As a primary benefit (one of many this film has) we have the considerable talents of Paul Newman in the leading role, and it appears to have been a role he relished. His character, Frank Galvin, comes from a position of weakness and vice, and you'll see him doubt himself at every turn when his case falls apart just before his trial starts. Opposing him is the power of the Boston church, a high-priced law firm, and well-known and respected doctors. All of those characters are kept at a cold distance, and David Mamet, who has a most adept skill at writing screenplays, knows exactly what to do and when to do it. Newman's charisma, Mamet's script and Sidney Lumet's direction turned this into a classic film that seems to have got even better with age, like a fine wine. Or perhaps age has made me identify with Galvin more than I did when I was younger.

Attorney Galvin (Newman) starts out as a man at the absolute bottom. An alcoholic, he finds funerals and wakes to go to so he can hand out his card and hope to attract grieving clients. Often he's chased out by angry mourners, but he has no self-respect left anyway. A friend, Attorney Mickey Morrissey (Jack Warden) hands him a "money-maker" - a case where all he has to do is accept the settlement, which will be sizeable, and pocket his 33%. When Galvin visits his braindead client in a city hospital, and ponders her situation, he goes through a change and decides that he can win this case and redeem himself once and for all. Ignoring his client's relatives, he refuses a $210,000 offer and decides to try the case. Opposing him is Attorney Ed Concannon (James Mason) and his competent staff, and also, unfortunately, the judge presiding over the trial, Hoyle (Milo O'Shea). When Galvin's star witness is scared off, and his stand-in proves to be a disaster, the only thing he has to fall back on is a newfound love with Laura Fischer (Charlotte Rampling) and a hope that if he keeps fighting, a miracle will deliver him salvation.

There were some tough categories to find yourself nominated in during the 1983 Academy Awards. It was tough enough even if Gandhi hadn't swept up so many awards, with the likes of E.T. the Extraterrestrial, Missing, Tootsie, Blade Runner, Das Boot and An Officer and a Gentlemen (and more) getting attention. Best Picture, Best Director (Richard Attenborough) and Best Actor (Ben Kingsley) all went to Gandhi over The Verdict. Best Adapted Screenplay went to Missing's writer over Mamet and An Officer and a Gentleman's Louis Gossett Jr. made sure James Mason never ended up winning an Oscar despite his talents. The Verdict is the kind of film where the nomination itself is the award - it wasn't attention-getting enough to stand out, but I would have felt a little aggrieved at the time to see Ben Kingsley beat Newman, for I truly think that Newman's performance was the better one, even considering Dustin Hoffman and Peter O'Toole were worthy contenders. The film was nominated for five Golden Globes as well, but those awards went mostly the same way, favouring Attenborough's prized project.

This is a fine-looking film, but isn't the kind of cinematic journey where the visual component dominates. It is interesting however, the way Sidney Lumet and director of photography Andrzej Bartkowiak made autumn hues dominate the entire film. That dark brownish kind of colour becomes so all-pervasive that whenever I'd think of The Verdict I'd actually think of those colours - and the connection I made was that this was a film about someone in the autumn of their life. Lumet and Bartkowiak also tried to employ a kind of "chiaroscuro" effect with the lighting, making shadows definite shadows and light areas completely lit - it's something I've heard Lumet talk about before, and something from the art world that he likes the look of. The half completely hidden, and the half completely exposed. In the meantime, Johnny Mandel's score can be hard to remember or pick up upon due to it's sparseness and the way it's sparingly used to pick up on the important moments that need an extra dramatic push. Everyone does just enough to accentuate and turn our attention to Galvin, his world and how it revolves around this one case.

Awards and filmmaking techniques pale in comparison to the way the film is written and the way Paul Newman gives us one of the best performances of his career. This is a film which knows exactly when to raise the stakes, and exactly how low and precarious everything gets for our protagonist. A great example is the part of the film where Newman's Galvin meets the victim's relatives for the second time - this time they're angry, and quite astonished that their lawyer has refused a settlement, and is taking the matter to trial without their approval. Now this means much more than Galvin's personal redemption - he's put not only his reputation, but two innocent lives at risk, and just as these stakes are raised, he finds out his star witness can't be contacted. It's the first moment in the film where we all feel a great big gush of "uh-oh", and it's done with such perfect precision that it affirms just how good a screenwriter David Mamet is. Lumet adds his interesting little touches - such as the pinball machine character trait, which is something the director used to do to see how his day and life were going at any particular time. Do well on the pinball machine, and you were in your groove and luck was on your side.

The difference between the pulp novel and the resulting film is also worth considering when the question is asked - "just how good is The Verdict?" The film added much more to the character of Frank Galvin, who in the novel is simply a "scrappy rogue" instead of a lost human being suffering from alcoholism. In the film one particular character close to Frank turns out to be working for the other side, and while in the film this is an enormous revelation, in the novel it's a small matter that's brushed off as being part of the law business. I found it interesting that they'd show Frank strike his lover, Laura - obviously this was taboo in 1982, and although we live in more progressive times, this was a gross overstepping of his bounds - but it's a strange situation. She cut him deeply. The depth of betrayal and amount of hurt that this does to Frank is incalculable, but at the same time he does something completely unacceptable at any time, and as an audience it's kind of thrilling to try and work that out morally in our own minds. It's what makes this such a fascinating and great movie, and Galvin an interesting and flawed character.

I love courtroom dramas. I was one of those rare people who actually felt fascinated to be called in for jury duty, and when I actually ended up on a jury in a trial, I ended up as the foreman. I won't lie - some courtroom procedures, and the thoroughness, can be stultifying boring, and it can be hard to simply stay awake. But those moments where people are testifying and being questioned, and the responsibility, really had me feeling a sense I was doing something important and worthwhile. For some, it was traumatic, for we were sending someone to jail (and we noticed, by way of having all of the guy's info, that the day we were giving our verdict happened to be his birthday.) One of the moments that still stands out to me is the huge mistake the defense lawyer made while questioning the victims wife (it is true - don't ask a witness a question unless you know what the answer will be.) I still remember, being the foreman, being closest to those testifying, and how the victim was visibly shuddering in fear when he was on the stand. Some of the biggest dramas outside of the battlefield are happening in courtrooms every day. The Verdict just happens to be one of the best of these films.

So, to end with, I have to use my little remaining effort again praising Paul Newman for an absolutely stellar performance - something critical to this film's success, and if it was up to me he'd have won an Oscar for this. He makes himself absolutely vulnerable, and was particularly brave in going all the way and making Frank Galvin someone who has absolutely plumbed the depths of his own despair, and it was Newman's own idea to use eye-drops during the first part of the film as someone trying to hide the redness of his booze-hazy eyes. It's a great film for those of us who are sick of corruption, and want to believe that court is the great leveler that it's meant to be (but is, in all actuality, mainly the great escape-hatch for the rich.) Lumet and Mamet made for a great combination, and when Newman was added to the mix then this great project turned into a film that ended up as one of the best of 1982. I'll never be averse to watching it. It's perfectly paced, and has that nearly flawless sheen of a production blessed by luck and talent from start to finish (Newman nearly died when some lights came crashing down during one shot - I'll count that as luck, for they missed.) I could say something like "This film is guilty of being a great film!" but instead I'll just say it's a great movie. That's my verdict.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I rewatched Days of Heaven (1978) today. Directed by the masterful Terrence Malick, the film stars Richard Gere, Brooke Adams, Sam Shepard, and Linda Manz. The first thing that jumps out is obviously the cinematography. This is a very beautiful film. Without a doubt, this has to be one of the most beautiful films ever. The performances are also quite good. Linda Manz is my favourite of the performances here. Her narration works really well with the tone and feel of the film. Richard Gere does a fine job too, as do the rest of the actors. The screenplay is well written and the dialogue often has a poetic and spiritual philosophical feel to it. The film has an almost dreamlike element to it, which is quite effective. This is my 3rd favourite Malick film and currently ranks as my 183rd favourite film of all time.

I forgot the opening line.
I also didn't care for the way the scene was handled with the black doctor where the judge interrupts Newman and takes over grilling the doctor and then dismisses him from the stand. That felt a little too stacked against Newman and a bit too far afield of believability. Not a deal breaker though.

This should place high on my ballot.
I like that scene more than you do, but I was still surprised that the judge asked a witness the kind of questions that a lawyer asks. I'm obviously no law expert - who knows, maybe it happens all the time - but I can't recall another legal drama where that happens.
In the audio commentary on the film Sidney Lumet tells us that this is a particular quirk of the Boston legal system, and that it harks back to the English trial regulations where judges could, and often do, ask questions of the witnesses themselves. The way the judge just openly flaunts his bias reminds me a bit of the Dominique Dunne murder case - a legal travesty.

I enjoyed the Boston bar scenes. I swear I've seen other bars in Boston, in movies that is, and they look similar. I wonder if bars at this time had that old world European look to them?
I either read it or Lumet said it, but that bar has actually been used in several movies - it might be the same exact cozy bar you've seen every time.

In the audio commentary on the film Sidney Lumet tells us that this is a particular quirk of the Boston legal system, and that it harks back to the English trial regulations where judges could, and often do, ask questions of the witnesses themselves. The way the judge just openly flaunts his bias reminds me a bit of the Dominique Dunne murder case - a legal travesty.

I either read it or Lumet said it, but that bar has actually been used in several movies - it might be the same exact cozy bar you've seen every time.
Interesting! Thanks for posting about the Boston judge and their legal system...I would've never guessed that. I'm glad you do some deep research on these movies! No wonder that Boston bar looked familiar to me, even though the only time I was in Boston I never got out of the car.

The Verdict -

This movie aims at telling three stories at once, i.e., a legal one, an underdog one and one about recovery, and it hits each mark. It not only does this while respecting your intelligence, but also rewards you for being a lover of movies. I say this because there are many moments that prove that actions speak louder than words and that you may miss if you look away at your cell phone for even an instant, whether it's Frank pausing while photographing his client, how Laura scans Frank's office or how Dr. Towler looks like he's seen a ghost when a certain witness appears in the courtroom. That same grace and subtlety is in the look of the locations, particularly the archdiocese's ornate and imposing office and the defense's posh and decked out facilities. They're ironic depictions, which is appropriate given the rich and powerful’s less than saintly goal of saving face first and serving justice second as well as in how they try to achieve it. While Frank's intentions may be more honorable, the movie is all the more interesting and better for not making him out to be a saint either. For the way our hero transitions from an ambulance-chasing barfly to someone worthy of respect and all his bursts of confidence and setbacks in between - not to mention that summation - Paul Newman makes the movie worth watching for his performance alone. Just as deserving of praise are Jack Warden's pal we wish we all had and James Mason, who achieves just the right level of love-to-hate smugness. For these reasons, not to mention for its optimism that it's never too late, even for a man like Frank Galvin, it's one of the largest feathers in Sidney Lumet's cap. Oh, all that and the fact that a young Bruce Willis is in the courtroom, of course.