Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

The trick is not minding
I'll probably check them out I see that the top Hollywood directors made war docs during the war, Ford, Huston, Capra and others.
I just realized I’ve been talking about George Stevens, but I actually meant Frank Capra. Lol. My bad.

There's a lot of Anime where the shrill voices of youngsters are like nails on a chalkboard for me, so I get that CR.
I'll be checking this one out tomorrow evening. Very curious about it, having loved Grave of Fireflies but being unable to see it again because of how hard it hits.
I watched 2/3rds of Barefoot Gen with English subs, but the kid's shrill voice was driving me crazy so for the last 30 minutes or so I switched to a copy with English dubbing....and guess what? The voice actor who did the English dubbing for the kid was still just as annoying. I guess that's just the way the character was written and intended to be performed. Now with Grave of the Fireflies I liked the kids and the way they were presented it seemed much more polished.

I just realized I’ve been talking about George Stevens, but I actually meant Frank Capra. Lol. My bad.
Could've fooled me I'm still wanting to see some of these docs but I've been watching WWII documentary series like WWII in color and the Pacific War in Color.

The trick is not minding
Could've fooled me I'm still wanting to see some of these docs but I've been watching WWII documentary series like WWII in color and the Pacific War in Color.
I watched The Battle of Midway (Ford short) and Carpra’s Prelude to War.
Both shared the first academy award for Best Documentary along with 2 others.

I watched The Battle of Midway (Ford short) and Carpra’s Prelude to War.
Both shared the first academy award for Best Documentary along with 2 others.
Did they seem to give a one sided story like 'we're invincible' or did the docs seem more well rounded?

The trick is not minding
Did they seem to give a one sided story like 'we're invincible' or did the docs seem more well rounded?
Battle for Midway was just a glorified celebration of a major Naval Victory, so it’s naturally one sided.

Prelude to War is one sided, but not actually inaccurate as one might assume. It explains how Hitler, Musolini and Hirohito rose to power and started their impersonal invasions before the onset of WW2. Its interesting, and even touches on various opponents of the the 3 Axis Leaders being executed or assassinated for opposing them.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Regeneration is on yt in two parts if you are looking for somewhere to watch it.

Based on the book by Pat Barker, it focuses on soldiers suffering from 'shell shock' being treated at Craiglockhart hospital. Some of the characters are fictional and some were real people - notably Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen, the war poets.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Looks like its on Roku as well.

Regeneration on Roku is much better video quality than the one on Youtube. The Youtube video is highly compressed with loss of detail in the background. The Roku video of looked real nice.

Just finished Regeneration. I must admit that I struggled with it quite a bit, but I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say. It was just too talk-heavy for my tastes and it looked and felt like a lifetime tv film.

The trick is not minding
Just finished Regeneration. I must admit that I struggled with it quite a bit, but I'm curious to hear what the rest of you have to say. It was just too talk-heavy for my tastes and it looked and felt like a lifetime tv film.
Apparently it was well received in Canada and was nominated their equivalent of the Oscar there. For what it’s worth.

Apparently it was well received in Canada and was nominated their equivalent of the Oscar there. For what it’s worth.
Yeah, and I don't mean to discourage anyone else from checking it out. I'm just providing my own thoughts on the film.

The trick is not minding
Yeah, and I don't mean to discourage anyone else from checking it out. I'm just providing my own thoughts on the film.
For what it’s worth I now feel discouraged from watching it….