MoFo Movie Roulette

Tools    

I'm really sorry @cricket, but...

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

I was bored to death here. Not a single character I cared for, obvious ending that's dragged on for two hours, and the only thing separating it from a billion other redneck-psychos-being-dicks movies is one trans-character. I had a very negative preconception of the film, and while it may have amplified things, I didn't find anything of interest here. There's a reason why I hadn't watched this before.

I feel bad for trashing one of your favorites, so I'll stop now. 100% subjective rating...

I'm really sorry @cricket, but...

Boys Don't Cry (1999)

I was bored to death here. Not a single character I cared for, obvious ending that's dragged on for two hours, and the only thing separating it from a billion other redneck-psychos-being-dicks movies is one trans-character. I had a very negative preconception of the film, and while it may have amplified things, I didn't find anything of interest here. There's a reason why I hadn't watched this before.

I feel bad for trashing one of your favorites, so I'll stop now. 100% subjective rating...

I'm surprised, but it is quite alright.

"After Hours"

Recommended by TheUsualSuspect

Surprised that this has escaped my attention for so long. Couple that and being a Dunne fan.

Love me some dark comedy and this one has interesting structure, once you figure in the assortment of characters involved. Most worked {Patricia Arquette,Linda Fiorentino}, some didn't (Teri Garr) and some needed more screen time (Will Patton).

Overall, a better than average comedy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I feel that After Hours and Bringing out the Dead are Scoresese's two most underrated movies.

Suspect's Reviews

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It took me a few tries to get into After Hours. It'll take a few more to be a fan of it. Solid film though.

Let the night air cool you off
I might be done with my film a little after the deadline, but I will get it done. Busy schedule with school/work/niece’s birthday party an hour away/life-in-general.

I might be done with my film a little after the deadline, but I will get it done. Busy schedule with school/work/niece’s birthday party an hour away/life-in-general.
No worries. I was done Elephant Man after deadline.

The Naked Island (1960)

I'm loving this Movie Roulette idea! So far I've seen four films that were suggested for me and really liked them all. But then there's The Naked Island suggested by @Allaby The Naked Island is so my type of film! It was slow but so in the moment...there was no dialogue and there wasn't a need for any. I was utterly fascinated by it every step of the way. I know when we do a Foreign Language Countdown The Naked Island is going to be on my list.

This is the only film I've seen from Kaneto Shindô but if his other films are as good as this, then I really need to check out his filmography!

The Naked Island (1960)

I'm loving this Movie Roulette idea! So far I've seen four films that were suggested for me and really liked them all. But then there's The Naked Island suggested by @Allaby The Naked Island is so my type of film! It was slow but so in the moment...there was no dialogue and there wasn't a need for any. I was utterly fascinated by it every step of the way. I know when we do a Foreign Language Countdown The Naked Island is going to be on my list.

This is the only film I've seen from Kaneto Shindô but if his other films are as good as this, then I really need to check out his filmography!

Glad you liked it!

The Naked Island (1960)

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I hope others are as well. I wanted to do something that wasn't 'too' demanding and people could keep a good pace of it.

Glad you liked it!
Have you seen more from the same director?

I'm glad you are enjoying it. I hope others are as well. I wanted to do something that wasn't 'too' demanding and people could keep a good pace of it.
I hope we can keep doing this. I know I'm game to join again and it seems others are liking it too.

Have you seen more from the same director?

I hope we can keep doing this. I know I'm game to join again and it seems others are liking it too.
I haven't seen any others from Shindô, but I hope to in the near future. I'm also really enjoying this game and hope it never ends! I'm looking forward to the next round.

The Hospital

Nominated by: @John Dumbear

What a weird little film. It wasn't as funny as I was expecting, certainly given the cartoonish style poster presented above and there are some truly dark moments involving suicide and rape, but the film managed to slide into this realm of its own. The busy atmosphere of the hospital reminded me of the busy atmosphere of The Paper, people doing their own thing as the camera captures brief moments in their day.

This film weaves in some murders, but it doesn't seem to be the central focus of it. Diana Rigg shows up, in a role that makes me see why she was cast in Game of Thrones. There's a scene with her and George C. Scott in one room and they each have a monologue. It's a simple one-sided monologue, then the other. Probably the stand out scene for me, showcases great writing and great acting.

I would have liked a bit more of the murder mystery aspect to be brought forth and I was scratching my head as to why the Rigg's character was there at all until the nice reveal at the end. Some character decisions left me confused and I couldn't buy the 'love' story for a second. I'm glad I checked it out because I had never heard of it before.

@TheUsualSuspect

Dust Devil (1992) - a bit dreamy horror with some resemblance to Fulci. Again, Final Cut (108 min) is highly preferred

Brimstone (2016) - a bleak, biblical western that borders on horror

Freaks (2018) - I don't want to say much about this for fear of spoilers. It's one of my favorites from 2018, though