Inherent Vice-A PTA Club Discussion

→ in
Tools    

This was my fourth time watching Inherent Vice. I love it but am still disappointed that it doesn't hit the heights of his previous five for me. That is a lot to ask of any director so I need to get over it. Technically this movie is perfect and hits all the right notes again as far as cinematography, score, and performances. My problem is that even after four viewings I am still spending time trying to remember where all the pieces fit and I really don't enjoy that aspect of it. It especially is frustrating because at the end of the day it is totally unnecessary. I don't think the plot is actually anymore complicated than his other films, it is just written in a way that it seems complicated while watching. My only gripe but it is enough to make this film different than his others. Sitting at a solid
for me.

Welcome to the human race...
I'm thinking of running through PTA's filmography in the lead-up to Phantom Thread (except Hard Eight because I don't own it), so I might come back once I hit Inherent Vice.

I'm thinking of running through PTA's filmography in the lead-up to Phantom Thread (except Hard Eight because I don't own it), so I might come back once I hit Inherent Vice.
There are threads for the others as well. I think I am the only one who watched them all but a couple others have joined in.

I'm not the biggest PTA fan. I find his movies terribly hard to watch. I get it he is a quality filmmaker but some of his films are choirs to watch to me. This one to me, it's been awhile since I've seen it, was totally forgettable. Was all over the place. Was a genuine struggle to follow the plot to me.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

This will definitely be an interesting one to rewatch as I wasn't particularly fond of watching this the first time. Would be interesting to see what a second watch does for this

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.