Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Wild (2014)
-
Great performances put in by Witherspoon and Dern. Enough for the nod, but I don't think either will be winning. (I haven't seen all the performances yet though) I have never heard Reese cuss so much and I have to say I enjoyed it. Her journey both physically and emotionally was equal parts entertaining and powerful. Dern stole the show for me as the overarching presence in Witherspoon coming to terms with tragedy and understanding that her journey through life is unique to her and not worth regretting.
There were also some lovely feminist themes that make me happy inside. I have this hope that men that see this movie will be able to grasp a bit better how scary it can be to be a woman sometimes.

Wild (2014)
-
Great performances put in by Witherspoon and Dern. Enough for the nod, but I don't think either will be winning. (I haven't seen all the performances yet though) I have never heard Reese cuss so much and I have to say I enjoyed it. Her journey both physically and emotionally was equal parts entertaining and powerful. Dern stole the show for me as the overarching presence in Witherspoon coming to terms with tragedy and understanding that her journey through life is unique to her and not worth regretting.
There were also some lovely feminist themes that make me happy inside. I have this hope that men that see this movie will be able to grasp a bit better how scary it can be to be a woman sometimes.
OMG this was so good. Definitely Reese Witherspoon's best performance yet. Great movie about life and finding yourself.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Wow, thats erm..... something. Sounds like the soundtrack to a Takashi Miike film
I never would have guessed myself that Death Metal + Jpop = not only awesome, but weirdly fitting.

Wild (2014)
-
This really makes me wish that I had seen it while it was still in theaters over here, that and the fact that it was nominated for two acting Oscars.

All the President's Men (1976)

This was a re-watch. I hadn't seen it since the early 80's and I wasn't sure that I watched it in its entirety so I dove in again. Excellent movie about the beginning of the unraveling of the Watergate break-in by two reporters on the staff of The Washington Post, Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein (Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman, respectively). Despite the two stars, I felt that this was more of an ensemble piece, what with all the names involved. Despite the famous or infamous take-down of all the famous government people involved, the movie is a nice insider's view of the work of reporters and, at least in that day and time, how hard it was to piece a story together and have it be accepted for publication.

Taken and Taken 2 (2008) and (2012)

I got a Blu-Ray with both films in the package at a reasonable price. Popped them in and had a great time. Nothing classic, but just a good time as Liam Neeson first goes after his kidnapped daughter and slaughters anyone in his way, then in the second film, gets taken along with his wife by the relatives of the dead men Neeson wasted in the first film. Needless to say, he is not a happy man but he vents by cracking necks and shooting. Seriously, I enjoyed them very much.

Both films:

Lord High Filmquisitor

Whiplash - 8.5/10

Although not quite as intense as I was hoping for (thanks to a late film lull between climaxes), it is my second favorite of the Best picture nominees that I have seen (trailing behind Birdman, which I gave the same score to). It features two outstanding performances, of which J.K. Simmons is practically assured to win an Oscar (and for good reason). It's intense, darkly obsessive and has what is hands down the best soundtrack of any film this year not named Guardians of the Galaxy. The fact that it's only my ninth favorite film of the year is testament to the fact of how strong the year has been for film on the whole (even if the prestige films seem somewhat less awesome than they have been in years past).

The Theory of Everything - 7/10

Despite being my least favorite of the Best Picture nominees (with only Boyhood remaining to be seen), it was actually a lot better than I thought that it would be. And yes, while the story as a whole does tend to be a bit more saccharine than needed, it is a generally well directed, generally well-written film that features some of the most singularly outstanding performances of the year. Even though my money (an hope) is still on Keaton to win Best Actor, a Redmayne upset would not be entirely loathesome, as he does an absolutely stellar job bringing nuance and depth to a performance where he can barely move a muscle, especially in his most dramatic scenes. Felicity Jones is nearly as good and is my second favorite female performance of the year. The rest of the supporting cast range from above-average to great themselves.

Boyhood

The novelty is just for selling purposes, there's genuinely a lot of good stuff in Boyhood.

Here are the lastest few new movies i've watched.

WARNING: SOME OF THESE REVIEWS CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THESE MOVIES, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE DON'T READ THE REVIEW I HAVE MADE FOR IT YOU CAN SIMPLY LOOK AT MY RATING

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
-
WARNING: "contains some spoilers" spoilers below
Okay um, before getting into the review itself i must say i am a HUGE Lord of the Rings fan, love the original trilogy more than any other, but this last Hobbit movie was a disappointment. All of the Legolas fight scenes couldn't save this movie. Many plot holes and the special effects were so cartoonish. The story itself wasn't done to it's full potential and the transition from Desolation (My personal favorite out of the 3 Hobbit Movies) to this one was bad, the story that ended on a cliffhanger a year ago was wrapped up before the opening credits. It wasn't the worst movie i've seen but it is easily the worst of the 6 Middle Earth films. I unfortunately have to give it an 3.5/5 which isn't bad for a movie in general but compared to the other Middle Earth movies this is a disappointment.

Birdman
-
WARNING: "contains some spoilers" spoilers below
I was very impressed with this movie. Keaton is back people, and in a big way (Love that he will be starring in the next Kong movie Skull Island with Hiddleston and Simmons). The ending of this movie was great (Although that hospital scene kind of brought it down a bit, ending on that final play scene would of been perfect). The other supporting cast was great too (Norton, Stone, Galifianakis, and the rest) and the way this movie was shot felt like the camera never stopped rolling, Which plays into that final scene well where there was an actual cut which suggests that his life did in fact end when he pull the trigger on that stage, can't give this movie anything but a 4.5/5.

Nightcrawler
- Jake's best performance to date, the transformation in his character throughout this movie is one of the best i've seen in recent years. The movie itself was a thrill ride in some spots and it really shows you what lengths some people will go to achieve greatness and success.

Fury
- I decided to watch this movie for the cast alone. The movie itself was great but that ending really killed it for me. Still Pitt, Bernthal (Who i loved as Shane on The Walking Dead), Pena, and Lerman were great and suprisingly have to say LaBeouf really impressed me as well. The action scenes were amazingly done and it really captured what some soldiers had to go through during WWII.

Unregistered User

Shame (2011)

Easily one of the most powerful films i've watched in a long time, possibly ever. For me its Fassbender's (and probably McQueens) best performance, that I have seen. Utterly tragic, haunting and borderline disturbing, Shame is such a raw and, excuse the pun, naked character study of a sex addict. I can see why the likes of Minio holds this in such high regard.

Absolutely devastating.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The Fire Within (1963)
A gem!
"Le feu follet" (original title)

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Good, but not as good as I thought it would be. I would have prefered if the sections of the film where the sniper returned home to his family were missing because it ruined the flow of the film.

One of the best films I've seen about Northern Island and the IRA. Great performance from Jack O' Connell.

300: Rise of an Empire

Eagle Eye

The Zero Theorem

Von Ryan's Express

The Rookie

Blood Work

The Orphanage

Cape Fear (Original)

What Becomes of the Broekn Hearted

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
IL GRIDO (Antonioni) 6.5/10 - Very interesting theme, and could have been greater if it had more than just the surface. Even one of the women say "As soon as you open your mouth you clam up"

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Gambler (Reisz) (1974, not the New Kid on the Block) - 6/10

Very predictable, but you understand in a way, but can't in other ways. Wish there was more between the mother (who I felt bad for) and son, rather than his girlfriend who doesn't play a very important role, she's just there for her boobs.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

More like endless. Recommend it to someone you hate.

At the request of one of the people here I watched A Bronx Tale. What a terrific film! I loved the relationship the boy and the mobster had. I also liked how both him and his father wanted the best for him but in different ways.

7/10

Super Fly (1972)

Movie from the early 70's that turns out to be more style than substance, although lead actor Ron O'Neal does a good job. He's a dope dealer looking to make the cliche' "one last score" so he can retire and he and his girl can leave the lifestyle, hopefully with a million dollars in tow. It moves pretty slowly through most of the film, but the last ten minutes or so make it worthwhile.