'It's A Wonderful Life' Sequel

Tools    

Well, George Bailey wasn't able to sign up when WWII started...

... so this'll be a relative, possibly Grandson of George Bailey who sees George's dreams to fruition by enlisting in the Military...

... then during 9/11 he loses his sight in one eye while trying to save his Sister from being killed at the Twin Tower attack...

... but he ends up depressed and finds himself again during the Easter Holidays...

... with lots of CGI.

A sequel to It's a Wonderful Life? Stop this now!

If the idea of sequel-ing It’s a Wonderful Life doesn’t immediately infuriate you, the proposed plot certainly should:
Karolyn Grimes, who played George Bailey’s daughter “Zuzu” in the original, will return for the “Wonderful Life” sequel as an angel who shows Bailey’s unlikeable grandson (also named George Bailey) how the world would be if he had he never been born.
In addition to Grimes, the actors who played Tommy Bailey (Jimmy Hawkins) and Janie Bailey (Carol Coombs) are also reportedly slated to reprise their roles—not that you should care since Grimes and Coombs haven’t acted in more than a half-century (Hawkins’ last role was in 1974). But wait, there’s more:
  • Producers say they want to film in Louisiana, where there is no winter.
  • The film is tentatively titled It’s a Wonderful Life: The Rest of the Story, which—aside from being the least inspired title in movie history—would make it a very short film since there is no rest of the story to tell.
  • The budget for the film will reportedly be between $25-35 million, which seems like a lot of money to spend just to ruin the 2015 holiday season, especially when it could be spent funding part of Fast & Furious 9 or really anything else that isn’t this.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The problem with this film in my eyes is that it's sorta misguided. George Bailey has an excellent life with a loving family and caring friends, yet he tries to commit suicide over one bad day.I mean i get that it's a film, and i get the positive message it's sending but it just doesn't work for me.Plus the angels decide to help him out of all the people there in the world struggling.In my eyes this is a
movie.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It's a
film! I don't watch it every Christmas, but perhaps I should.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

The problem with this film in my eyes is that it's sorta misguided. George Bailey has an excellent life with a loving family and caring friends, yet he tries to commit suicide over one bad day.I mean i get that it's a film, and i get the positive message it's sending but it just doesn't work for me.Plus the angels decide to help him out of all the people there in the world struggling.In my eyes this is a
movie.
There are many different angels that have to help many different people. He was specifically chosen to be Bailey's guardian angel and that's why he's there at the moment Bailey needs him. Every good person deserves help.
It's also not that 'one bad day' that makes him jump. From the beginning of the film, we see that George is an ambitious child/man. We see him making compromises (due to uncontrollable, external factors) all the time and at a certain point (on the so-called bad day) he realises that he will never be able to do the things he always wanted to do since his ambitious youth. His life suddenly seems completely empty and meaningless. While drunk, he even claims that it would have been better if he wasn't born.

I thought it came over as very realistic and genuin and I still think it's one of the strongest films ever made in terms of emotions and sending a feel good message to the audience.

For me it's a
movie. I absolutely adore it.

That's why I don't want this pathetic sequel.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I really like your analysis Cobpyth. I might have to reavaluate the film one day. I really did want to like the film, it just didn't do anything for me.

I really like your analysis Cobpyth. I might have to reavaluate the film one day. I really did want to like the film, it just didn't do anything for me.
I understand. That happens. Sometimes it's merely an inexplicable feeling that makes you like/dislike a film.

This will be in the bargain bin quicker than a flash. Just like the Raging Bull sequel that was announced and no-one cared about...

I think the difference with this though is that people do care about there being a sequel. Thy care in the way that they absolutely hate the idea.

I mean, even the studio is fighting it. For a studio to fight against a sequel, it has to be a bad situation.

I think the difference with this though is that people do care about there being a sequel. Thy care in the way that they absolutely hate the idea.

I mean, even the studio is fighting it. For a studio to fight against a sequel, it has to be a bad situation.
For sure yeah.

Its a cynical cash grab done on a low budget that no-one apart from the actors in it and creative team wants.

I just don't think people need to worry, stuff like Robocop 3 existing doesn't devalue the original for example.

It does kinda taint it though.

I mean, The Thing (2010) was a slap in the face for fans of Carpenter's masterpiece, myself included.
They take a decent premise, a successful film... and destroy the memory of it by making cashed-in follow ups that,
A: Aren't needed
B: Aren't wanted
C: Shouldn't even be considered

Yet they do it anyway, and end up watering it down for a younger audience, solely for the cash they get from the unknowing audience who didn't get the chance to see the original when it was around or are too young to appreciate it.

RoboCop remake, Total Recall remake, Oz The great And The Powerful... and now, It's A Wonderful Life.

My recent post Movie News I've Learned Today with the next 10 years worth of films are all remakes or cash-in sequels.
The past 3 or 4 years of major productions have been sequels or remake of some kind as well.

It gives a loving audience the impression that filmmakers have no respect for their fans and have little to no interest in the people who made them rich and famous.
Without the audience, these guys are nothing... nothing... yet they never take that advice and simply crap all over the people that made them what they are.

Good point well made Rodent.

Not sure it always devalue it though (respectfully of course). For example, I love The Thing (think its as good as Alien) and found the remake to be total crap (is it a remake or a sequel?! the film itself doesn't even know) but i honestly forgot that it even existing till you mentioned it.

The Things rep is still intact basically, in my mind anyway.

Yeah the film's credibility is fine, it's the memory of it and the respect for the audience that's in tatters.

But yeah, it's meant to be a prequel based at the Norwegian camp a few days before Carpenter's film... even though there are scenes in the 2010 film that mirror the original and there's even some recycled/stolen dialogue too.
I said in a review I did that it's more of a remake than the prequel it's trying to be.

I guess.

As for Thing, that's it isnt it, it has so many elements of the Carpenter version but it basically bookends the movie with the prequel stuff, with the central section being a remake. Very poor stuff, not helped by the reduced rating and reliance on CG that isn't half as good as Rob Bottins effects.