Ozark

Tools    

Many shows could not effectively continue if you removed the main character, and if the audience knows that, they know the character is not in real danger. Smarter shows, therefore, don't even try to pretend the main character might die.
I take your point, but (and I am belaboring my own point here), if you watched Gomorrah you would be amazed that Marco D'Amore was written out of the show due to the murder of his character. (I believe he requested it.) I was flabbergasted because even though the other main character continues Marco totally made the show for me. I didn’t see how it could continue without him, but it does & successfully too.

Yeah, when they can make it work they can score a real shocker of a moment. Cool when it happens. More viable in some shows than others, to be sure.

They could do it for Ozark fairly easily, I think. Marty would be the toughest to do it without, not from a narrative perspective, but just for the overall appeal of the show (he's also, at the moment, more likable than Wendy, even though she's very very compelling in a different way).

⬆️ So what you’re saying is if there’s a pair one could disappear.

In Breaking Bad Walter would have to stay. Couldn’t & wouldn’t be a show without him. Carmela would have to go in The Sopranos.

Agree that Marty would have to stay. It wouldn’t be a decent show without him. But I would also want Wendy to stay. I probably relate to the women more (I did the same in GOT) & I’m sad that Helen has gone since she was also very compelling. She was an unusual woman, to say the least.

Ozark seemed to fall apart gradually during season 3. Some of the bizarre change of directions I think of were just for that, with no true organic development with what characters may do, but moreso where the writers wanted them to end up at. Darlenes Mrs Robinsonesque story arc is strong in the dumbass and Marty's plan to flip a fed rather than flip himself borders on idiotic. Marty is too smart to be that stupid.

After LOST I have become hardened to outrageous twists in a storyline, and have little faith nowadays that a show will have it all make sense later. I do enjoy Batemans performance, and some others, but unless season 4 starts strong and makes sense doing it I'll probably abandon the show. I'll still give it that chance though.

⬆️ Good points. But the entire show is “bizarre” if you think about it. What rational parents would expose their children to such danger? They even considered (actually Wendy still does) taking a baby on board.

I started this like couple of weeks ago. I've only managed to watch four episodes during that time so it's quite safe to say that I'm not hooked. Then again, I never got any further than that into Breaking Bad either (and this is often compared to that, right?) so maybe it's just not for me.

I started this like couple of weeks ago. I've only managed to watch four episodes during that time so it's quite safe to say that I'm not hooked. Then again, I never got any further than that into Breaking Bad either (and this is often compared to that, right?) so maybe it's just not for me.
I don’t really see the connection between Ozark & Breaking Bad, but that’s just me.

I really love both shows & did right from the start. Are the shows more appealing to those of us in America rather than those who live in Europe like you do? I don’t know.

I don’t really see the connection between Ozark & Breaking Bad, but that’s just me.

I really love both shows & did right from the start. Are the shows more appealing to those of us in America rather than those who live in Europe like you do? I don’t know.
I don't think it's a Europe vs America thing. At least I'm hearing mostly positive things about these shows locally as well. It's most likely just me.

4th season of Ozark will be the final season. It will comprise 14 episodes rather than 10.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The one clear connection I see between this and BB is the brutality. Started s3 and it was intense. Never pick up the cash.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The one clear connection I see between this and BB is the brutality. Started s3 and it was intense. Never pick up the cash.
Agreed. It feels like an even darker version of BB. Then again, it does have less humor and fewer funny characters. Plus, BB being set in New Mexico meant it was virtually always sunny and bright during any daylight scenes. I think that made it feel less suffocating. Some episodes of Ozark are really tough to get through because of how desperate they feel.

And, of course, there seems to be a lot more potential collateral damage with "innocent" characters like kids.

Finally!

Gonna have to watch at least the final episode last season to refresh what the heck was going on.

The Adventure Starts Here!
The 4th season was too short
I think they're doing the fashionable thing and have divided the 4th season into groups of seven episodes, yes? I heard that the next set of episodes drops in May.

Not gonna read anything in this thread until I start the final season. Careful with SPOILERS people.

Duplicate Account (locked)
I think they're doing the fashionable thing and have divided the 4th season into groups of seven episodes, yes? I heard that the next set of episodes drops in May.

Yeah I was thinking that's what they meant when they said "they will finish up in season 4", how sad I felt thinking that was it!