22nd Hall of Fame

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Just caught up with this thread - been vacant for almost two weeks while finishing up the Western and Noir HoFs, so I will be diving in and knocking out films. Most likely start with Mildred Pierce tonight, I think. And, as I finish ones I haven't seen I'll go back enjoy the conversations and write ups on those films.

And, since I missed the initial post during that time, my condolences as well on the passing of your mother, @Thursday Next. Take care my dear!

The Last Picture Show (Peter Bogdanovich 1971)

There are two movies that I've reviewed since joining MoFo that I feel I got wrong...The Last Picture Show is one of those.

On my second time watching this my appreciate has grown quite a bit. What I thought were flaws was actually director Peter Bogdanovich's vision of things long passed. It's like opening an old photo book and taking a look back on other people's lives who lived long ago in some small desolate town. Life there is bleak as the blown wind that sweeps down the asphalt. No one really has any hope there, they just sort of exist the best they can. We're shown these images from afar as if we're seeing back in time and seeing how these smashed dreams came and went like dust in the proverbial wind.

The cast was great, and what a great discovery Bogdanovich made in hiring Cybil Shepard for her first movie! No wonder all the boys went crazy for her. Timothy Bottoms is real good here, as is Ben Johnson as Sam the Lion...Eileen Brennan & Cloris Leachman were stand outs too. I loved the shooting location that Bogdanovich used and thank goodness Orson Welles convinced him to shoot this is black & white.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_num4g7hy6a1s39hlao7_500.png
Views:	203
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	65232  

There are two movies that I've reviewed since joining MoFo that I feel I got wrong...The Last Picture Show is one of those.

On my second time watching this my appreciate has grown quite a bit. What I thought were flaws was actually director Peter Bogdanovich's vision of things long passed. It's like opening an old photo book and taking a look back on other people's lives who lived long ago in some small desolate town. Life there is bleak as the blown wind that sweeps down the asphalt. No one really has any hope there, they just sort of exist the best they can. We're shown these images from afar as if we're seeing back in time and seeing how these smashed dreams came and went like dust in the proverbial wind.

The cast was great, and what a great discovery Bogdanovich made in hiring Cybil Shepard for her first movie! No wonder all the boys went crazy for her. Timothy Bottoms is real good here, as is Ben Johnson as Sam the Lion...Eileen Brennan & Cloris Leachman were stand outs too. I loved the shooting location that Bogdanovich used and thank goodness Orson Welles convinced him to shoot this is black & white.
This has been one of my favorite movies. It sets a tone which inhabits a location that is distinctly American. I saw it when it came out while I was on tour in England. It made me so homesick that I couldn't wait to get back to the States.

I loved Ben Johnson in his role. But Cloris Leachman was the standout performance for me. In fact she won an Academy Award for it. She has tremendous breadth and depth as an actress. That's why it was so peculiar seeing her all those years in an enjoyable but silly role in the MT Moore show. Glad she got the payday though.

But IMO this is one of Bogdanovich's finest.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Queen of Hearts (Dronningen)

"Sometimes what happens and what must never happen are the same thing."

I could probably count the Danish films I have seen on one hand – Festen, a few Dreyers and Brotherhood (a film about gay neo-Nazis that was nominated in a film tournament on here once upon a time (remember tournaments – what we had before we had halls of fame )). I should probably watch more Danish films – recommendations welcome! In fact there's a lot of countries I should watch more films from, perhaps some country-specific hofs are due...

Anyway...at the start of David Copperfield, he says something about whether he will turn out to be the hero of his own life. Here, instead, we have a protagonist who turns out to be the villain of her own life. The film plays with perspective and sympathy well – by the time Anne’s villainy begins, we have sympathy for her, so its all the more jarring – although there are signs earlier on in both her conversations with her husband and at work, that Anne is an uncompromising character and will do what she wants to stay in control. There are also hints throughout about Anne’s past which are intriguing (was she abused as child? Why doesn’t she speak to her mother?). In the aftermath of the affair, we are still rooted firmly in her perspective so the tension from her fear of discovery remains, even as that sympathy is turned upside down like the trees in the opening shot.

The most shocking part is not even the seduction, but her callous and calculating treatment of Gustav afterwards. She of all people who should know the damage she has done, and the further damage of denial. Only earlier she is confronting a rapist in a car park after he is acquitted, she then effectively becomes him. At one point, Anne says to her husband, “you think I’m a monster.” It’s an interesting line, because of she hasn’t been portrayed as a monster, but more as selfishly, disgustingly human. It is human nature, the dark side of it, that is being explored. Also because she defines herself so much by her ‘perfect’ life – job, marriage, children, house – that she cannot imagine herself without it, cannot admit to the monstrous thing she has done ("What are you most afraid of?" "That everything will disappear."). Towards the end, Anne shows such a lack of empathy that you wonder whether the empathy she has shown to clients earlier in the film is all fake. Her children, too, sometimes seem more like trophies of her life rather than people with whom she has empathetic interactions with as people in their own right.

One thing that made me think was the reaction of Anne’s sister. How much is she complicit by not telling someone else what she has seen? In an affair between adults, perhaps it would not be her place to interfere, but in the circumstances, shouldn’t she have done something more? She might still, beyond the timeframe of the film, and there is always that possibility hanging over Anne. It’s a horrible position for her to be in, it could make a film in its own right.

There is a sense of subtly creeping tension throughout the whole film; even from the start there is this feeling of something about to go wrong. It’s very well shot – the lighting and the way it switches from cold to warm, and the unflinching close-ups of trees. The sex scenes are pretty unflinching too – I wasn’t expecting them to be quite so explicit. It’s certainly a brave performance by the lead actress, Trine Dyrholm, and as a lot of the drama is her inner drama and conveyed through her expressions and physical performance, I thought she was fantastic.

All in all I thought it was a gripping film, not an easy or a pleasant watch but very well made and thought provoking.

This has been one of my favorite movies. It sets a tone which inhabits a location that is distinctly American. I saw it when it came out while I was on tour in England. It made me so homesick that I couldn't wait to get back to the States.

I loved Ben Johnson in his role. But Cloris Leachman was the standout performance for me. In fact she won an Academy Award for it. She has tremendous breadth and depth as an actress. That's why it was so peculiar seeing her all those years in an enjoyable but silly role in the MT Moore show. Glad she got the payday though.

I'm looking forward to this one. The few Bogdanovich films I've seen have been exceptional. Two of which, What's Up Doc? and Paper Moon I've loved since childhood. The only other film of his I've seen was Mask.

Mildred Pierce

Mildred: Wally, you should be kept on a leash! Now why can't you be friendly?
Wally: But I AM being friendly!
Mildred: No, I mean it. Friendship's much more lasting than love.
Wally: Yeah, but it isn't as entertaining.

This is a great film that I would watch more often if I didn't get so d@mn angry watching it.
And that is really due to the excellent portrayal of a petulant, spoiled, avarice, and callously devious daughter, Veda by Ann Blyth. The masks she wears, the nuances and glimpses beneath, to when she let's loose. . . She's so brilliant at being such a beguiling serpent that I utterly f@ckin DESPISE the character SO much, I just go berserk every time she walks all over her mother. And THEN I get angry with her mother for LETTING HER!

Otherwise, this could easily be one I go back to, again and again.
Now, admittedly, I do have a problem seeing Joan Crawford as a martyr, which is totally on me.
BUT--
considering all the Westerns I've been watching recently I have NEVER EVER seen a quick draw that even comes CLOSE to when she double slaps Veda!

If not for the incredibly loud "slap" effect, you could so easily have missed it, it's that fast.

And then she goes and ruins it by apologizing and weeping. . . Joan, Joan, Joan, why?! WHY!?

But enough of that.
This IS a great movie that definitely dances around the limits set up by the Hays Code with grace and skill. The story is very well done and the cinematography is ripe with some fantastic compositions and lighting.
Along with these two there are two people I have loved since I was a kid.
Supporting actor extraordinaire: Jack Carson and the Lady of the Deliciously Biting Wit: Eve Arden. Their characters and their presence are a seriously wonderful addition to the cast.
And if I'm going to do mentions then I really should add Zachary Scott playing the ne'er-do-well playboy.

So, a definitive BRAVO, CR, for a great movie that lights such a fire under this grumpy old hump of mine

Mildred Pierce (Michael Curtiz 1945)

Joan Crawford made a huge comeback in 1945's Mildred Pierce. Director Michael Curtiz was reluctant to hire the once big movie star, as she had a reputation for being difficult to work with...and in the last few years Joan Crawford hadn't been been as popular as she once was. In the 1930s Joan Crawford was one of the biggest stars working. It's a good thing for Miss Crawford that she was given the role... A role that has her as a working class mom who works herself to the bone, to give her only child, a spoiled brat of a daughter all the luxuries she had been denied in her own life.

This might sound like a soap opera...but thanks to the flashback opening scenes that starts the movie with Joan being taken to police headquarters for a murder she seems to have committed a mystery in afoot. But did she do it? That's the mystery and that's the rub and Mildred Pierce has several sub stories running along with the main theme that makes this movie a master piece of screen writing.

Nominated for 6 Oscars, and winning one, Best Actress for Joan Crawford and one and only time she would win that. Joan gives her all to movie, she pours herself into her role, that's something she was known to do even later in her career when she did b budget horror films she would give it everything she had!....The role of Mildred Pierce was not unlike her own life and her strained realtionship with her daugher who'd later write Mommie Dearest.

Ann Blyth plays her spoiled rotten daughter to perfection. She was nominated for best supporting actress her and well deserved too. The rest of the cast is great, Jack Carson getting a nice amount of screen time. Loved the beach house, how cool was that! One of my favorite movies!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mildred Pierce 1945.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	65265  

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Oh yeah! Glad this one turned around for you!

I'm looking forward to this one. The few Bogdanovich films I've seen have been exceptional. Two of which, What's Up Doc? and Paper Moon I've loved since childhood. The only other film of his I've seen was Mask.

For those of you who like Peter Bogdanovich, TCM has been doing a series of podcasts called "The Plot Thickens".

They're available to listen, download, or read the transcript here:

https://theplotthickens.tcm.com/

As far as I know, you do NOT have to sign up for these podcasts, but you can subscribe to them if you want to.

For those of you who like Peter Bogdanovich, TCM has been doing a series of podcasts called "The Plot Thickens".

As far as I know, you do NOT have to sign up for these podcasts, but you can subscribe to them if you want to.
Thanks for the heads-up, GB! These look like perfect podcasts to download and listen to in the car...

Ah rats, I thought I had one you hadn't seen. Oh well maybe next time
Actually, this is more on the uncommon to rare side that I have seen your moms. Though if I have, it's a good chance it's one I really enjoy.
Not on the level of a @Miss Vicky nom, mind you -- but still

THANKS I'll have to check it out

Aight, so I’m actually DONE.

Still got some reviewing to do but as far as the movies go they have all been watched. I’ll wait with compiling the list until I have all the reviews done. Sometimes it’s good to kind of go over the movies again through writing about them and then make my final decision.

It has been an interesting HoF with many great noms and a good mix of very different genres, countries and styles. I liked that.

The Matrix, State of Siege and Dronningen will receive reviews as soon as possible.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Aight, so I’m actually DONE.

Still got some reviewing to do but as far as the movies go they have all been watched. I’ll wait with compiling the list until I have all the reviews done. Sometimes it’s good to kind of go over the movies again through writing about them and then make my final decision.

It has been an interesting HoF with many great noms and a good mix of very different genres, countries and styles. I liked that.

The Matrix, State of Siege and Dronningen will receive reviews as soon as possible.
Really glad that you joined us and glad you loved the mix!

Hopefully you can join us on future ones too!

I didn't listen but did any of you check it out? I always thought Peter Bogdanovich was an interesting director and film historian too.