Subjects Film Never Seems To Cover

Tools    

Saw this movie. Love Ray Winstone, but the book was actually much better.
If he hasn't already he should get a mention in the challenging roles thread. I can imagine the book being even tougher somehow.

If he hasn't already he should get a mention in the challenging roles thread. I can imagine the book being even tougher somehow.
Challenging roles thread?

Apparently, Winstone was very very leery of the scene in Quadrophenia where he had to be in a bathtub & would possibly show his genitals. I kept thinking of this in War Zone since the movie didn’t work if the actor was shy with nudity. The book pulled no punches IIRC, but was tastefully written.

This might just do nobody any good.
If he hasn't already he should get a mention in the challenging roles thread.
Hmm. I’ve only ever thought of him as one note. Gruff British guy (or gruff Boston guy, though that accent in The Departed was certainly not Bostonian).

Hmm. I’ve only ever thought of him as one note. Gruff British guy (or gruff Boston guy, though that accent in The Departed was certainly not Bostonian).
I loved him in Sexy Beast & Nil By Mouth.

This might just do nobody any good.
Haven’t seen Nil by Mouth. I should tho, now that Gary’s got an Oscar I feel the itch of going back and revisiting some favorites and watching some new ones from him (got my eye on Mean Time with Mike Leigh and Tim Roth).

I liked Ray in 44 Inch Chest where he plays a gruff British guy too.

I was watching him in an advert one day and with his beard and general manner I thought: he'd have made a good Professor Challenger. He's too tall unfortunately, like most of the actors that would have been great in the role. James Robertson Justice is another example. Bob Hoskins did play him and I think quite well .

I liked Ray in 44 Inch Chest where he plays a gruff British guy too.
Well he's a Cockney if that's any help . I liked John Hurt, he made me laugh .

Have you seen Ladybird, Ladybird (1994)? That's very good. I think the right phrase is uncompromising .

And any Ray Winstone fan should check out both versions of Scum.

Have you seen Ladybird, Ladybird (1994)? That's very good. I think the right phrase is uncompromising .
Netflix doesn’t have this movie, unfortunately. Sounds like Cathy Come Home, which I loved.

And any Ray Winstone fan should check out both versions of Scum.
I may have seen this. Not too too fond of movies about the dregs of British society, as it were. Even Nil By Mouth was rather guastly, but I’ve seen it twice.

I may have seen this. Not too too fond of movies about the dregs of British society, as it were. Even Nil By Mouth was rather guastly, but I’ve seen it twice.
One amazing thing that I didn't know until recently was that Winstone was at one time going to play both the Krays, much like Tom Hardy just has. He describes visiting Ronnie Kray in prison in his autobiography.

One amazing thing that I didn't know until recently was that Winstone was at one time going to play both the Krays, much like Tom Hardy just has. He describes visiting Ronnie Kray in prison in his autobiography.
I can see that, but, sometimes, it’s better to have an unexpected actor in the role. I rather enjoyed Legend though one viewing was enough.

I can see that, but, sometimes, it’s better to have an unexpected actor in the role. I rather enjoyed Legend though one viewing was enough.
I think Hardy was the closest in appearance so far. I mean he was pretty good. And obviously could represent their being so physically similar far more successfully than the Kemp brothers, who were also very good.

I didn't say there weren't any, but name one in the past 10-20 years that is common knowledge

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
One thing about the Vietnam war that is almost never covered is the Vietnamese' side of the story. It's always the American side of the ware, accept for the movie Heaven and Earth, but other than that, I would like to see more of the Vietnamese view of it.

One thing about the Vietnam war that is almost never covered is the Vietnamese' side of the story. It's always the American side of the ware, accept for the movie Heaven and Earth, but other than that, I would like to see more of the Vietnamese view of it.
The Siege of Firebase Gloria (1989) comes as close as in American made film to showing the other side of the Vietnam war as people, and not canon fodder.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay, thanks, I might have to check it out! No critics reviewed it on rottentomatoes at all, so that's a sign that it didn't get around much.

This is an amazing documentary that shows the war from all sides.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
You'd have to watch Vietnamese movies for that, or better still go to Amazing Vietnam and spend days in their war memorials, though I suspect you'd get dismayed pretty fast at signs
calling you an imperialist dog, unless you do think that way as well. Other than that, its an amazing country with beautiful people but just thinking out loud, I dont recall meeting many Americans on my trip there. (you are Merican, right? Unless mofos say ortherwise I just err on the ledge of caution and think of them as American, but your call name makes me think you're chinese american?)

What is america like with censorship about history?