Last chance to move your Favorite Movies to the new system

Tools    

As a lot of you already know, when we relaunched the site we changed the format of the Favorite Movies feature. The new format allows us to display posters on user profiles and do a whole bunch of cool things that I'm working on behind the scenes right now.

To this point, I've been counting on users to go to the Edit Favorite Movies page to convert to the new system. Look how pretty! It makes suggestions as you type, you can drag them around to change the order, and you can remove them easily (and there's even an Undo button in case you remove one by accident).

The first time you do this the new system tries to find a match for your titles and does its best to guess which film you meant--and it's usually right. But not always, so you may have to remove and re-add one if it guesses wrong, especially if one of your favorites has the same title as a remake (or is a remake). Having you guys specifically do this is best, because only you knew exactly which ones you want.

Now, two months have passed since the relaunch, and obviously some people have yet to switch over. Since a lot of the new stuff I'm working on ties into this system, I'm giving everyone a heads-up that I'm going to convert all of the old favorites over automatically within a week.

Everyone has had plenty of time to confirm their favorites, and if it guesses wrong for anyone else and they care at all, it'll be quite easy for them to fix it. But all the same, I'd like to minimize the number of times this happens, so I wanted to give everyone a heads-up. Especially the more indecisive MoFos who like to cram multiple favorites (or whole sentences) into single slots.

If you haven't yet, please go to the Edit Favorite Movies page, review the guesses, tailor them as necessary, and then hit Save Favorites--and then you're done.

I'll be sure to post in here again the day-of to give everyone one last chance. Thank you!

I've noticed the posters sometimes change. Is that done manually or is it in the program?

Thank you.

I've noticed the posters sometimes change. Is that done manually or is it in the program?
Neither--the data source we use lets people vote on their favorite posters and whichever has the best rating at the time you add it is the one that shows up. Most don't change much (or often), but it does happen. However, this should only happen if you go in and remove/re-add a film. Otherwise, it should stay the same.

I got a question from BlueLion that I thought I should answer publicly, since others might be wondering the same thing:

Originally Posted by BlueLion
I only have one movie listed as favorite, does this mean that 9 other films (from my previous favorite lists) will be added if I don't pick 9 others myself?
Nope! Obviously, I'd love it if everyone would pick 10, because the more favorites we have the more fun stuff we can do with all the data. But it's definitely not required. This is just going to move old Favorites into the new format, regardless of how many there are.

We'll still be able to add films to our Favorite Movies list though, right? I've been re-watching a lot of favorites and re-working my list and it still isn't done yet.

I can't wait until my top 101 list is completed. I don't want to rush it, but It'll be a good day when I'll finally be able to add my top 10 favorites to my profile!

We'll still be able to add films to our Favorite Movies list though, right? I've been re-watching a lot of favorites and re-working my list and it still isn't done yet.
Absolutely.

I can't wait until my top 101 list is completed. I don't want to rush it, but It'll be a good day when I'll finally be able to add my top 10 favorites to my profile!
Might be best to clear out the ones you have now that just say "LIST," then.

Might be best to clear out the ones you have now that just say "LIST," then.
Yeah, I noticed they would all be automatically transformed to Schindler's List, so I'll do that.

OKAY FOR REAL GUYS! LAST CHANCE!

This is happening either today or tomorrow. After that, some of you poor, inattentive souls are probably going to end up with crappy modern remakes listed instead of whatever classic you had in mind when you entered the text. Fair warning!

Okay, it's pretty much done.

There's still a bit to do, but over 90% of the favorites in the database have been moved over to the new system. A lot of the remaining ones are due to egregious spelling errors, or things like putting the year alongside the title, so there'll be some stragglers hanging around for the next day or two.

If you didn't see this or just didn't get around to updating your favorites, you can easily go into your Edit Favorite Movies page and change anything you'd like. Very easy to do. I'd specifically encourage you to do so if you have/had any favorites with modern remakes, because those are the ones that system is most likely to guess wrong.

Okay, I just have to share some of the favorites that the system was unable to recognize. They're pretty incredible:
  • Night at the Musem
  • LOTR twin towers
  • sexth sence
  • Star word
  • 51st dates
  • scareface
  • no land for old man
  • dairy of a mad black woman
  • Greem milles
  • apoctalycho
  • =)
  • Cliffanger