Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Thor

Enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than i expected too. I've never read a Thor comic so i didn't know what to expect exactly, i think that was probably for the best. Not much to say about this, some good action, decent plot, acceptable acting. I especially enjoyed Tom Hiddlestone as Loki and Hemsworth was alright as Thor i suppose. The big shock for me was Natalie Portman who i thought was pretty terrible i cringed through most of her scenes like the one where Thor gives her book back; she just didn't seem interested at all.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Legend (2015)

Not bad exactly but a bit disappointing. Tom Hardy's performance(s) was bigger than the film, which didn't have a plot so much as a bunch of episodes in the life of Reggie Kray and his wife strung together by a terribly annoying voice over.

From Dusk Till Dawn (1996) - 8/10

Pretty serious and also pretty funny film from 1996.

There's a bear in my oatmeal
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 4/5

I'd been put off watching it until now as I'd just assumed it was a film about Russell Brand shouting at us while he runs around a beach, but my girlfriend put in on last night as I actually found myself laughing throughout. Lots of fun cameos, Segel is hilarious, and the Dracula musical is just wonderful.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I wasn't in a mood to discuss anything yesterday, that's why my opinions were really unclear and I said things that had nothing to do with the film itself, but more a random personal opinion; like war is stupid.

I. Don't. Like. Saving Private Ryan. That's all I need to say here. The end. And because I'm not in a mental state at the moment to go any further with that, without coming across as ignorant, stupid or whatever y'all think I am, then I better keep it at that.
Awful movie.. Glad you feel this way.. Then again, we have a lot of similar movie likes

I. Don't. Like. Saving Private Ryan. That's all I need to say here. The end. And because I'm not in a mental state at the moment to go any further with that, without coming across as ignorant, stupid or whatever y'all think I am, then I better keep it at that.
Fair enough. Don't worry about it.

Feelings often come before rationalizations. That's how most people's thought process works (it's certainly how mine works, anyway).
It's perfectly OK to not like a film while not really knowing why, as long as you acknowledge that it's something personal. It can be a long process to rationally understand why you like or dislike certain films. You don't always have to be able to explain your opinions rationally right after you formed that opinion.

Just make sure that it makes sense when you finally do step into the rational phase of arguing for or against a movie. That's what I was criticizing about that post.

Care for some gopher?
Brief Encounter (David Lean, 1945) -

Terrific romantic drama with beautiful cinematography. Celia Johnson ist absolutely fantastic!

Care for some gopher?
Der blaue Engel The Blue Angel (Josef von Sternberg, 1930) -

Started out great but struggled in its second half. Marlene Dietrich and Emil Jannings are excellent.

Iron Sky (Timo Vuorensola, 2012) -
+

Very solid from a technical standpoint but poorly written.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Quantum of Solace (Marc Forster, 2008)

Craig is a solid Bond and the some of the action scenes are pretty good but the rest is a disgrace. Weak villains, the plot is a mess, the pacing is horrible... I felt bored watching a Bond movie, that shouldn't happen.

I wasn't in a mood to discuss anything yesterday, that's why my opinions were really unclear and I said things that had nothing to do with the film itself, but more a random personal opinion; like war is stupid.

It's no Stalingrad that's for sure.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Der blaue Engel The Blue Angel (Josef von Sternberg, 1930) -

Started out great but struggled in its second half. Marlene Dietrich and Emil Jannings are excellent.

Iron Sky (Timo Vuorensola, 2012) -
+

Very solid from a technical standpoint but poorly written.
Probably their worst performances in a Sternberg. You should see Jannings in The Last Command and Dietrich in The Scarlett Empress.

The Boy-

I was hoping that this would be laughably bad, which it looked like it could be from the trailers. I wanted The Boy to be terrible, because that would give it a value to me. Alas, my honest rating is mediocre. There's not a lot of good things about it, but nothing is that bad, save for a few dumb lines and overeliance on dream sequences. The acting is fine, the scares are not good but not terrible, the twist sure is a twist, and while it is ridiculous, I can't say that it hurts the movie in any way. I think I like it less than The Forest, but objectively this is a better made film. Worth a rent if you're into doll horror, even.

Hobson's Choice (1954)

What little hope I had of liking this movie stemmed from Charles Laughton and director David Lean. It's a romantic comedy, and it turned out to be a nice surprise. The rest of the cast is terrific, and it's a very funny, charming, and endearing movie.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave

Thor

Enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than i expected too. I've never read a Thor comic so i didn't know what to expect exactly, i think that was probably for the best. Not much to say about this, some good action, decent plot, acceptable acting. I especially enjoyed Tom Hiddlestone as Loki and Hemsworth was alright as Thor i suppose. The big shock for me was Natalie Portman who i thought was pretty terrible i cringed through most of her scenes like the one where Thor gives her book back; she just didn't seem interested at all.
ET was in Thor? Damn I'll need to go back and rewatch it, I've never noticed him before

Anyway I'm glad to see you enjoyed it Camo. Yes it's cheesy, and camp, and silly. But it's for those reasons I love it. I find it really charming. Hiddleston is a slimy delight as the scheming Loki and I find Hemsworth really likeable and endearing. He's got some good comic timing as well; "I need a horse!"