Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Pacific Rim (2013)

The 400 Blows (Francois Truffaut, 1959)

Third watch. Still an absolutely incredible film with the most perfect of endings. As if I needed a reminder. I do remember liking Day For Night more than this but I'm not so sure now.

Shoot the Piano Player (Francois Truffaut, 1960)

Truffaut kick continues.

Beyond the Darkness (1979)

Italian horror from Joe D'Amato isn't bad but I didn't think it was very good either. Good atmosphere and gore, and a great musical score from The Goblins.

[quote=Marco;1924116]I have to agree with you on this one...it started off as a nice social satire, but then it tried to be something more important than it really was and it lost me...there's a review of it in my thread somewhere.

JAGGED EDGE: (1985)

Overdosing on Perry Mason growing up kinda turned me off court room dramas. So I was not expecting to be entertained when I sat down to watch Jagged Edge last nite. I am glad I did as it is a crackerjack psycho thriller. The underlying themes running thru the film are; did rich, suave playboy newspaper publisher Jack Forrester (Jeff Bridges) savagely murder his wife. And can hot shot lawyer Teddy Barnes (Glenn Close) save him from the electric chair. Once the trial begins it everything points to Forrester being guilty.He has had a string of marital affairs..his wife holds the purse strings and she is also being unfaithful. Sub plots that are integral to Jagged Edge are the anonymous notes Barnes is receiving written on a Corona 42 typerwriter that clearly are steering the blame away from Forrester.. The tension between Barnes and her former DA colleague Tom Krazny (Peter Coyote) over a previous case.. Crusty former DA friend/turned PI Sam Ransom (Robert Loggia) joining the Barnes team. Clouding the whole messy trial is the affair beween Barnes and Forrester. All of this makes for compelling viewing as the evidence is deciphered and a conclusion is reached. Is Jack Forrester innocent or not?

I Saw The Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon

- Amazing rewatch and totally my kind of movie. Violent, Gory and perfectly entertaining, Choi Min-sik is great as the serial killer and Lee Byung-hun is badass as well. A Favorite of mine.
+

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yearning (1964) by Mikio Naruse

HOLY. It's difficult to talk about a film like this, where everything you think to say feels like an oversimplification. A young man keeps his love for his widowed sister-in-law close to his chest due. She feels emotionally frozen, incapable of understanding herself in relation to the world around her and the man in front of her. His volatile modernness and her frightened rigidity butt heads just after a seemingly platonic but intensely romantic train courtship unlike any other romance scene in a train you've ever seen. The following morning when Naruse cuts all diegetic sounds abruptly and swells the music for the climactic moment, what I expected to feel like cheap sentimentality hit like a brick wall of euphoria and tragedy.

I Saw The Devil (2010) - Kim Jee-woon

- Amazing rewatch and totally my kind of movie. Violent, Gory and perfectly entertaining, Choi Min-sik is great as the serial killer and Lee Byung-hun is badass as well. A Favorite of mine.
+
That achilles heel scene.

Great film

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Sicario 2

Average. Few too many of those coincidence type story moments - can’t stand that kind of plot direction/writing which is apparent in the new stars wars movies (recent example). Didn’t feel the dread of Mexico like in the first. The oozing charisma of both Brolin and Del Toro could have been magnified. The music was decent - very similar in tone to the first.

Not a movie I would watch again. Not a movie that needed to be made.

2/5

The Equalizer (2014)

Watched this for the first time in preparation for the sequel (and see if it would be worth going to). Short answer...it won't be worth going to the movie this weekend. I seldom watch action type movies like this, but this one still felt rather stale in execution. Denzel plays some one-of-a-kind badass (at age 60 irl, mind you) that everyone underestimates since he doesn't appear to do anything legitimately "cool" in his spare time like working at Home Depot and reading books.

He gets wrapped up in a prostitution syndicate because he feels like this one girl needs saving, and he proceeds to take down the entire organization inexplicably. There were many times which really left you in the dark on how exactly he killed so many people without a single person ever getting the upper hand and taking him out. Denzel carries the movie with his intense acting, but the movie is otherwise forgettable.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Equalizer (2014)

Watched this for the first time in preparation for the sequel (and see if it would be worth going to). Short answer...it won't be worth going to the movie this weekend. I seldom watch action type movies like this, but this one still felt rather stale in execution. Denzel plays some one-of-a-kind badass (at age 60 irl, mind you) that everyone underestimates since he doesn't appear to do anything legitimately "cool" in his spare time like working at Home Depot and reading books.

He gets wrapped up in a prostitution syndicate because he feels like this one girl needs saving, and he proceeds to take down the entire organization inexplicably. There were many times which really left you in the dark on how exactly he killed so many people without a single person ever getting the upper hand and taking him out. Denzel carries the movie with his intense acting, but the movie is otherwise forgettable.
Good to know. I watched the full trailer for E2 today at the cinema - looked borderline lame. Will give both a miss.

“I was cured, all right!”
The Equalizer (2014)

The major problem with this film imo it's the terrible camerawork and fast edit. I'm not paying for an action movie that doesn't even show the action.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Occupation (2018)
Final Rating: A

The film may look like a typical alien invasion film, set in a small town in Australia, but the ensemble cast brings an emotional range as they deal with the tribulations of a literal war against the aliens who have invaded. I was given the opportunity to interview Dan Ewing, who plays rugby captain turned survivor and warrior Matt. (Trivia: Ewing is a former Power Ranger, playing Black Ranger Dillon in 2009's Power Rangers RPM, his first major role...awesome and nice guy BTW)

The Odessa File (1974)

Great still shot, Fab! The acting from Jon Voight and Maximilian Schell was first rate, as was the technical stuff. The film doesn't hold up as well, nor does it pack the same punch as it did 44 years ago-- mostly due to the many imitations. But it still holds one's interest, and is a fine production.

~Doc