Boosting my DVD collection

Tools    

Although it's not the popular view here, I actually prefered Ashes To Ashes over Life On Mars. I thought that the way that they dealt with the previous series (Life On Mars) worked very well and I liked the fact that they did it through the writing, rather than just falling back on a gimmick or ignoring it all together.

Which films do you want info about?

The Straight Story. Bright Young Things is based on Vile Bodies isn't it? Addicted to Love. And 'Before Sunrise'.

The Straight Story is about an old man who rides his tractor across half of America in order to see his brother, who he's been told is sick. I know boring that sounds, but it's just a simple, sweet, no frills story and it's told the same way. There isn't really any character development and, apart from the old man and his daughter, there aren't really any other characters. The film is all heart. My favourite Lynch film and that's saying something.

Yes, Bright Young Things is based on Vile Bodies. The adaption was written Stephen Fry (who, as you may know, is a huge fan of Waugh's work) and he directs too. I think most criticism of this is down to his handling of the ending. Some of the people I have recommended this to, who I really thought would enjoy it, have come back saying it was little better than "ok", but personally I loved it. I thought that it evoked the 'feel' of the era perfectly (or how I've experienced it through the best tv/film drama anyway) and the performances are good too (with that cast, how could it not?) It's by no means a perfect film, but I think that it ticks enough of the boxes you mentioned.

Addicted To Love is a rom-com that has a little more edge than most. Again, it's not the best film ever made, but it's fun and I enjoyed seeing Meg Ryan playing the rom-com bunny boiler. Two recently dumped people (Ryan and Matthew Broderick) help each other get want they want from their old loves (she wants revenge, he wants her back) It all ends exactly as you think it will, but it's a rom-com, so that's the point. It's 'r' rated if that you decide whether it's a chick-flick or not.

Before Sunrise is possibly the most romantic film I've ever seen. It's incredibly dialogue heavy, but nearly all of it is between the two protagonists (Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.) It's smart, witty, dialogue which slowly becomes deeper and more personal. It's a beautiful film and Vienna's a great host for the prospective couple.

Never Rub Another Mans Rhubarb.
I'm from Ireland so im not sure if you can get it in America but if you can try and watch 'V For Vendetta'. Its amazing, great acting, great stroyline and it was a graphic novel.

Year's update!

I've watched V for Vendetta and quite liked it, despite not being into superhero type movies.

Watched Get Carter- didn't like it.

Loved Cabaret, and have seen it in theatre too.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was great.

I now own:
Another Country
Educating Rita
Sweet Bird of Youth
Cat On A Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
Night of the Iguana
Vanity Fair
Blair Witch Project
Simpsons Movie
Ghostbusters
Gremlins
Muppets Christmas Carol
Orphee
Brighton Rock
The Great Gatsby
Pride and Prejudice (Tv)
Brideshead Revisited (Tv)

And:
Cleopatra (1963)
Lost In Translation
The English Patient
The Little Mermaid
Nanny McPhee
Clue
Girl with A Pearl Earring
The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone
Brief Encounter
This Property is Condemned

Michale Caine version.
Um, I guess it wasn't my thing...maybe it's more of a male thing...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I think you should look through other peoples collections to get some idea's maybe?