Which actors have the tendency to overact or ham it up?

Tools    

Tessa Thompson is a very talented upcoming actor, and I believe she is very good in most of her performances. Though, I feel sometimes she has the tendency to ham it up a little. There were a few scenes in season 2 of Westworld where I could really tell she was performing, and I found her performance in Thor: Ragnarok pretty difficult to watch. For balance, I thought she was strong in Annilihation, and Creed.

Name some below, along with their performances.

This might just do nobody any good.
Yeah, she sure does that. But I love her, so...

James McAvoy comes to mind. I did find it kind of funny how Split basically decided to own this and is build to gradually let him go nuts.

This is why I don't like Jason Bateman. There's just something about his acting style.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Gérard Depardieu, all his performances. Really don't like that style. Like film prior to neo-realism.

The truth is in here
This is why I don't like Jason Bateman. There's just something about his acting style.
I tell anyone who doesn't like Jason Bateman to check out The Gift. I have a friend who really dislikes Jason Bateman, but after watching it he thought he gave the best performance in the movie.

I tell anyone who doesn't like Jason Bateman to check out The Gift. I have a friend who really dislikes Jason Bateman, but after watching it he thought he gave the best performance in the movie.
I'm surprised I don't remember hearing about this one....synopsis is intriguing. I'll try and check it out!

Al Pacino as he has aged he seems to over act and shout

This might just do nobody any good.
He’s been getting some soft-spoken roles as of late. Hopefully it keeps up with The Irishman and Tarantino’s movie.

The truth is in here
Bah! Al Pacino is great in his shouty roles too! In Devil's Advocate he's so much fun to watch, possibly the most ever. He brings a fascinating intensity to scenes the way no other actor can. The Heat which you brought up as an example is another fantastic demonstration of his talent. Knowing Hank Azaria got scared for real makes it even better.

If anything, the worst acting he ever did was in Hangman, where he completely underplayed a character instead. He was just mumbling throughout.

Now, I love softspoken Pacino, and many of them tend to be among his best roles. But shouty Pacino can be pretty ****ing great as well.

Seconded. He is brilliant in The Gift. To be honest, I thought he was pretty fantastic in Juno too.

I'm surprised I don't remember hearing about this one....synopsis is intriguing. I'll try and check it out!
No argument regarding Bateman and The Gift...one of his best performances...there's a review of it in my thread somewhere.

Hard to resist this thread, even though I don't usually question an actor's style. All a matter of taste , of mine and of their audience too.

But William Shatner comes to mind as the guy who was the hammiest on the set. I didn't mind really because I really enjoyed Star Trek, the show and the movies . And he always seemed to be ' in on the joke.'

Someone who wasn't in on the joke, at least to me, is Richard Dreyfus; even though he was in so many movies I enjoyed: Jaws , Close Encounters , Goodbye Girl. It never ruined the movies for me, but when he started yanking the pantyhose off the rack in Goodbye Girl I wanted to ask
if he 'd like those cold cuts of his with Swiss and mustard on rye.

Finally , an actor who also is in many movies I like, but is a self aggrandizing scene stealer- is Tommy Lee Jones. We hear about actors being loved in the business not just for their talent, but b/c they are generous to their co stars. But his Lt. Gerard in the Fugitive made the movie more about him than Harrison Ford, So much so they made a sequel about Gerard, which flopped btw. Just desserts, I'd say.

I don't really like to find glee in things like that. but you don't wanna cross the line with me on one thing- don't try and steal the glory from Harrison Ford.

A system of cells interlinked
Sean Penn came to mind almost immediately.

Make a better place

Nic Cage & Sam Jackson came to mind!

I guess their overreacting is once of the reasons I love their acting.

Oddly for the same reason I kind of dislike Al Pacino

Al Pacino as he has aged he seems to over act and shout
I think that's carried over from his being in the theatre – he supposedly liked to shout there just to make sure people were still paying attention .

Patrick Troughton wasn't a big theatre person and he used to call it "all that shouting in the evening"; I've recently seen Guy Henry referring to the RSC as the "Royal Shouting Company" .

But William Shatner comes to mind as the guy who was the hammiest on the set. I didn't mind really because I really enjoyed Star Trek, the show and the movies . And he always seemed to be ' in on the joke.'
I'm most familiar with Star Trek Season 1 but I've seen the other two series and it seemed to me that William Shatner got more over-the-top towards the end. I think he was great personally , and often when he is a bit scenery-chewing there's a good reason for it (in the films too).

I saw an interview with him recently that was very interesting where he described how Jeffrey Hunter, who had been in the original Pilot, was a much more internal actor. If you'd had Hunter and Leonard Nimoy's Spock together it would have been too similar so Shatner's more animated style gave a better contrast. The brilliant thing about the interaction is that it's like having a devil and an angel on each shoulder. Spock is cold logic, Bones is all emotion – Kirk listens to their points of view and has to get the happy medium between the two .

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
All these posts and Tommy Wiseau is nowhere to be seen

In seriousness, I find Kenneth Branagh guilty of this.

Faye Dunaway from Mommie Dearest is etched in my brain too

In seriousness, I find Kenneth Branagh guilty of this.
With Branagh it seems to me more a lack of oomph, of energy. I said recently elsewhere on the forum that I found him unwatchable in the British Wallander. People raved about him in Macbeth as well and when I saw a clip I'd never found the term "a damp squib" more appropriate.