Abortion; Why?

Tools    

While I am by no means an expert on science, I don't see that your argument supports the belief that human life begins at conception. When a tree seed is planted in the ground I realize that it will become a tree if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely a seed at present. When I know that a fertilized egg has been implanted in a gorilla's uterus, I realize that the egg will become a gorilla if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely an egg at present. In a week, I realize that the blood clot in her stomach will become a gorilla if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely a blood clot at present. The same thing goes for humans. I'm not arguing that it is not wrong to abort the fetus, but I can't see human life existing at conception any more than tree life existing the second a seed is planted.

Originally posted by firegod
While I am by no means an expert on science, I don't see that your argument supports the belief that human life begins at conception. When a tree seed is planted in the ground I realize that it will become a tree if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely a seed at present. When I know that a fertilized egg has been implanted in a gorilla's uterus, I realize that the egg will become a gorilla if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely an egg at present. In a week, I realize that the blood clot in her stomach will become a gorilla if everything goes right, but I realize that it is merely a blood clot at present. The same thing goes for humans. I'm not arguing that it is not wrong to abort the fetus, but I can't see human life existing at conception any more than tree life existing the second a seed is planted.
Okay.
My contention is that the tree seed was made by the tree and is therefore a tree by design. Nothing other than a tree can make a tree seed. All components necessary for the tree to reproduce are combined within the tree to make the seed. That seed is of the tree and will always be comprised of 'tree'. Nothing else on earth is capable of making a seed that will grow into a tree. Apply this to all of your examples with the exception of the blood clot. A blood clot is not necessarily reproductive in nature. I had one in my leg after a car accident and it never grew into a baybay

Come on concede my point, here, you know I'm right.

Now about the human 'life' beginning at conception I'm willing to be less rigid. I can kind of see the argument that a fertilized egg is a zygote and not a human being. I don't agree with it, but I understand if other people do. I'm not one of those likely to bomb an abortion clinic

Well, if we aren't talking about human LIFE then what are we talking about? I concede that an egg produced by a human is a human egg...

Originally posted by firegod
Well, if we aren't talking about human LIFE then what are we talking about? I concede that an egg produced by a human is a human egg...
This begs two questions.

1 - Should human EGGS be protected?
2 - When does it stop becoming a human egg, and start becoming a human child?

Yes, I do think it matters since I don't think abortion involves killing. I don't think killing someone painlessly is the same thing as torturing someone first. You mean that it would be the same to poke out the eyes of the convicted before you put him in the electric char than to just put him in the electric chair? I also think it's absurd and frightening that you don't think there's a line between killing a fetus and an infant child. BUT, if that's how you feel, I understand that you're against abortions.
Noooo. Read what I said again. It would not be the same, but legally, it would boil down to the same thing. Our legal system cannot, obviously, make provisions for ALL situations. Here's what I said:

"Killing someone quickly and painlessly, legally, is the same thing as torturing someone first. You'll just get a longer prison sentence for the latter, most likely. The issue is not about which is worse, but about whether or not you can draw a reasonable, legal line between killing born children, and unborn children. I'm demonstrating that there is no such logical line."

?????? Are you serious?? You really think that the fetus could live without and outside the mother's body from day one?? It's a part of her body until it can live without it. Which takes a long while before it can.
No, I don't think it can. But there are a few things to consider.

1 - Just because it can't live on its own, why does that mean it is not its own body? It is merely DEPENDENT on her body...that doesn't make it PART of her body anymore than a leech is part of your body when it clings to you.

2 - The line of when it can survive on its own is very, very fuzzy. Not only that, but medical science comes into play. A baby born premature today have a decent chance at living, whereas the same baby born 200 years ago would likely die. Was that baby 200 years ago not just as human because of the technology at the time?

3 - Once you get into that gray area, you can never know whether or not the child could survive on its own until you actually take it out and see.

As a result, I think it's clear that using "when it can survive on its own" is not a viable standard for when life begins. You can't even begin to pinpoint it, and it's dependent on the technology of the time.

"Him"?? God's a black, lesbian woman, didn't you know??
Funny.

That's not my argument to keep it legal, that people would do it anyway. Not at all. I think it should be legal because I think it's the women's right. I do however prefer safe legal abortions to unsafe illegal abortions.
I do, too...but volume comes into play. If we illegalize it, there will be some unsafe illegal abortions, yes...but the overwhelming majority of abortions just won't happen, most likely, and it'll likely lean that way more and more over time.

It's not 1.3 million safe, legal abortions against 1.3 million dangerous, illegal abortions. We wouldn't have anywhere near 1.3 million illegal attempts.

I have never, ever, ever used poor living conditions to justify abortion. But unplanned pregnancies can lead to disastrous conditions for the child, wouldn't you agree? Do you think that I think that a lot of people would have been better off dead or aborted? That's absurd. And I didn't even think the word "poverty".
My mistake, I misunderstood you. Forgive me; it's a *very* common argument in favor of abortion (I'm not kidding), even though, as you pointed out, it is absurd.

Well, the obviousness of laws against murder etc. isn't exactly a subjective standard. Is there any country in the world where murder is allowed? Find ten and they still don't represent the whole.
It's not made any less subjective by the fact that others tend to agree. Objectivity is not made in the majority, as is clear in any rundown of world history...or heck, even current events.

My point is that you don't object to forcing morals on others at all. You just object to forcing morals you don't think sensible on others. Some you find "obvious," and you support forcing THOSE morals on people. You don't support the ones you do not find obvious...but let's not pretend you're against forcing morals on people...because you're not, and neither is anyone else in their right mind. It's a necessity.

No, I don't and I don't see the similarity between forcing anti-democratic views on people and following laws that have been shaped in a democratic process.
I could very well argue that abortion IS an anti-democratic view. I surely think so.

As for laws that have been shaped in a democratic process; that hardly makes them right. Democracies are as fallible as the people who populate them.

Hmmmm.. Make up your mind.
My mind IS made up. It's a child, and that's that. Sad for the woman to go through with it, but her plight doesn't justify more violence.

Is this REALLY relevant to the discussion?? Are we talking about abortion of a 8½ months old baby or a 6 weeks old fetus?? It's a pretty big difference, don't you think?
It's relevant to the discussion for anyone who claims life begins at birth, because that clearly doesn't stand up to even a moment's worth of scrutiny.

You're drifting further and further away from the topic... As soon as the man puts his penis inside the woman's vagina he has full responsibility of his actions. And if that lovemaking results in a baby he has full responsibility to take care of his child. Now, we all now that it's the mother who's going to bear the child and she has the right to decide on her own if she wants to bear it. If both men and women got pregnant it would be another thing.

Responsibility is one thing. Making the decision is another thing.

I can't believe you're making this a money issue...
I'm not making this a money issue, but I'm a firm believer in knowing exactly what your decisions entail. Example: when you, for example, say that God does not exist, you are AUTOMATICALLY saying other things about the Universe in general, our origins, objectivity, and morality. Most people do not realize this. They think of those decisions in a vacuum.

I'm saying that this is similar: when you say that the man should have no legal rights at all, reasonably, you have to absolve him from financial responsibility as well. It's a fundamental principle that you cannot penalize someone for something when they do not have real control over the outcome. It's a bit like blaming ME for the failure of Enron.

You give the responsibility to a person, or persons, and that person, or persons, then bear the brunt of the consequences. That's the way it works. You don't give one person the power, and make another person the whipping boy when the first screws up. If a baby is a joint venture that the man should have to financially support (which I think he should, BTW), then he should have a say in whether or not its born.

Listen, I know wether it's a human or not. It's exactly when it becomes a human I'm not sure of.
Eh? I don't follow. You know whether it is or not, but you don't know when? This isn't art; you can't just say "I know it when I see it" and leave it at that. This is the law, and the law cannot make provisions for case-by-case situations like this.

You say you're not sure, yet you still say you're willing to support abortion. I must repeat the question: why RISK it? Why are you willing to gamble with over a million lives each year?

Finally, wouldn't it be better if we concentrated on the well-being of the millions of kids that actually were born than on the ones that never weren't?
There is no better...they all need help. The difference is that the things happening to kids in bad situations are already illegal and being almost universally fought, whereas abortion is legal and becoming far too common for comfort. First thing's first; get the rules laid down. The right ones. Second thing's second; enforce them.

It's not as if we have to choose one over the other, though.

Originally posted by Yoda

This begs two questions.

1 - Should human EGGS be protected?
2 - When does it stop becoming a human egg, and start becoming a human child?
1. Yes, but I'm not sure to what extent.
2. When does it stop BECOMING an egg, or when does it stop BEING an egg? It is becoming a human from the beginning, just like the planted tree seed is becoming a tree from the beginning. Is the seed a tree as soon as it is planted? To answer your question, I don't know, but not conception and not birth.

EDIT: I would say that we should probably treat the fetus like a human baby once he/she/it is viable. That isn't to say that the fetus should have no protection before that.

I think that a humane, caring society should recognize that whether abortion is legal or not, it's going to happen. So the least the state should do is provide those who, for whatever reason, want to have an abortion, with a practice as safe and discreet as possible. It seems very simple to me - a man with a coat hanger and a vacuum cleaner, or a licensed professional physician? The answer, in my eyes, is quite obvious.

Originally posted by Steve
I think that a humane, caring society should recognize that whether abortion is legal or not, it's going to happen. So the least the state should do is provide those who, for whatever reason, want to have an abortion, with a practice as safe and discreet as possible. It seems very simple to me - a man with a coat hanger and a vacuum cleaner, or a licensed professional physician? The answer, in my eyes, is quite obvious.
That logic is highly warped. Allow me to demonstrate through parody:

I think that a humane, caring society should recognize that whether murder is legal or ont, it's going to happen. So the least the state should do is provide those who, for whatever reason, want to have someone knocked off, with a practice as safe and discreet as possible. It seems very simple to me; a man with a painful, blunt instrument, or a licensed professional administering a painless pill? The answer, in my eyes, is quite obvious.

See what I'm getting at? There are all kinds of awful things that could be made legal and more humane...but that's one friggin' messed up argument for legalizing them.

See what I'm getting at? There are all kinds of awful things that could be made legal and more humane...but that's one friggin' messed up argument for legalizing them.
I think there's a difference between killing another person and aborting a fetus. Toose says that you have to have experience with this matter to have a worthwhile opinion about it; I agree. And I'd like to put forth one of my own biases: I believe that a mother owns her children. I was taught that way. My mother is the one who gave me life. I came from her, i'm half of her, she has every right to determine what to do with me before i'm old enough to make my own decisions. It's just a fundamental difference between you and I, what we believe. An individual child, until s/he reaches a certain age, belongs to his/her mother. If a mother, for whatever reason, would not be able to handle having a child, I think it's her right to decide to terminate a pregnancy.

I think there's a difference between killing another person and aborting a fetus. Toose says that you have to have experience with this matter to have a worthwhile opinion about it; I agree.
Sure, there's a difference...but should there be, legally? I don't think so. And the logic that you must be involved in such a thing to have an opinion on it does not hold up at all. Do you need to be the victim of any crime to know it's a bad thing?

Chew on this; at 12 weeks, the fetus is indistinguishable from a grown human in every way other than size. It's heart has been beating for at LEAST 8 weeks, and its brain has been active for over a month and a half. Yet abortion of this child is 100% legal. You're telling me that isn't a person?

What DO you want? Does it have to look you in the eye and say "hello" before you will afford it the same rights as everyone else? If a woman's stomach were translucent, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. It's just easier to ignore how human the fetus really is when you don't have to look at it.

And I'd like to put forth one of my own biases: I believe that a mother owns her children. I was taught that way. My mother is the one who gave me life. I came from her, i'm half of her, she has every right to determine what to do with me before i'm old enough to make my own decisions. It's just a fundamental difference between you and I, what we believe. An individual child, until s/he reaches a certain age, belongs to his/her mother.
You can't be serious. Children are not property. I dearly hope you intend to re-phrase that. No human should be made to belong to another human without consent. That's glorified slavery.

If a mother, for whatever reason, would not be able to handle having a child, I think it's her right to decide to terminate a pregnancy.
It is a simple fact that you do not know when it becomes a real child. Yet you're willing to risk that 1.3 million times a year (probably more, as those numbers are several years old). Why? I haven't even seen you attempt to justify that risk.

Well, obviously I think they shouldn't because I think we're killing a human life. But since I don't expect everyone to agree with me, I simply asked whether the implications that government should stay out of these things applies to funding. Logically, it should. So the question is not "why shouldn't the government fund abortions?" but "why should you expect the government to stay out of something it funds"?

... I simply asked whether the implications that government should stay out of these things applies to funding. Logically, it should. So the question is not "why shouldn't the government fund abortions?" but "why should you expect the government to stay out of something it funds"?
OK, I'm having a bad day, so just so I'm clear about what's being said. You wouldn't have any Government assistance in healthcare. Is that right?

No, that's not what I'm saying. And I don't agree that abortion belongs under the umbrella term "healthcare." I think that's a rhetorical ploy that makes abortion out to be just another ho-hum procedure, when any thinking person -- even if the're pro-choice -- can see that it's a much tougher issue than a twisted ankle.

What I am saying is that if someone wants to complain about government regulation of abortions in a "keep your hands off" kind of way, they shouldn't simultaneously support public funding for it. Otherwise, you're trying to have it both ways. You can't ask a highly divided, reticent electorate to pay for a controversial procedure and also scoff at the restrictions it places on it.

i'm going to hate where this thread goes. i can see it now...
>mfw this thread

My comment was because they shouldn't have a say in the matter. I don't think they need to fund them, but I don't think they need to shove their own ideology down the throats of women (and men I suppose) who literally cannot afford, or just shouldn't have, kids. It's beyond stupid how this is even considered an important issue anymore, since we all know religion is part of politics whether it's helpful or not (which it's not) why can't the people in the House just count on God to make judgment on people who have abortions like they're supposed to?