The MoFo Musicals Countdown - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

May we interest you in Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog?
I was wondering about the eligibility of that, since isn't it technically a mini-series?

I haven't seen it since it was new, but it would probably be one of the few musicals I'd be willing to vote for if I could come up with a partial ballot (which I'm not very confident I can do).

Recent musicals I would recommend:

The Color Purple (2023)
The Little Mermaid (2023)
Matilda: The Musical (2022)
The Swearing Jar (2022)
13: The Musical (2022)
West Side Story (2021)
Tick, Tick...BOOM! (2021)
Encanto (2021)
Dear Evan Hansen (2021)
Cyrano (2021)
Annette (2021)
In the Heights (2021)
Valley Girl (2020)
Stargirl (2020)
Cats (2019)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
One that I probably could've mentioned in this list was Anna and the Apocalypse. Even though I don't think they took full advantage of the concept, I thought it was a unique approach to the tired zombie genre.

I watched that the other day and loved the concept but was a little underwhelmed by the execution. There were some good songs and some good sequences. Paul Kaye's solo number made me smile. It lost its sense of fun somewhere along the way though, which was a shame.

Trouble with a capital "T"
For those who don't like traditional musicals may I suggest the surrealist, fantastic and very odd The American Astronaut (2001)

'Hey Boy' from The American Astronaut...watch time 2 min 43 sec.

I watched that the other day and loved the concept but was a little underwhelmed by the execution. There were some good songs and some good sequences. Paul Kaye's solo number made me smile. It lost its sense of fun somewhere along the way though, which was a shame.
Yeah, I think that's more or less how I felt.

Here are a handful of films which will be in contention for my ballot. Some are more well‐known than others.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Mary Poppins
Little Shop of Horrors
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Annette
A Hard Day's Night
Black Orpheus
Mother India
SHOP: A Pop Opera
Threepenny Opera
The Wizard of Oz
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Gold Diggers of 1933
OPAL
Curly Top
Les Miserables
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Muppet Movie
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Band Wagon
42nd Street
Moulin Rouge!

Just caught this the other night. It takes its time getting to the music but when it does the songs are good. Kind of a rock and roll musical set in medieval Japan.

Here are a handful of films which will be in contention for my ballot. Some are more well‐known than others.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory
Mary Poppins
Little Shop of Horrors
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Annette
A Hard Day's Night
Black Orpheus
Mother India
Threepenny Opera
The Wizard of Oz
Yankee Doodle Dandy
Gold Diggers of 1933
OPAL
Curly Top
Les Miserables
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Muppet Movie
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg
The Band Wagon
42nd Street
Moulin Rouge!
A few of those are in contention for my ballot too. I've seen most of them except for:

Mother India
OPAL

A few of those are in contention for my ballot too. I've seen most of them except for:

Mother India
OPAL
The last two are short films, btw, and are available on YouTube:

Here's my working list for my ballot. These are all films I've seen and enjoyed. There might be a few movies on there that are more music than musical, I won't deeply research them until I start making my ballot...In alphabetical order:

1776 1972
42nd Street 1933
A Chorus Line 1985
A Star Is Born 1954
Alexander's Ragtime Band 1938
All That Jazz 1979
Anchors Aweigh 1945
Annie Get Your Gun 1950
Babes in Arms 1939
Barbie 2023
Beyond the Sea 2004
Brigadoon 1954
By the Light of the Silvery Moon 1953
Bye Bye Birdie 1963
Cabaret 1972
Cabin in the Sky 1943
Calamity Jane 1953
Carousel 1956
Chicago 2002
Daddy Long Legs 1955
Dames 1934
Damn Yankees 1958
Doctor Dolittle 1967
Earth Girls Are Easy 1988
Easter Parade 1948
Fiddler on the Roof 1971
Follow That Dream (1962) Elvis
Footlight Parade 1933
Funny Girl 1968
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes 1953
Gigi 1958
Girl Crazy 1943
Girl Happy (1965) Elvis
Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933)
Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)
Grease 1978
Grease 2 1982
Guys and Dolls 1955
Hairspray 1988
Hello, Dolly! (1969)
Holiday Inn 1942
How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying 1967
In Old Chicago 1938
In the Good Old Summertime 1949
Jailhouse Rock (1957) Elvis
King Creole (1958) Elvis
Kiss Me Kate 1953
La La Land 2016
Loving You (1957) Elvis
Mary Poppins 1964
Meet Me in St. Louis 1944
My Fair Lady 1964
Oklahoma! 1955
Oliver! 1968
On Moonlight Bay 1951
On the Town 1949
Paint Your Wagon 1969
Roberta 1935
Romance on the High Seas 1948
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers 1954
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1978
Show Boat 1951
Silk Stockings 1957
Singin' in the Rain 1952
Song of the South 1946
South Pacific 1958
State Fair 1962
Summer Stock 1950
Sweet Charity 1969
Swing Time 1936
Take Me Out to the Ball Game 1949
The Band Wagon 1953
The Blues Brothers 1980
The Broadway Melody 1929
The Harvey Girls 1946
The King and I 1956
The Music Man 1962
The Pajama Game 1957
The Pirate 1948
The Sound of Music 1965
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg 1964
The Wizard of Oz 1939
The Young Girls of Rochefort 1967
There's No Business Like Show Business 1954
Till the Clouds Roll By 1946
Top Hat 1935
Viva Las Vegas (1964) Elvis
West Side Story 1961
White Christmas 1954
Wild in the Country (1961) Elvis
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 1971
Yankee Doodle Dandy 1976
Ziegfeld Follies 1945

Nice find, and cute cartoon! I vaguely recall seeing it as a kid in junior high. I see it was made in '57, which accounts for the style of animation. I'm partial to the '40s style cartoons, though. Evidently this one got quite a bit of cred. According to Wikipedia:

"It has been widely praised by many in the animation industry as the greatest animated cartoon that Warner Bros. ever released, and has been ranked as such in the top 50 animated cartoons of all time."

Here's my working list for my ballot. These are all films I've seen and enjoyed. There might be a few movies on there that are more music than musical, I won't deeply research them until I start making my ballot...In alphabetical order:

Great list, CR! You know I played in the orchestra for live stage performances of Brigadoon, Bye Bye Birdie, and Funny Girl-- all during the mid '60s in Cincinnati. I had a ball. It was almost as much fun as playing opera!

Barbie 2023
Is Barbie really a musical?

Maybe I'm misremembering but I only recall Gosling's "I'm Just Ken." I don't remember anyone else singing in it.

ETA: I just remembered the scene where the Kens sing "Push," but that's still only two songs. Am I missing anything else?

Is Barbie really a musical?

Maybe I'm misremembering but I only recall Gosling's "I'm Just Ken." I don't remember anyone else singing in it.

ETA: I just remembered the scene where the Kens sing "Push," but that's still only two songs. Am I missing anything else?
You might be right. I thought that there was a couple musical numbers but on IMDB the only one I can find for sure is 'I'm Just Ken'. We should ask @Thursday Next what she thinks?

I just remembered the scene where the Kens sing "Push," but that's still only two songs. Am I missing anything else?
I don't remember that song, I only seen the movie once. 'Push' is credited as being Performed by Matchbox Twenty, do you remember if Ryan Gosling sang/lip synced it?

Doesnít Wiig do a song? Seems like there are 2 or 3
I guess we all need to watch Barbie again It seemed like it had musical numbers in it to me. Not saying it will make my ballot, but if it makes the countdown, cool.

Great list, CR! You know I played in the orchestra for live stage performances of Brigadoon, Bye Bye Birdie, and Funny Girl-- all during the mid '60s in Cincinnati. I had a ball. It was almost as much fun as playing opera!
Wow, very cool Doc. I sad this before but with your life experiences you could write a book.