Brought somebody home.

Tools    

It's started biting me, so I've managed to tease it into drinking water from the dropper.

I also just saw it eat for the first time after jumping onto the perch. It's eating grass seed, but it is eating.

Nice perches, dude!
If he starts feeling better he'll be on one of those since birds always prefer a perch to the ground (unless they're in a really bad way).

Now... mind telling us about the filth of yesterday and why you had to take a bath (and the terrorists)?

I reasoned that keeping it in a shallow covered box while I make noises and occasionally pop in must freak it the hell out so I decided to make a different home with taller walls and a way to look out so he can grow accustomed to my presence (I also wanted a way to see if he's tumbled over). I also have an dropper which I can stick through the holes but he's very ruffled right now.
I was joking of course Good on you for trying to help. You said the bird is trying to bite you, that's a good sign, it must have more strength.

It's started biting me, so I've managed to tease it into drinking water from the dropper.

It also just saw it eat for the first time after jumping onto the perch. It's eating grass seed, but it is eating.
Awesome!

I'm worried.

He just keeps winding up on his back and not wanting to keep handling him I left him that way and now he looks fricken' horrible.

I think the grass on the bottom of the box has been tangling him up so I removed all of it save a couple clusters of grass seed so hopefully with some time and a bit of the water I was able to give him he'll be better when I come back, but I have to leave him for a few hours again.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mofie 17.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	384.2 KB
ID:	26569  

I think it's time to call Norman Bates if you want to keep that bird any longer.

I'm worried.

He just keeps winding up on his back and not wanting to keep handling him I left him that way and now he looks fricken' horrible.

I think the grass on the bottom of the box has been tangling him up so I removed all of it save a couple clusters of grass seed so hopefully with some time and a bit of the water I was able to give him he'll be better when I come back, but I have to leave him for a few hours again.
Gah!

Well youve done all you can. Just wait and see.

The Adventure Starts Here!
If the worst happens, please keep in mind that you have been the Bird Whisperer throughout this experience, and that, without you, this little guy would have died alone and exposed to the elements (or worse). You're giving him a fighting chance and comfort and love, no matter what happens next.

If the worst happens, please keep in mind that you have been the Bird Whisperer throughout this experience, and that, without you, this little guy would have died alone and exposed to the elements (or worse). You're giving him a fighting chance and comfort and love, no matter what happens next.
That's the idea.

I'm afraid he died.
Awwwwwwwwwwwwww
Kudos for doing the best you could though and trying to help!

It was out of my hands. His insistence on escaping kept landing him on his back and I couldn't keep rolling him over every two minutes, especially while I have to sleep and handling him risks exacerbating his injuries. On his back, in pain, and covered in his own mess for several hours, the suffering took it's toll and he died of stress, as he likely would have sooner on the side of the bike trail I found him on.

Had he not brought it upon himself and remained perched he might have healed, but as it was, only indefinite attendance might've saved him and I'm afraid that's not something I was able to provide, nor do I believe a wildlife rehab center would've realistically been able to provide, the nearest of which would've required long rough travel and ran the risk of compulsory release and subsequent euthanasia, which I would not abide.

It really is too bad.