Brought somebody home.

Tools    

I'm afraid that this thread is going to be very sad.
We shall see, I'm going to the wild bird supply store right now.

It's a sparrow isn't it?
Just got back. I went way out into a part of town I've never been to before. There were three nice ladies at the shop who identified it as a house sparrow, offered a lot of advice on how to feed it, and even gave me a free 2-pound bag of seed.

Just got back. I went way out into a part of town I've never been to before. There were three nice ladies at the shop who identified it as a house sparrow, offered a lot of advice on how to feed it, and even gave me a free 2-pound bag of seed.
Aw! Well cool. Did you bring the bird itself, do they think itll make it?

Aw! Well cool. Did you bring the bird itself, do they think itll make it?
I think it was hard enough on him to have me looming over and handling it without walking it a couple miles back and forth so I went alone.

His new box. I put in a bigger plate of water and scattered food all over. I read that it's wise to cover the box with a sheet to prevent them from freaking out and trying to escape. This way I can keep him in a more accessible room where he gets rotating light.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mofie 5.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	26561  

I think the blanket really helped to calm him down. I went to sleep for a few hours in the same room and I heard him quietly scratching and moving around inside, but there's been no indication since that he's fallen over.

I can't tell if he's been eating, I'd like to think he has, but I worry most about water and whether he'll drink from the dish.
Attachments

Name:	Mofie 6.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	26562  

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

I think the blanket really helped to calm him down. I went to sleep for a few hours in the same room and I heard him quietly scratching and moving around inside, but there's been no indication since that he's fallen over.

I can't tell if he's been eating, I'd like to think he has, but I worry most about water and whether he'll drink from the dish.
Maybe a tiny bottle (similar to Visine) of water and have it dripping an inch above his beak. This way it doesn't get on his feathers (flu fear). I always noticed birds eating worms that way. I'm thinking you can make one with a shampoo bottle after it's cleaned out really good, poke a hole, and try that.

Maybe a tiny bottle (similar to Visine) of water and have it dripping an inch above his beak. This way it doesn't get on his feathers (flu fear). I always noticed birds eating worms that way. I'm thinking you can make one with a shampoo bottle after it's cleaned out really good, poke a hole, and try that.
I read about eyedroppers, but I haven't got anything that could be reliably used like that. I might have to buy one.

The ladies at the store warned against feeding the bird that way unless it was very young, but they said it might be a juvie so I'm not sure.

Wish I could offer some advice - in my family we grew up with birds, mostly parakeets, but we also had a canary and a cockatiel.
I remember doing the eyedropper water feeding & giving medicine to one parakeet when he became too old & sick.

For some reason we used to cover their cages at night with a cloth or a sheet... maybe it made them feel more secure rather than having (what was to them) a sea of endless darkness beyond the tiny bars of their cage?

The sheet over top the box was an excellent idea. Only other thing I could recommend is keep him in a quiet, non-air-conditioned room. Birds do best in natural ambient temperatures. Darkness may keep him calmer, but probably best to mimic light and dark of the daily cycle.

Yeah Omni I hope this ends happy for you two. Definitely will have to do the eyedropper deal as Ive heard of that often, just to make sure that he does feed. Itll put up a fit, but he'll eat too.

Wish I could offer some advice - in my family we grew up with birds, mostly parakeets, but we also had a canary and a cockatiel.
I grew up with parrots, cats, dogs, guinea pigs, ferrets, chinchillas, and saltwater fish.

Originally Posted by Captain Steel
The sheet over top the box was an excellent idea. Only other thing I could recommend is keep him in a quiet, non-air-conditioned room. Birds do best in natural ambient temperatures.
I've been concerned about the air conditioner, my room can become very hot without it.

The stress of being in captive and being handled will most likely kill this bird. If it can't fly right now, it's not going to make it.
That remains to be seen. I'm not messing with it any more than I need to.

Well I've just had one of the filthiest days of my life, I don't think I'll ever wash the sin out. After the last 11 hours I think I'm gonna descend fully-clothed into a cold bath, but first...

You poor bastard. T'sokay, I've brought goodies...
Attachments

Name:	Mofie 7.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	26564  

Awwwwwww.
Kudos for trying your best to help.

He's not dead yet, time for a project.

The Magic: The Gathering cards are absolutely critical to my plan.
Oops lol - hope the lil feller makes it!

I dont know Omni, if the birds still not even able to stand.... Give a phone call to a vets office, and see if one will give you some free advice on a wild bird. They may say since it doesnt have any ability to properly move itself, in any capacity, then to put it down.