Lou Reed 1942-2013

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I'll do no good today.

My musical awakening took place in the late 80s when I realised that U2 weren't, actually, all that good. Two artists woke me up - REM and Lou Reed.

By the time I got my first CD player in 1989 I'd amassed a huge collection on record and the first CDs I bought were REM's Green and Reed's Transformer. They're still among my most listened-to discs.

Then I bought Berlin, with it's bleak beauty and then Coney Island Baby, the closest he came to wistful.

He was a strange old goat, was Lou. Wilfully irascible to journalists but, as heard above, capable of moments of sublime tenderness in song. That he couldn't hold a note to save his life was immaterial...

Heck, his famous lack of tuning was no barrier to his record company trying desperately to get a bit of that Springsteen money:

Yeah, I'm sure that was a happy video shoot.

My favourite Lou Reed moments come from the year I bought my first CD player - 1989's New York. It was both love letter and hate mail for his home town and as spiky and visceral as any of his press interviews. New York contains my favourite opening to a record:

Caught between the twisted stars, the plotted lines, the faulty map that brought Columbus to New York. Betwixt, between the East and West. He calls on her wearing a leather vest, the earth squeals and shudders to a halt...

I could go on and on and on but I'll instead spend my day listening to Lou and thanking the old goat for the impact he had on my life.

Goodnight ladies.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Never heard any of his single career songs.

The album he made with Metallica was awful. (ignorantly judging from 2 songs I've heard a year ago)

Ignorance is bliss.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Tacitus, it's nice to see someone else here who likes R.E.M.

You know... I don't think I really knew who Lou Reed was until Song Tournament 3. So, I just very recently -- this month, even -- learned who he was, and now he's gone.

I had never heard them before. That's the first, to my knowledge, of me hearing "Sweet Jane." I heard "Walk on the Wild Side" because it was in Song Tournament.

I did, however, know of this song:

But, obviously, that's not Lou Reed -- that's Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch.

I'm not a music person.

Walk On The Wild Side was my introduction to Lou Reed, while Heroin was my first exposure to The Velvet Underground.

I had two Lou Reed songs in the song tournament because I was going to have two songs from six artists. I abandoned that idea as I just couldn't leave some stuff out, however, my Velvets choices probably would've been.

and

The People's Republic of Clogher
New York's the only CD I own (to my knowledge, anyway) which is a CD+G, to be played on those new-fangled CD Graphics Players. Own-brand Karaoke machines, really, but I remember getting it to play once on a Sega Mega CD (which looked like a Discman built in a satirical 80s eastern European country).

EDIT - Apparently 10,00 Maniacs' Blind Man's Zoo is also a CD+G (seems to only have been about 50 titles released) so I've got two!

The only evidence I can find is this:

It's the future kids! Like jetpacks and virtual reality sex dungeons...

I've also got a limited edition Songs For Drella CD in a black velvet case. Lovely.

Rest in Peace.

Must be doin sumthin right
Worst famous person death in a long time. Had a few chances over the years where I could have seen some shows of his in NY but I could never get too excited to go watch Old Lou Reed. Now I'm kicking myself I never went. His music is a blessing to the ears and a balm for the soul what a nightmare to have no Lou Reed in the world