The MoFo Movie Club Discussion - April

Tools    

It's not like the movie was moving too fast for them to squeeze that stuff in...
This is the essence of my gripes with the film, I think. Part of it is having high expectations, but I think I also have the vague feeling that, if a film is going to take up so much of my time, there are certain things, like a character's motivation, that it simply has no excuse for skimping on or glossing over. With a 2 and 1/2 hour runtime, I don't think we should have to fill in too many blanks, unless filling them in is the point.

That said, I actually like the fact that James was resigned to his fate. But like you I would have liked them to explore the "why" of it a bit more. Lots of interesting potential there that I thing went unexplored.

This is the essence of my gripes with the film, I think. Part of it is having high expectations, but I think I also have the vague feeling that, if a film is going to take up so much of my time, there are certain things, like a character's motivation, that it simply has no excuse for skimping on or glossing over. With a 2 and 1/2 hour runtime, I don't think we should have to fill in too many blanks, unless filling them in is the point.

That said, I actually like the fact that James was resigned to his fate. But like you I would have liked them to explore the "why" of it a bit more. Lots of interesting potential there that I thing went unexplored.
In assessing the relationship between Jesse and Bob and Charley Ford, you first must remember that the outlaw activities of the James-Younger gang were simply a continuation of their guerilla activities on the side of the South during the Civil War in which they attacked both Union soldiers and civilians loyal to the Union. Most of the first gang members were people with whom they had served in the war, or who had served in other Confederate units, or relatives of same, or neighbors who they had known for years and could trust.

But that all ended Sept. 7, 1876, when the James-Younger gang raided the First National Bank of Northfield, Minn. In the ensuing shootout, chase, and final shootout with the Youngers, three of the eight outlaws were killed, the three Younger brothers were captured and later sentenced to life in prison, and only Frank and Jesse escaped without taking a cent from the bank. The pair then moved their families to Nashville, Tenn., where they lived quietly for 3 years under the names of Thomas Howard (Jesse) and B. J. Woodson (Frank). (Woodson was Jesse’s middle name.)

According to historical records, older brother Frank seemed to settle down and was doing well as a farmer. But restless Jesse recruited a new gang in 1879. The problem with Jesse’s new gang, however, was that there were no more of the old, battle-hardened guerrillas to recruit: The wild ones were dead or in prison, and others were now middle-aged and settled into civilian life. So the new recruits were younger, less experienced, and unproven. Jesse tried to compensate by recruiting the Hite brothers, to whom he was related. Bob Ford later was recruited because his brother Charley had already participated in a couple of the robberies by the gang. Jesse’s original gang had proved itself in battle and through community and family loyalties, so Jesse was trying to recruit new gang members on whom he could depend through extended associations.

Anyway, with his new gang, Jesse—as the song says—robbed the Glendale, Mo., train on Oct. 8. There were 4 or 5 robberies in other states, but the Tennessee authorities seemed to be getting suspicious, so the brothers returned to Missiouri in 1881. In December, Jesse rented a house in Saint Joseph, Mo., not far from where he had been born and raised. This of course increased the chances that he’d be seen and recognized by a former neighbor or victim. The more cautious Frank moved east to Virginia where he was less likely to be recognized and captured.

Alone in an area where he was known by some, with none of the old ex-guerrilla bunch to rely on and a price on his head, Jesse began worrying about being captured or killed and killed one gang member who he suspected of disloyalty. He may have been paranoid, but there really were people out to get him. According to some historians, Bob and Charley Ford were the two gang members he most trusted (or least feared or suspected of disloyalty). So when he moved into his new home in St. Jo, he asked them to stay with him to do some of the work but also to help fight off any attackers.

At that point, Bob was already talking to the governor of Missouri about killing Jesse for the reward (pro-Southern pro-Jesse legislators previously had limited the amount of rewards that the governor could post for outlaws like Jesse, but he retaliated by talking the railroads into putting up a bigger reward).

The Fords wanted the money and a pardon, but they also were afraid Jesse would learn that Bob had sided with Dick Liddil in killing Wood Hite. Jesse had asked the Fords if they knew what had become of the missing Liddil—then in police custody—and they denied any knowledge. But on the day of the shooting, Jesse saw a newspaper story about Liddle’s arrest in an area where the Fords had been at the same time. Bob Ford later claimed, “When he read that newspaper article, I knew I was a dead man.”

So misplaced trust on Jesse’s part and the fear and greed of the Fords resulted in his assassination Apr. 3, 1882. On October 4, Frank James surrendered to Crittenden on the condition that he would not be extradited to Northfield , Minn., for trial. He supposedly told Crittenden, “"I have been hunted for 21years, have literally lived in the saddle, have never known a day of perfect peace. It was one long, anxious, inexorable, eternal vigil."

That may explain why Jesse was so careless on the last day of his life. Remember, too, Jesse never expressed any regret about the life he led or the men he'd killed. When asked during his trial about his and Jesse's outlaw life, Frank claimed simply, "They drove us to it."

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by rufnek
In assessing the relationship between Jesse and Bob and Charley Ford, you first must remember that the outlaw activities of the James-Younger gang were simply a continuation of their guerilla activities on the side of the South during the Civil War in which they attacked both Union soldiers and civilians loyal to the Union.
Aha, see, there's the rub for me. The "you must remember" part. I don't remember any of that because I didn't know any of it going into the movie. And it would have served the movie well if the writers/director hadn't assumed the audience knew any of that stuff.

It's incredibly fascinating stuff as you retell it, but it's entirely missing from the movie. They start so close to the end of Jesse's life to begin with that those of us who go in knowing only the name and a vague sense of his being an outlaw never have a chance to fill in those blanks and draw those conclusions about why things ended the way they did.

Agreed. Though it may be dull to those who already know it, the backstory can't be assumed in this instance as perhaps it can in more widely-known stories.

Also, while it's very interesting stuff (thanks for learnin' me on the subject, ruf. ), and it explains Jesse's carelessness, I don't know that it quite explains what we see in the movie, which resembles resignation more than anything else. This may be a misinterpretation on my part, but I've noticed a number of other people make the same observation. Intentional or not, I think most people come away from the titular scene with the idea that James wasn't particularly surprised or perturbed by Ford's betrayal. Indeed, he almost seems to think it a fitting end.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Aha, but since you say we needed the "why" more than the "how" (and I can see how that is true), then that's another reason in my mind for the film to need more clarity about not only why Ford shot James (which was plain enough) but why James seemed to allow it (if, in fact, he did).

It's not like the movie was moving too fast for them to squeeze that stuff in...
I can see where you're coming from. What I was trying to get at with all this 'how' and 'why' nonsense was what I thought to be the director's intention. That he succeeded or failed is a moot point...

I'm steeling myself to watch the film again, actually. Lord knows, if that's not an indication I've got too much time on my hands, I dunno what it.

Aha, see, there's the rub for me. The "you must remember" part. I don't remember any of that because I didn't know any of it going into the movie. And it would have served the movie well if the writers/director hadn't assumed the audience knew any of that stuff.

It's incredibly fascinating stuff as you retell it, but it's entirely missing from the movie. They start so close to the end of Jesse's life to begin with that those of us who go in knowing only the name and a vague sense of his being an outlaw never have a chance to fill in those blanks and draw those conclusions about why things ended the way they did.
You're right. The odd thing is that this movie wouldn't have been nearly so confusing to movie audiences in the first half of the 20th century when more people knew more of the story of Frank and Jesse James!

I don't know that it quite explains what we see in the movie, which resembles resignation more than anything else. This may be a misinterpretation on my part, but I've noticed a number of other people make the same observation. Intentional or not, I think most people come away from the titular scene with the idea that James wasn't particularly surprised or perturbed by Ford's betrayal. Indeed, he almost seems to think it a fitting end.
You're right. First we see Jesse shoot a gang member in the back on the suspicion that he may have conspired against him with another missing gang member. Then he attacks and savagely beats the teenage cousin of that (or another) missing gang member even though the kid says he doesn't know where his relative is. (By the way, did you catch the joke Jesse makes when introducing himself to the kid as "Dick Turpin," the name of a famous highwayman in England who was captured and hanged more than a century earlier?). And he jumps Bob and Charley Ford for sneaking away from him to conspire together. But then he appears to give up all fear and suspicion, and blithely removes his guns, says "oh, that picture looks dusty," and serves himself up as a clay pigeon. I mean, he hasn't lifted a hand around the house the entire picture, letting Bob Ford fetch and carry for him, and now he's dusting pictures. (Why the picture? Wouldn't the furniture have been dusty too?

The historical facts as we known them is that Jesse really was up on a chair doing something with a picture--hanging, dusting it, something--and was shot behind the ear from a close distance by Bob Ford. The director seems to be trying to tell us something else with that scene, but damned if I know what!

LOL You try it and get back to me.
You, for one, should know that I've got a leather sofa! Anyway, I tried it out and, you're right, couldn't see anything clearly.

Hiring Casey Affleck for the gig proved an expensive mistake - his reflection was so fuzzy that I didn't know if he had a gun in his hand or that he was merely pleased to see me. I hope it wasn't the latter - never even made him a cup of tea.

Time to stick a fork in this bad boy (I says), *ahem* NEXT!

I vote for Tank Girl.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007, Andrew Dominik)

Here we are again, campers! As always, this thread is a spoiler-free zone (as in, nothing is 'spoiler-tagged') so only read on if you've already seen the film or don't really care about knowing the plot.

My initial thoughts during the first half hour of the film were 'gorgeous cinematography and a gorgeous score'. Not surprising, I guess, because Messers Deakins and Cave were responsible for them. Plus points there, then - it looks and sounds great.

Casting - Casey Affleck is spot on in his characterization of the nervy, hard-to-like Bob Ford. That he reminded me of that weirdly-voiced bloke from the Police Academy films is by the by: we're not meant to root for him in any sort of traditional heroic manner. Sam Rockwell is fine too as the slightly less obnoxious Ford brother, Charley, and there are solid turns by the likes of Sam Shepard and Garret 'two parts in Deadwood' Dillahunt.

Ok, I'm skirting round the main issue here - the lead role. Pitt doesn't do it for me, simple as that.

We're meant to have a Jesse James who is in turns charismatic and confused. Likeable and hateful. Garrulous but very much 'damaged goods'. And vengeful. How more vengeful can he get? The answer is none.

None more vengeful.

Brad, unfortunately in this reviewer's eyes, is stultifyingly wooden throughout. His laconic drawl which passes for 14 years of Confederate angst is no more convincing now than it was in Kalifornia or Thelma and Louise, fifteen or more years ago. In fact, the scene outside the church where he admonishes Bob and Charley for sneaking off to have a sly conversation had me actually laughing. Instead of a release of paranoid emotion we had something akin to Keanu Reeves stubbing his toe in the bath.

It's sad because a film as meticulously detailed as this deserves someone with much more weight (as opposed to merely box office draw and a producer's cash and contacts) to carry the piece, if need be, on his back.

That this doesn't completely ruin TAoJJbtCRF (catchy, eh?) in my eyes is probably because the emotional heartbeat of the film comes from Affleck.

There's a lot of the film that I like, however. The measured flow of melancholy seeping from its every frame, the aforementioned beautiful camerawork and music and the slow, almost dreamlike pace. It could have done with a few minutes knocked off here and there (we're practically 2 1/2 hours long), especially as one gets the feeling that the movie has 2 or 3 distinct endings. It's almost as if Dominik couldn't bear to let his baby go...

I also liked the narration, which seemed to come from one of the very Dime Store novels where Bob first read about, and subsequently venerated, Jesse. There's the feeling of a modern-day stalker about him.

In closing I'd say that, thematically at least, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is similar in many ways to John Hillcoat's (another Aussie director with heavy input from Nick Cave) The Proposition.

Both films meander into the territory of the young and impressionable fan/sibling who eventually comes to realise that the mythical outlaw figure they've been enraptured with for so long is, bluntly, bad news. Of course, Bob Ford's final motivation for killing Jesse is a confused mixture of fear, revenge and the desire to be famous while Charlie Burns (in Hillcoat's film) eventually becomes wearily repulsed by his brother's antics...

The Proposition is a film that I've come to love more with each and every subsequent viewing. I love the poetic quietness of it, for instance. The stillness, the ambiguity.

I really don't know if I'll come to love The Assassination of Jesse James over time, however beautifully crafted it appears.

Your thoughts, MoFo? Was it a triumph or a letdown?
Oh, I actually liked and enjoyed Thelma and Louise! I especially liked the parts where Thelma and Louise kidnapped a guy and stuffed him in the trunk of their car, the part where they shot up the oil truck of the guy who'd insulted them, and the hold-up. Heeee. Nothing like women turning the tables! LOL.

Did you do a review for Thelma and Louise during your review of The Ass of JJ that I should go back and read cos now I'm confused. Not that I'm hard to confuse, but seriously I'm confused... and a little frightened.

Tacitus mentioned Thelma and Louise in his write up of the western. That is all...
Indeed, and I don't actually think it's a bad film (I own it and it's one of the films that survived my recent 'there's a load of DVDs here that I'll never watch again and I'm running out of space' charity shop cull). My point was that I don't think BP has progressed much as an actor since he was in it...

I'd love to hear WSSLover's thoughts on The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford though.

the movie was a wast of time

the movie sucked

Ah I see Tatty just mentioned the name Thelma and Louise and of WSS went on a little side tangent. Boy, its a good thing I never do that...

I still vote for Tank Girl btw.