Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Street Angel (Frank Borzage, 1928)
+
Totally gave me a hankering for a Cornetto

Arabian Adventure (1979) - Pretty good fantasy adventure yarn starring Christopher Lee. 6.5/10.

Stan and Ollie (2018) - 7/10.

Wonderfully acted, heart-warming and an inside look at the two legendary characters life when the spot lights were off. What comes through is their friendship! I don't think in Hollywood there are "friends" anymore.

The Phantom Carriage (Victor Sjöström, 1921)

I can't be the only one that finds a level of irony in a spirit helping point out the evil of drink?

Jeune Juliette
Anne Émond

An attempt at a Quebec French coming of age film that was poorly directed and acted. I definitely see what the director tried to do, but it didn't turn out so well.

Django Unchained
Quentin Tarantino

Almost like everyone on this board I've been on a Quarantino trip lately. Second rewatch, but this time it felt like some of the action scenes were unnecessary. Definitely a wonderful film, but somehow I had better memories of it.

-

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Wings of Desire - 7.5/10
I liked the first half more than the second half. I hope to see the sequel soon. I'd like to watch this again, since I had a 20 minute phone call toward the beginning (which I didn't expect til later).

I've seen 5 movies of Wim Wenders and have liked them all.

The Farewell
Quentin Tarantino

Almost like everyone on this board I've been on a Quarantino trip lately. Second rewatch, but this time it felt like some of the action scenes were unnecessary. Definitely a wonderful film, but somehow I had better memories of it.

-
I couldn't find this film. Are you sure it's Tarantino? What year was it made? Thanks. ~Doc

The Primrose Path (Harry O. Hoyt, 1925)
+
It's not bloomin' great, even by Sat-Mat standards

'Rosie' (2019)

Dir.: Paddy Breathnach

Sweet little Irish film depicting an everyday family struggling, written by Roddy Doyle (The Commitments). A fine central performance from Sarah Greene as a mum of 4 desperately trying to do what's best for her children. There are some repetitive moments and some peripheral characters don't quite nail the part. It has very similar vibes to 'I, Daniel Blake', and some may find it bleak, but bleak doesn't bother me. The ending is abrupt but captures the uncertainty that the family faces.

'Low Low' (2019)

Dir. : Nick Richey

Coming of age drama about taking the plunge into adulthood, peer pressure, sex and drugs. Mixed feelings about this one. There are some promising moments but it lacks the real punch that these type of films often give. At time sit felt like an episode of a TV drama. The comedy wasn't really funny enough and the drama didn't really hit home enough or feel real enough.

There is an especially trite scene in the second half of the movie which felt more in line with a crowd-pleaser like 'American Pie' than a serious drama, at other times the viewer is reminded of 'Spring Breakers'. Then shortly after that there are a couple of really lovely, tender scenes. That said, there was enough in the performances to keep me interested. Elaine Hendrix was the standout as the mother on the edge.

Hellboy 2019

A blistering success if you ask me, maybe because I found Del Toro's 2 movies so unimpressive and meh, yeah its much lighter and zippier in tone but at same time darker, even with some dodgy cgi moments, it was way out there and David Harbour's Hellboy worked brilliant. It's worth sticking right until the end credits, I hope they don't **** up this universe or turn it into fan fiction, for a comic book adaption this was a breath of fresh air and just a lot of fun.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

The Night Comes for Us (2018) - 5.5/10. Watched it for Iko Uwais. The blood and gore factor was definitely amped up. The fight sequences were wonderfully shot. But the plot was virtually not there. A fun watch, but nothing to write home about.

great movie i gave 8.5/10

A Pair Of Tights (Hal Yates, 1929)

The rather repetitive pratfalls unfortunately don't really have the legs for the runtime