Is There As Specific Film Subject That You Just Don't Like?

Tools    

Not a fan of modern American Comedy.... love old comedy and foreign comedy... I dont find farts, boob jokes or anything degrading funny.
Theres the odd film that manages to pull if off reasonably well but by en large I'd agree, mainstream US comedy has become very narrow and purile the same way horror has become all jump scare clichés.

I'd say actually the biggest reason the Ghostbuster remake failed was the Feige's style was a mismatch to the original which included a lot more adult wit. I hold out more hope for the return to the original franchise as Jason Reitman is one of the few successful US comedy directors who hasn't gone down the "bro" route with stuff like Thank You For Smoking and Up In The Air.

Superhero movies, totally leave me cold. I tend to steer clear of romantic comedies too.

+1 for feeling nothing to superhero movies

A bucket of anxiety
I can't stand Heist movies whatsoever. They bore me to tears. Yes, we know that they will succeed; I don't care how clever it is, the ending is known.
I'm not the biggest fan of them either but my husband is (I guess it's the fantasy of it that's appealing to him), but there are quite of few heist flicks that end in a complete disaster. For example, there's The American Heist, Way Of The Gun and Set It Off.

A bucket of anxiety
films that over glorify america and the "american dream"
i hate propaganda, but i hate even more if it's american
show it like it is, i'll love you for it, show me the hungry and poor

films where the actors are from my generations and everything looks theatrical and fake,
piranha 3d was on tv last night, i had to change the channel once the dialogue started,
this isn't really a subject, but it's a pattern, guess it counts for something

i don't like romances where they live happily ever after, unless it's shrek or for kids with my age
i'm european, i like tragedy and sad endings when movies are supposed to mean something
only from tragedy and destruction new things can born, and i'm all into new experiences & perspectives
What are some movies you recommend?

What an excellent day for an exorcism
Buried alive. Can't watch movies where characters are buried alive and they have a lengthy scene of the victim inside the coffin, or buried in rubble, etc. My claustrophobia is at a level that's beyond unhealthy. I could never sleep well in a bunk bed. I feel like I'm in a box......like a coffin.

I assume the movie "Buried Alive" is all about a victim stuck in a coffin or cave or whatever. I don't know, I won't even read the synopsis. It takes less than a nanosecond for me to scroll past that title whenever I see it on one of my streaming channel's movie menus. Just seeing the title gives me the willies. In fact, when I typed the title above, my fingers started trembling on the keyboard.

What are some movies you recommend?
i don't know, the movies i love, i love them for the wrong reasons
i don't normally like very old movies, because i don't have a relation on the surface,
by the surface, i mean, relate in terms of environment and the character perception of it,
the opposite would be, philosophically, physiologically or emotionally
even so, i appreciate some of them artistically, like buñuel, tarkosvky, bergman, tarr, ect
my taste on music, films, literature and art in general are from artists from lows social hierarchies
i'm not a dreamer, and that is reflected on my taste, choices, philosophies and theories
maybe that's why i don't like the "american dream" kind of thing... going somewhere
on all the movies you'd find on my profile page you'd find this same pattern

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I find musical biopic movies to just not be very interesting or compelling whenever I see them, yet everyone seems to love them. I love artists' music, but I just don't think their lives are interesting enough to have a whole epic length movie made about them so far.

I find musical biopic movies to just not be very interesting or compelling whenever I see them, yet everyone seems to love them. I love artists' music, but I just don't think their lives are interesting enough to have a whole epic length movie made about them so far.
Maybe you've just seen the wrong ones. Which ones have you seen?

The Doors, Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman, Amadeus. I need to see more probably though. Actually Amadeus was better than the rest.

The Doors, Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocketman, Amadeus. I need to see more probably though. Actually Amadeus was better than the rest.
Yes, Amadeus is good.

The problem with many of the music bio-pics is that they try to cover a span of time from the very beginning of the celebrity, through their rise to fame and final downfall/ending....and tell that story in only two hours, which is to short of time to tell someone's full life story. A good bio-pic, though not a musical bio pic is Stan & Ollie (2018) Which covers only their last days and not their whole life story. Have you seen it?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Ha - I've been listening to The Doors since 4:30am at full blast

But what an AWFUL and totally inaccurate movie. Nothing worse than someone referencing THAT piece of **** as if it were the truth.

A bucket of anxiety
Ha - I've been listening to The Doors since 4:30am at full blast

But what an AWFUL and totally inaccurate movie. Nothing worse than someone referencing THAT piece of **** as if it were the truth.
So since we veered off into musician bio flicks (which I agree are pretty awful), I really enjoyed Get On Up about James Brown. It probably wasn't very accurate but it just seemed to want to genuinely tell the story of James Brown as opposed to reveal tons of baggage for an hour like most other black bio flicks. There's also Ray about Ray Charles. Not only did Jamie Foxx do an excellent job portraying him but they referenced off of Ray Charles himself. Another good one is Why Do Fools Fall In Love about Frankie Lymon, which is based off of the stories of his wives and is really funny.

Weird is relative.
I typically don't watch horror that focuses on "menacing ghosts" or curses or supernatural monsters. If there are monsters or killers I like seeing a logical explanation for them.

On the other hand, if it is a moreso "fantasy" type of movie, then I don't mind if there are strange or dangerous creatures, but usually they're from another dimension or another world and came to Earth through some kind of portal, etc. That's better than if they're imaginary and viewed through the mind of a creative child (like in Pan's Labyrinth, A Monster Calls, Bridge to Terabithia, etc., even though I did like those ones.)

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
I generally don’t like horror comedies. For example I love the original scream which I’d say is mostly horror, really disappointed in the sequels which try to be funnier.

I love scary movie though....that’s full
Spoof comedy.

Yes, Amadeus is good.

The problem with many of the music bio-pics is that they try to cover a span of time from the very beginning of the celebrity, through their rise to fame and final downfall/ending....and tell that story in only two hours, which is to short of time to tell someone's full life story. A good bio-pic, though not a musical bio pic is Stan & Ollie (2018) Which covers only their last days and not their whole life story. Have you seen it?
I would say an issue a lot of artistic bio epics have is that art in itself is often quite a technical exercise that's the product of prolonged practice that does not automatically make for strong drama. Generally the best examples tend to be those that don't focus as much on the specifics of the art itself and rather find some other drama, Amadeus or Andrei Rublev for example.

Trying to cover too much can definitely be an issue as well I'd agree making things unfocused as can falling back to rather bland rags to riches stories. Often the best films tend to deal with characters who have already become successful IMHO, Mr Turner recently for example covering the last years of his life.

Yes, Amadeus is good.

Oh okay. It just seems that a lot of musician biopics are the same, they get famous turn to drugs, then are miserable, and they then pick themselves back up again. Accept for the ending to The Doors, but the rest seemed the same as the others.