The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Anybody that hasn't seen The Descent, but feels compelled to watch because of this, make sure you check out the one with the original ending.

A system of cells interlinked
Anybody that hasn't seen The Descent, but feels compelled to watch because of this, make sure you check out the one with the original ending.
I was just about to post this! I got the **** ended when I saw it in theaters, but my copy at home has the proper ending in place, which is much better, IMO.

Anyway, The Descent was #14 on my list, and could probably have been higher. Probably the best theatrical horror experience I have had, as the movie really lent itself to extra tension while sitting in a dark cavernous room with a bunch of other people. A big biker guy with a bunch of tattoos screamed like a 5 year-old girl during that one scene. you know the one.

American Psycho was briefly in consideration, but got cut fairly quickly.

How did I forget about The Descent when I made my list? I would've placed it around the 15-ish area had I remembered it. A friend of mine who is quite claustrophobic surprisingly recommended the film to me, and I've watched it a couple times since then. As a few others have pointed out though, make sure you don't watch a copy that has the alternate ending.

I saw American Psycho once, and remember having mixed opinions about it. The scene with the business cards is really all that sticks out in my mind. I've been meaning to rewatch it for about a decade now, but I'm starting to wonder if I ever will haha.

Seen: 9/22

My List:
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Salty About Forgetting: The Descent (2005)

Not my cup of tea. Also, I hate Christian Bale even if I did vote for a movie he's in.
Yeah, but Requiem??

The truth is in here
I can't tell who's a harsher critic, Miss Vicky or Iroquis.

American Psycho is the second movie that came close to making my list. Really close in fact. But for some reason I wasn't super duper 100% sure of putting it on there, so it missed the cut. Still nice to see that it made the countdown.

The Descent I've thought about seeing many times and have definitely got to give a watch some day. As Above, So Below is another movie that took place almost entirely underground, and although it was no masterpiece it really made you panic with how inescapable the place seemed to be. I expect this to give me the same kind of feeling.

A system of cells interlinked
As Above, So Below is another movie that took place almost entirely underground, and although it was no masterpiece it really made you panic with how inescapable the place seemed to be. I expect this to give me the same kind of feeling.
Underrated flick. My wife and I like this one a lot.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
I saw #79. American Psycho twenty years ago when it was released in the theaters.
Naturally, I don't remember many details but the feeling and the visual style are still fresh in my mind. Back then, this movie was special for us mostly because of its main actor who was the grew up boy from our loved Spielberg classic of the 80's (guess the film).

Anyway, every time when I prepare a list about cinema of 2000 or the 2000's, I consider for a while this film. It would probably be my #40 of the decade.

▷ This movie is ranked #5 in MoFo 2000 Film Chart.
--
I've never heard the title placed on #80.

Seen 9/22.
--
My list:
#9. Amores perros [#81.]
#14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38)

Have seen so far: 6 - The Descent was an ok movie and American Psycho was good, one of the last movies to watch before putting my 2000s list together and thought it would make it but it didn't
Have not seen so far: 16

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Awards

Now to the awards received by The Descent...

• Saturn Award for Best Horror Film
  • British Independent Film Award for Best Director (Neil Marshall)
  • British Independent Film Award for Best Technical Achievement - Editing (Jon Harris)
  • Empire Award for Best Horror
  • Golden Trailer Award for Best Thriller

As for American Psycho, it won...

• Awards Circuit Community Award for Best Lead Actor (Christian Bale)
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Adapted Screenplay (Mary Harron and Guinevere Turner)
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Actor (Bale)
  • Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Wide-Release Film
  • Fangoria Chainsaw Award for Best Actor (Bale)
  • International Horror Guild Best Movie Award

We've gone on holiday by mistake
"I killed Paul Allen........and I liked it"

I'm up to 6/20 so still doing lame over here.
Even I've seen more than that. Dude, it's a 00's countdown and you've seen fewer movies than I have? Even at this early stage that's not a good sign. I expect it won't last much longer though.

I blind bought American Psycho after hearing/reading tons of praise for it. It came in a three pack with Way of the Gun and Requiem for a Dream. I didn't care for it at all. Actually that whole pack was a strike-out for me.
I always get sad when I am reminded that MV didn't like Way Of The Gun. Another surefire film for the list I didn't send in.

I like The Descent. It was a bit of a weird cinema experience becasue I was with 4 other people and when we left the screening I was in a good mood and then on the way to the car, the grumbling started... Well, that was a waste of time, wasn't it? What a load of ****! and so on. I just asked "what?" and they all regaled me with why it was terrible and not just that they didn't enjoy it (which they obviously hadn't) but actually poor. I was gobsmacked. OK, once the talc covered Gollum's showed up it went downhill and they were a bit silly, but it was stiil good and before it was terrific, wasn't it? No, came the answer. Thought they were weird then and still do. I don't know if it'd make my list (I thought I might struggle getting to 25 for this so it's possible) but even if I hadn't, it's an excellent addition.

American Psycho, on the other hand, to quote my friends, "Well, that was a waste of time, wasn't it? What a load of ****!" I only saw it the once though and was expecting something a little more serious/conventional, so maybe knowing what I'm going into would make all the difference?

The Descent came out the summer I graduated high school. Out of all my friends only two agreed to go see it with me. We were all scared ****less on a hot summer afternoon. Coming out of the theater I was all excited going, “Wasn’t that great!?” And my friends, still shaking, said, “You’re not allowed to pick the movies anymore.”

I'm not a big horror fan, there are quite few horror movies I really like. The Descent is better then 90% of the horror movies I've seen, but it's still not a favorite of mine. Kind of entertaining and well thought concept.

I like American Psycho a lot, I agree with Harry Lime that it's a comedy, there are some seriously hilarious stuff in there. The throw of the chainsaw, the lovemaking while making poses. It wasn't close to make my list, but I find it very good.

I liked The Descent. Watching the women band together (for the most part) without the help of men was empowering and fascinating.

American Psycho does well in places, but it's ultimately just another story about a psycho doing terrible things to people. Bale does give a good performance and I'll admit it inspired one of the best songs of the year.

Neither one made my list.