The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I'm not saying that your guess is right... but some of the lines from the hint might work for both films. So it's not necessarily "this line for this film, that line for that film"
I hear ya, but I am thinking at least some of the lines, or perhaps even just one, might be for one film or the other...

Discussed that a bit earlier:

Messes with the layout.

Also kinda dissonant: it's supposed to be a banner draped over the post, but there's nothing in that place to drape it over.

I might be able to add it back but it would need to be reworked or repositioned.
I'll see what I can do, but I'm literally closing on a house tomorrow, so it's a little bonkers right now.

I hear ya, but I am thinking at least some of the lines, or perhaps even just one, might be for one film or the other...
I can say that, at least, it is half and half for each film.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Discussed that a bit earlier:

I'll see what I can do, but I'm literally closing on a house tomorrow, so it's a little bonkers right now.
o.O

(I really can't help myself)

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Linklater is one of my favourite directors and I did a tear through most of his filmography last year. Waking Life is definitely near the top of the heap for me, though its heavy lean on philosophy means that I don't exactly feel like going back to it too often. Despite getting quoted in Thief's follow-up post, I have to admit that Amores perros didn't hold up as well on a recent rewatch - still my favourite of Inarritu's work by some distance, but what does that even mean these days.

80 points, 7 lists
The Descent
Director

Neil Marshall, 2005

Starring

Shauna Macdonald, Natalie Mendoza, Alex Reid, MyAnna Buring

80 points, 8 lists
American Psycho
Director

Mary Harron, 2000

Starring

Christian Bale, Willem Dafoe, Jared Leto, Josh Lucas

WARNING: spoilers below
Sounds a lot like The Descent to me.
Pretty much 100% on The Descent being one of the next films, which I just watched again recently, and it keeps getting better every time I see it!

Drowned by work is a key statement for the other film, which I just can't quite figure out...

I will take a shot in the dark with Batman Begins for the other film.
Yeah, The Descent was kinda the obvious one. Will break down the hint now.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've watched The Descent a couple of times and I do respect it to an extent but I find it hard to genuinely like it - certainly good at generating discomfort and horror in the abstract, but it's in service of plot and characters that I find underwhelming. American Psycho, on the other hand, is a classic.

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Feel like I'm trapped (obvious for The Descent, but Bateman is in a way trapped)
Down in a hole (self explanatory)
Drowned by work (leaning more towards how the work/corporate life drowns people in AP)
Feeling so cold (can refer to the coldness of the cave or the coldness of a psychopath, or an emotionless yuppie)

(this paragraph is pretty much The Descent from top to bottom)
I can't breathe
Drowned by grief
Blood to the teeth
Trying to live

(while this one is pretty much American Psycho top to bottom)
My weapon is ego
Drown you with blabber (reference to Bateman talking and talking)
Never let ye go
Down stairs and ladder (this and the above, sorta reference to the chainsaw, stairs scene)

This is the end (end of the film)
You are all blind (literal blindness of cave creatures, darkness, or blindness to what's happening in AP)
Cakes and cards (reference to the birthday cake from The Descent, or the presentation cards in AP)
Is it all in my mind? (self explanatory for both since they're both ambiguous)
There you go, for those curious about the hint.

I'm not a fan of horror but have seen American Psycho it has some interesting aspects with the black comedy that's twisted. But I've never been a fan of gore killings. I prefer fluffy kitties and snowflake shaped cookies.

Reply to Topic