MISCELLANEOUS

Tools    

In retrospect, I think I'm glad I didn't grow up with MTV.
(My family didn't have cable and I never had it until I was in my late 20's, living on my own).

The reason is that I formed my own images of songs in my head, and it was those self-made images & associations that made certain songs special to me.

Now, with YouTube, I can look up a song I like and see the video that was made for it... and I tell you, I'm often disappointed to see how some songs were interpreted visually.

So many videos have little to nothing to do with the song or were just someone's attempt to add something flashy and visual to a tune.
And so many are nothing like the images the songs evoked in my own head. If I'd seen some of the videos when I first heard the music, I more than likely would have grown up feeling completely different about those songs - and more times than not, would have had a negative association with many songs I grew up loving based solely on the melodies and lyrics.

Just thought I'd share that!

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
In retrospect, I think I'm glad I didn't grow up with MTV.
(My family didn't have cable and I never had it until I was in my late 20's, living on my own).

The reason is that I formed my own images of songs in my head, and it was those self-made images & associations that made certain songs special to me.

Now, with YouTube, I can look up a song I like and see the video that was made for it... and I tell you, I'm often disappointed to see how some songs were interpreted visually.

So many videos have little to nothing to do with the song or were just someone's attempt to add something flashy and visual to a tune.
And so many are nothing like the images the songs evoked in my own head. If I'd seen some of the videos when I first heard the music, I more than likely would have grown up feeling completely different about those songs - and more times than not, would have had a negative association with many songs I grew up loving based solely on the melodies and lyrics.

Just thought I'd share that!

Clearly you don't listen to country music. Many country music videos are like watching a mini-movie of the song.

Clearly you don't listen to country music. Many country music videos are like watching a mini-movie of the song.
This is true, gbg, I've rarely watched country music videos.

I have nothing against country music, I like some of it, but it's not my "go-to" choice.

Do you have any recommendations for good country music videos?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
This is true, gbg, I've rarely watched country music videos.

I have nothing against country music, I like some of it, but it's not my "go-to" choice.

Do you have any recommendations for good country music videos?

These are some country music songs that have good videos, (in no specific order):

Garth Brooks - The Dance

Reba McEntire - Is There Life Out There?

Ricky Skaggs - Honey (Open That Door)

Joe Diffie - Prop Me Up Beside the Jukebox (If I Die)

Sammy Kershaw - Yard Sale

Martina McBride - Independence Day

Rhett Akins - She Said Yes

Darryl Worley - I Miss My Friend

Michael Martin Murphey - What She Wants

John Michael Montgomery - The Little Girl

Tim McGraw - Don't Take The Girl

Brad Paisley - He Didn't Have To Be

Mel McDaniel - Stand Up

Exactly why I love YouTube as compared to, say, Spotify. I love music videos, whether they’re vintage ones of, say, the Stones, or newer ones like Amy Winehouse.

If there’s one thing I hate with a passion it’s country music.

Wasn't sure where to post this... but I was looking at YouTube and in a list of videos on the side I saw one announcing the death of Bill Murray "16 minutes ago".

I nearly freaked, but then clicked on the video (from May) and found someone had reported his death, but it was of a different person named Bill Murray that had died. Bill Murray, the actor & comedian is still alive & well.

Why? Not for the first madman/dictator the royals have met, entertained. Obviously that pic was taken long ago (I don't know when) but he's rarely not been 'problematic'.

Wasn't sure where to post this... but I was looking at YouTube and in a list of videos on the side I saw one announcing the death of Bill Murray "16 minutes ago".

I nearly freaked, but then clicked on the video (from May) and found someone had reported his death, but it was of a different person named Bill Murray that had died. Bill Murray, the actor & comedian is still alive & well.

gosh that almost scared me until i read ur comment D= glad his still alive i loved some of his movies

I had a major Mandela-movie-effect.

Was watching Alien (1979) again because it was on TCM-OnDemand. I've seen it several times, but not recently.

I kept thinking there was a scene where Captain Dallas (Tom Skerritt) was found, still barely alive, strung up in a kind of nest the alien had made aboard the Nostromo. I thought I remembered Dallas speaking to the crew (or at least Ripley) - perhaps asking them to put him out of his misery or blow up the ship.

Now, I know there are scenes like this in Aliens (1986) where people are strung up on the base in alien nests, still alive, but being used as hosts for new aliens. And I realize Dallas would not have been a host because (as far as I know) only a face-hugger alien can "impregnate" a human with a new xenomorph.

What lends to my apparently false memory is that, in Alien, we kind of see the demise of the other crew members at the hands of the xenomorph, but with Dallas, he's in the ducts, there's a jump scare with the first full shot of the alien's head, then we never see Dallas again - his death is not depicted in any way (thus I was waiting for him to show up in a scene that did not occur).

Any clues on why I'm remembering this? Deleted scene maybe?
Or am I just misconstruing scenes from other sequels from the Alien franchise?

I had a major Mandela-movie-effect.

Was watching Alien (1979) again because it was on TCM-OnDemand. I've seen it several times, but not recently.

I kept thinking there was a scene where Captain Dallas (Tom Skerritt) was found, still barely alive, strung up in a kind of nest the alien had made aboard the Nostromo. I thought I remembered Dallas speaking to the crew (or at least Ripley) - perhaps asking them to put him out of his misery or blow up the ship.

Now, I know there are scenes like this in Aliens (1986) where people are strung up on the base in alien nests, still alive, but being used as hosts for new aliens. And I realize Dallas would not have been a host because (as far as I know) only a face-hugger alien can "impregnate" a human with a new xenomorph.

What lends to my apparently false memory is that, in Alien, we kind of see the demise of the other crew members at the hands of the xenomorph, but with Dallas, he's in the ducts, there's a jump scare with the first full shot of the alien's head, then we never see Dallas again - his death is not depicted in any way (thus I was waiting for him to show up in a scene that did not occur).

Any clues on why I'm remembering this? Deleted scene maybe?
Or am I just misconstruing scenes from other sequels from the Alien franchise?
Never seen Alien so can’t comment.

Good news - my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was.

My memory of Alien was not a Mandela effect. I looked it up, and in a Director's cut of the movie there was a scene (deleted from the original) where Dallas and Brett (Harry Dean Stanton) as well are found, still barely alive and cocooned into the alien's nest. Apparently, the men are being held because the xenomorph can lay eggs (I thought only the "Queen" laid eggs?) that could impregnate the men - according to one explanation.

I must have seen the Director's cut at some point.

The scene does give closure to Dallas's fate, and he does ask Ripley to kill him, which she does.

It can be found on YouTube, but is an extremely disturbing scene.

The New York Times tech team offered this very good tip last week.

If there’s something you want to buy online leave it in your cart for a couple of days. Even better, pull it out of your cart & put it back in a couple of times.

Most very likely you will get an email from the seller offering a discount. Can’t remember if this only applies to first-time customers, but I think it must do.

Anyway, I tried it buying a dress from a site I’d never bought from before. Eventually ended up with a discount of $49 when they saw me dithering about the purchase.

Good tip IMO.

Got a FedEx delivery this morning. Had to be thrown over the fence (as per usual) as front gate is locked. What surprised me today is that the driver was female, which is my first time seeing a female humping all those heavy boxes around. I could barely lift my box off the ground. Got chatting & she told me she’s been doing this for 30 years. Strong woman. Respect.

You said July 4th already when it was a couple of days before.
I’m becoming more American every day - rushing the seasons & the holidays.