PeterVincent's Top 150

→ in
Tools    

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
123. The Weather Man

The much forgotten & unloved Gore Verbinski film in between his production of Pirates Of The Caribbean: Curse Of The Black Pearl & Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest was Nicolas Cage's The Weather Man. Whilst this film had some major pacing issues & almost no plot at all, it succeeded entirely on dark humour & wit (much like Cage's Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans). Cage struts around with some horrible plug-ins and delivers a hilarious performance with deadpan humour whilst Michael Caine portrays his stubborn yet simplistic father. This dark comedy is rarely talked about & rarely appreciated...except for when it comes to me.

122. Aladdin

A Disney film that was recently re-released from the 'Disney vault'. Aladdin appeared (for the first twenty minutes, at least), to be a generic story of a boy meets a girl, boy then saves the girl, they live happily ever after. Whilst this was the actual formula of the film, it was completely saved and pulled my Robin Williams' Genie, who adds pop culture references & snazz in places that are much needed. In fact if it weren't for the genie...this probably wouldn't be on my list. He makes the film.

121. Sunshine

Danny Boyle is a hot contender when it comes to my favourite director. Mr. Boyle seems to always succeed in both the box office returns & the quality of the film when it comes to him and his low-budget masterpieces (Trainspotting, 28 Days Later & the very recent Trance...well...and Slumdog Millionaire, I guess.), Sunshine was a change however, Boyle got a substantial budget & used it to great effect, & whilst the film was great (despite borrowing from some other films, such as Event Horizon & Alien), it didn't succeed at the box office & wasn't nearly as popular as some of his previous works. Sunshine is, however, a fantastic film. It delves into drama, thriller, horror and sci-fi in a satisfying way & the much criticised climax isn't as bad as some people boast, I think it's quite entertaining actually.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Sunshine is Danny Boyle's masterpiece.

Let the night air cool you off
Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom - I've seen it, but can't honestly remember anything about it.

X-Men - I think I liked it the first time I saw it, but it's been awhile.

Commando - I can't call it good, but it is an entertaining experience.

Superman Returns - I don't care for Superman as a character in the first place, but this movie didn't help that.

Live Free Or Die Hard - I don't think I liked this, but I can't remember much about it.

Pineapple Express - I do actually remember this one . It's a whole lot of fun.

Source Code - Not as good as Duncan Jones' first feature film, Moon, but still a pretty good sci-fi film. Pretty underrated.

Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl - The only PotC film worth it's weight in salt.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - I think I remember it being fun. I'm not the biggest fan of Indiana Jones though.

The Weather Man - Sincerely despise this film. Nic Cage is one of the worst big name actors of all-time. His good performances show up less than Halley's Comet.

Aladdin - Great choice, mate.

Of the ones on your list I haven't seen, I most want to see Hot Fuzz and Sunshine.

120. Die Hard With A Vengeance

John McClane is back with a vengeance! Well, to me at least. Die Hard With A Vengeance delivers a fresh new take on the Die Hard franchise, switching the 'one man stuck in a building' story to the old 'one man in a city...with another man' story. Bruce Willis delivers as the ever-so-loveable & awesome John McClane, whilst Samuel L. Jackson delivers plenty of laugh &...well, plenty of laughs! One of the best in the series, it also benefits from Jeremy Irons' performance as the villain.

119. Tomorrow Never Dies

Pierce Brosnan comes back as Bond in his second venture, Tomorrow Never Dies. Whilst there was absolutely no chance this would be as good as Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies was a pleasantly fun surprise. With a simpleish premise & action set pieces up the wazoo, this is arguably one of the most fun Bond movies out there. Brosnan delivers plenty of cheesy one liners & ice cold remarks as 007, whilst Jonathan Price shows up as the villain, who reminds you that: There's no news, like bad news.

118. Army Of Darkness

Whilst being arguably the weakest of Sam Raimi's Evil Dead series, Army Of Darkness is (to me) the most fun out of the three. Army Of Darkness boasts impressive set pieces & practical effects, however, if you hate cheese...this isn't for you. What Army Of Darkness boasts most of all though...is Bruce Campbell, a man with more charisma than anyone else on the planet.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Die Hard With A Vengeance is my favourite film of the series. Still haven't seen Army Of Darkness and (despite your persistent recommendations) Tomorrow Never Dies.

Let the night air cool you off
Army of Darkness is so much better than the first two films in the trilogy. It's the only Evil Dead movie that I'd watch again on my own accord.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Die Hard With A Vengeance is my favourite film of the series. Still haven't seen Army Of Darkness and (despite your persistent recommendations) Tomorrow Never Dies.
You think it's better than Die Hard?.

Nope, I just like it more.
It is very entertaining. Willis and Jackson are a great duo.

Army of Darkness is so much better than the first two films in the trilogy. It's the only Evil Dead movie that I'd watch again on my own accord.
I don't know about BOTH the first two but I will admit I like Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness more the The original Evil Dead (which is still very good) and the new mediocre remake. Mostly due to more emphasis on Bruce Campbell and the humor.

Seriously. Should've started at 100.

Die Hard With A Vengeance is ok, though. After that it's Bond and the most bafflingly loved film I can think of. Honestly, I just don't get it... Or him.

117. The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Who would ever think to cast Vince Vaughn in a Jurassic Park movie? Steven Spielberg, that's who. As for the rest of the movie, it's a perfectly fine sequel to a great film...with the exception of that dumb scene involving the little girl performing gymnastics to defeat a Velociraptor.

116. Sin City

Frank Miller delivered a good movie with Rodriguez...once. It was called Sin City, & it was one of the first notable films to be shot entirely upon a green screen. Not only was this film an interesting evolution in technology that would later be used again & again (Zack Snyder's 300 & Frank Miller's The Spirit), it was also a pretty good damn movie that managed to keep fairly true to the tone of the graphic novel (written by the co-director, Frank Miller, but then again...I'm not sure how much of the Sin City film actually came from Mr. Miller). Sin City's show is stolen by Mickey Rourke's character though, because he is so. damn. interesting.

115. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is without a doubt one of the most quirky films ever made. With it's tongue in it's cheek, it treads on already well known areas with a sense of humour & a stating of the obvious. Whilst Downey Jr. provides a charismatic (as usual) performance & Shane Black's writing/direction is fantastic, the real scene stealer (this may come as a surprise to those who have not watched this film) is Val Kilmer as Perry...yes, Val Kilmer is the highlight.

114. Galaxy Quest

Ah the 90's, when parody films were more than just 'oh hey! Here's a cultural reference' films. Galaxy Quest won my heart not only by parodying one of my favourite franchises of all time (...Star Trek, if you didn't know), it won it through charm & a surprising seriousness and respectability. The film goes from lighthearted parody to a movie with a message throughout it's runtime & manages to be a magical experience (the score is very underrated, along with the villain of the film). A good Tim Allen film? Yes, yes it is...but Alan Rickman (as usual) steals the show.

113. The Incredible Hulk

After the abysmal film that was Ang Lee's Hulk, the character appeared dead. Strangely enough though, the reboot was great not for the actual Hulk himself...it was for the interesting take on Bruce Banner. Edward Norton portrays Bruce in an interesting way and the first 20 minutes is a spectacular film with a great chase scene and some great action, after the Hulk appears though there is a slight decline in quality...But we do get a 20 minute fight at the end that's ridiculously entertaining. Oh! And Tim Roth!

112. Anastasia

An animated children's film about a Russian princess who escapes a murder & goes into hiding? What? That will never work!

It worked. It was magical. With great animation, excellent vocal work, & outstanding songs, Anastasia is an experience that I will never forget.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
+Rep for Galaxy Quest. Some really funny moments in it, especially if you are a bit of a Star Trek fan.

It is a shame that Tomorrow Never Dies sucked so bad after the best Bond from the last 30 years "Goldeneye". The evil press baron starting wars to sell more papers, and the totally camp big blonde haired German bad guy.

I reckon Ang Lee's Hulk was actually better than the Edward Norton mess. The CGI ending battle was terribad. Was weird watching all the same characters from the Ang Lee version played by different actors. Not quite sure what an actor of Edward Norton's class was thinking here. Probably $$$.

+Rep for Galaxy Quest. Some really funny moments in it, especially if you are a bit of a Star Trek fan.

It is a shame that Tomorrow Never Dies sucked so bad after the best Bond from the last 30 years "Goldeneye". The evil press baron starting wars to sell more papers, and the totally camp big blonde haired German bad guy.

I reckon Ang Lee's Hulk was actually better than the Edward Norton mess. The CGI ending battle was terribad. Was weird watching all the same characters from the Ang Lee version played by different actors. Not quite sure what an actor of Edward Norton's class was thinking here. Probably $$$.
The Incredible Hulk was alot better than The Hulk. Ed Norton did a great job and the end battle scene was great. I'd still rate it better than Captain America, Iron Man 2 and Thor.

111. Waterworld

Nothing's free in Waterworld!

Over the years there seems to be some strange perception that Waterworld is one of the worst movies ever made, (from some of my peers & local DVD store clerks, mostly), however, just because Waterworld cost a damn lot and didn't exactly make as much as it should have, doesn't mean it's a bad film. Kevin Costner delivers a fine performance & the whole tone of the movie is swell & exciting. I also quote Kim Coates' character on a very regular basis.

When it comes to adventure. Costner has you covered...if Harrison Ford is busy, of course.

110. The Breakfast Club

Whilst I always try my very best to remember quotes from this film, my memory always fails me...but for some reason I can quote the entire last 30 minutes of The Matrix Revolutions...hmmm. Anyhow, The Breakfast Club is, without a doubt, a fine pice of work from John Hughes, a man who has delivered more 80's classics than I can count. Whilst the show is stolen by You Know Who, the whole cast deliver a great performance & make what could have been a boring film, a very entertaining film indeed.

109. The Princess Bride

All I have to say is one thing;

People who do not like nor understand the brilliance of this film are INCONCEIVABLE!