Tyler's 101 Favourite Foreign Films

Tools    

It'd be cool if you did write-ups for some of the earlier ones on this thread. It seems like you've been watching a huge range of stuff lately and frequently re-assessing your own tastes. I'm not knocking you for it since I do that a lot too, but it would be interesting to hear your reasons. The one I noticed in particular is Tale of Tales, which I think you rated pretty low when you first saw it.

I really like that and Underground and Days of Being Wild. I've only seen about half and there are several I haven't heard of. The only one I would really question is Ghost in the Shell, a really boring movie IMO.

Of the movies you have listed so far and your list is fairly varied, I have not seen La Antena, Yeleen and Ten Canoes, as they don't seem to be the kind of movies that interest me.
The most notable ones on your list that are definitely the kind of movies I like and would linclude in my 100 best foreign films ( if I was ever to make one ) are La Prophete, Old Boy, Hanabi, The White Ribbon, The Lives Of Others, Cinema Paradiso, The Orphanage, Battle D' Algiers and Mother.

There's excellent films on here: The Life of Others, Au Revoir Les Enfants, Le Samouraï, Tropa de Elite, Goodbye Dragon Inn, The Battle of Algiers. I'd probably have all of them higher, except Tropa de Elite.

I'm awaiting Army of Shadows, Jean de Florette and Memories of Murder, perhaps The Chaser?

There's excellent films on here: The Life of Others, Au Revoir Les Enfants, Le Samouraï, Tropa de Elite, Goodbye Dragon Inn, The Battle of Algiers. I'd probably have all of them higher, except Tropa de Elite.

I'm awaiting Army of Shadows, Jean de Florette and Memories of Murder, perhaps The Chaser?
Thanks for your kind comments. Another person who loves Goodbye Dragon Inn! A few of the ones you await are appearing near the end, which is very high up on the list.

59. Ikiru

I love how Kurosawa has made such a humane film that rivals the best of Ozu's. It makes one reflect on the meaning of life. It never becomes too sentimental; never preachy. The film drags a little during the last hour, but a powerful and earnest lead performance secures this gem as one of my favourite Kurosawa.

58. Wild Strawberries

Another film about old age, but one that remains distant and cold. I love the dream-sequences, notably the one where the old man saw himself in his coffin. Intense.

57. Shutter

Thailand is a country known for churning out tons of cheap horror schlocks in recent years. Yet, this simple film about capturing unseen evil through the lenses of a camera is the best of them all. The ending is so chilling that it haunted me for hours.

56. Waltz With Bashir

Whats most fascinating about the movie is that its about reconciliation.

55. Red Cliff

Better than Curse of the Golden Flower, the elaborate battle scenes are breathtaking, the costumes so eye-popping, that one forgets about the equally brilliant storytelling narrative.

Why did you ever stop this? It was off to a great start
Too many changes. But if you're interested here's what I really, really love (and that means a
):

France

Last Year at Marienbad
Three Crowns of the Sailor
La Haine
Le Trou
A Man Escaped
Army of Shadows
The Grand Illusion
Orpheus
The Earrings of Madam de...
Cache
A Prophet
Alphaville
The 400 Blows
Les Diaboliques

Japan

Sansho the Bailiff
Pastoral: To Die in the Country
Shonen
Still Walking
Cure
Sonatine
Woman in the Dunes
Branded To Kill
Harakiri
Seven Samurai
Spirited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
Millennium Actress
Late Spring

Germany

M
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
Das Boot
The Marriage of Maria Braun
Aguirre
Wings of Desire
Downfall
The Lives of Others

Italy

The Conformist
Amarcord
Big Deal on Madonna Street
Deep Red
Black Sunday
The Leopard
Paisan

Scandinavia

Persona (Sweden)
My Life As A Dog (Sweden)
Ariel (Finland)
The Winter War (Finland)
Max Manus (Norway)

Eastern Europe

The Double Life of Veronique (Poland)
Blue (Poland)
The Hourglass Sanatorium (Poland)
Marketa Lazarova (Czech)
Dimensions of Dialogue (Czech)
Pretty Village, Pretty Flame (Serbia)
Underground (Serbia)
No Man's Land (Bosnia)
Werckmeister Harmonies (Hungary)
Kontroll (Hungary)
Landscape in the Mist (Greece)

Others:

I am Cuba (Cuba)
The Battle of Algiers (Algeria)
Moolaade (Senegal)
The Blue Kite (China)
A Summer at Grandpa's (Taiwan)
The Terrorizers (Taiwan)
Centre Stage (Hong Kong)
Save the Green Planet (Korea)
Oasis (Korea)
Turning Gate (Korea)
A Bittersweet Life (Korea)
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... And Spring (Korea)
Memories of Murder (Korea)
The Wind Will Carry Us (Iran)
The House is Black (Iran)
Ajami (Israel)
Stalker (Russia)
Come and See (Russia)
The Cranes Are Flying (Russia)
El Verdugo (Spain)
Spirit of the Beehive (Spain)
Pan's Labyrinth (Spain)
All About My Mother (Spain)
Pixote (Brazil)
City of God (Brazil)
Man Bites Dog (Belgium)
District 9 (South Africa)

Pretty sure I'm missing a few out.

One of the best lists I've ever seen! Pity you haven't finished it.
It's actually almost complete with all the films listed with the 5 star rating. I'd missed out a few like My Night At Maud's, Maboroshi, The Hole and Five Deadly Venoms.