1980-2010 Great Films

→ in
Tools    

Okay, so here's another list of my favourites. I pick 30 films which i love from the 80s up to 2010. My previous favourite 50 films list had very few 'recent' movies, so i will be doing one more list.

30. The Fly (Cronenberg)

Cronenberg must have been a Kafka-fan, for this film is terrifying not because of gore or jump scares, but the whole madness in the metamorphosis itself.

29. The Pianist (Polanski)

We have seen many Holocaust films, but this one focuses more on the Warsaw uprising in the Polish ghettos. It deserved the Palme'd or award that year, proving that Polanski is still a top-notch director.

28. No Country For Old Men (Coen)

No country for old men, or aka 'how you can't escape from a lone killer'. There is one particular scene whereby the killer turns off the lights in the hallway so as to have his footsteps undetected, a clear reference to Hitchcock's Rear Window's final scene. Bona fide suspense!

BANNED
28. No Country For Old Men (Coen)

No country for old men, or aka 'how you can't escape from a lone killer'. There is one particular scene whereby the killer turns off the lights in the hallway so as to have his footsteps undetected, a clear reference to Hitchcock's Rear Window's final scene. Bona fide suspense!

27. In The Mood For Love (Wong)

Wong knows how to make slo-mo so beautiful and mesmerising. The Hong Kong city is intoxicating.

26. 3 Colours Trilogy (Kieslowski)

My personal favourite is the first one- Three Colours:Blue. Really sad film.

25. Dancer In The Dark (Trier)

Lars von Trier may have an oversized ego, and you would either love or hate him. However, this masterpiece is so poignant for a musical (c'mon, a musical) that you will find yourself overwhelmed by melodrama. Yes, melodrama.

the thing about making these lists, and being a member on these boards is that everytime you finish your list, its only weeks later when you feel you can re-do it.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Blue is also my favourite of the trilogy.

24. Wings Of Desire (Wenders)

Wenders: “My story isn’t about Berlin because it’s set there but because it couldn’t be set anywhere else. The name of the film will be “The Sky Over Berlin” (a translation of the film’s more evocative German title) because the sky is maybe the only thing that unites these two cities apart from their past of course. Will there be a common future? Heaven only knows.”

23. Die Hard (McTiernan)

Arguably the finest action film. Period.

22. Terminator 2 (Cameron)

21. Gladiator (Scott)

Gladiator succeeds not only as an epic sword-and-sandals entertainment movie, but also as a parody of the political system which mirrors today's society.

20. Dead Man (Jarmusch)

It's weird for a western? or is it a satire? The black&white used is suffocating.. And Johnny Depp gives his best performance as the 'dead man'.

I like Terminator 2 and The Fly

No Country For Old Men is in the watchlist.

Gah! Se7en is in everyone's list here, I MUST get around to seeing that movie. I loved Zodiac, so i won't be surprised if I end up loving David Fincher's other crime thriller

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
21. Gladiator (Scott)

Gladiator succeeds not only as an epic sword-and-sandals entertainment movie, but also as a parody of the political system which mirrors today's society.
It's also apparently a parody of East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause.

16. The Thing (Carpenter)

15. Grave Of The Fireflies (Takahata)

The saddest movie ive seen. The Japanese really know how to make you cry

15. Come And See (Klimov)

It might be about blind revenge, but this psychological anti-war film is great enough to have some of its images to stick in your head for a long time.

13. Spirited Away (Miyazaki)

12. The Shining (Kubrick)

My favourite horror film Its also one of the most analysed movies ever.

11. Ran (Kurosawa)

Kurosawa was 75 years old when he directed Ran. Wow!