Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night

Rewatch. I think I enjoyed it more this time around than the first view. This movie is awesome

So freaking chilling. Brooks gave one of the best performances of his long career.

'Mass' (2021)

I thought it was great. Martha Plimpton was the standout for me. top drawer performance. The dialogue too, for a first time writer director is outstanding. Very powerful chamber piece.

I also really liked the opening 15 minutes that focus on the church staff. I think it's perhaps telling us that the neurotic lady in charge is the one without any balance in her life, and the kid who she keeps rolling her eyes at, is just doing his job.

WARNING: "Slight spoilers ahead:" spoilers below
I'm a little confused about the sudden aspect ratio change around two thirds of the way through - does this signal the start of the forgiveness process and end of hurt and blame? Also the end shot of the lights going on - is that metaphorical or just to show the locality and community aspect of the setting?

Really good film either way.

Better Living Through Movie Quotes
This film is so different, maybe you have some thoughts about what you watched?

I've watched the film only once a few years ago and I concluded that I was watching pure allegory. The house represented the mind of the artist. The different people represented different aspects of his mind. Badham was the Ego. Lawrence was his feminine, creative side. The fetus was the developing writing project, all the house guests represented distracting and destructive influences on the mind. I have always wanted to re-watch to see if my ideas hold water, but I haven't yet done it.

Victim of The Night

Strip Nude for Your Killer (1975)
What else would you expect from the director who brought us Burial Ground.
And now this film has my attention.

And now this film has my attention.
I’m a big fan. Probably my favorite trashy giallo (unless Torso counts) and any giallo with Edwige Fenech is worth seeing.

Fritz the Cat (Ralph Bakshi, 1972)
I don't know what I was expecting but I definitely wasn't expecting I could loosely describe as "relevant" lmao. A snapshot of American culture that feels exactly the same as it does today.It hasn't all aged the best but its still stylistically cool and a good time.

Do the right thing 1989 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097216/

7/10

outlaw king 2018 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6679794/

6/10

In honor of Bogdanovich passing, I decided to finally watch Paper Moon, despite my aversion to Ryan O’Neal.

I’m glad I did because he and his daughter Tatum prove an outstanding, charismatic and hilarious duo of a flimflam man and his estranged, possible daughter. It’s all at once hilarious, poignant and finely crafted.

An effortlessly lovable film.

5/5

In honor of Bogdanovich passing, I decided to finally watch Paper Moon, despite my aversion to Ryan O’Neal.

I’m glad I did because he and his daughter Tatum prove an outstanding, charismatic and hilarious duo of a flimflam man and his estranged, possible daughter. It’s all at once hilarious, poignant and finely crafted.

An effortlessly lovable film.

5/5
And somehow, it's still "only" the second best movie Bogs made in the early 70's.

And somehow, it's still "only" the second best movie Bogs made in the early 70's.
Last Picture Show?

A film is a collaborative effort, but a truly bad film requires a man with a vision.

Birth of a Nation meets student film. If this were on SyFy, we could call it Racenado. The mayor of New York (a blue-haired young person with a man-bun) is killing all black people in the city... ...because, of course he is. The writing, acting, direction, and production value is Godsploitation-tier, which is to say terrible. The film attempts to wrestle with complications of corruption (arguing the "bad apples" metaphor to a middle ground of "Just kill the bad New York cops" and the ramifications of using violence to end violence), but when Mayor McManbun turns Herod and orders one of his henchmen to kill all newborn black babies in the city of New York 2/3rds through the film, what is the Weapon of God supposed to do?

As a serious film this is 1/5, perhaps 0/5 or perhaps we're into negative numbers here.

Taken as a joke, however, it's kind hilarious. This is Ed Wood stuff. If you're in the right mood, you will be entertained until you can't take it anymore.

Weapons of Death (1977)
aka Napoli Spara!

An Italian crime action that has some issues with bloat in the story, and as a result, it feels rushed. It has its charms, though, and Henry Silva is always good.

--
Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Quite a pleasant 80s throwback that rightfully ignores the previous travesty in the franchise. There's nothing new or innovative here, but it's an easy enough watch. I even considered half a point higher rating, but the fan service, in the end, was a bit too cringe. I also learned that McKenna Grace can sing and write music, and quite well too.

--
The Wasteland (2021)
aka El Páramo

A Spanish pseudo-horror that's marketed as a monster movie. It looks good, but that's about the extent of my praise. The film is dull and thinks way too highly of itself. With all the invincibility and geniuses of youth and debut director, it boldly walks the well-trodden paths always taking them for the untamed wilderness.

Through the Glass Darkly (2020)

Pretty decent story about a lesbian woman who's daughter disappeared and then when another young girl goes years later missing comes under scrutiny from the local police. She is still determined to find out what happened to her daughter. Bit of a potboiler but watchable enough. Lots of flash-backery but it *does* fit in with the films story.