2013 Movie Watching Goals

Tools    

I've seen most of Hitchcock, Scorsese, Kubrick, Tarantino, Coen Brothers and Allen. But there are still some small gaps, so I will fill those.

Then I have to watch some HUGE classics I haven't seen yet. Most of them are pretty long movies, so that's why I didn't see them yet. I wasn't in the mood for them this year.
Among these are Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, My Fair Lady, West Side Story, Lawrence of Arabia, The Deer Hunter, The Godfather Part III, The Best Years of our lifes, ... (I'm really ashamed I haven't seen any of these yet)

I also have to watch some classic film noirs/westerns/horor movies/etc.

After that i want to explore more foreign movies from directors like Felinni (already seen 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita and LOVED them both!), Bergman, Tarkovsky and some other foreign classics.

And I really have to watch some good films of this year and previous years yet!

There's still plenty to discover, that's for sure!

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
I still have quite a ways to go on catching up on classic movies. Besides exploring Iranian cinema, I want to catch up so I can spend more time watching contemporary films.

Story about my mother: The Castrating Zionist
More Ozu (my goal for life), more Herzog, Murnau, and Fellini. I still have yet to see Tarkovsky, so I wanna start watching him and Kurosawa.
I just watched Murnau for the first time, and I'm hooked. Sunrise is amazing, but I loved Tabu and Tartuffe way more. Much more interesting vision. Sunrise did have a better dynamic between the characters, so I figure that's why it has the top spot in Murnau films.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
A Shortlist of movies that I would like to see this year:

Argo
Zero Dark Thirty
Django Unchained
Rocky
Gone with the Wind
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Searchers
Rio Bravo
Red River

I wanted to give a quick update on where I am, in terms of my movie-watching goals. One of them was early-Scorsese.

For pre-Goodfellas Scorsese, I'm sure I'm not covering any new ground when I say you should definitely check out Taxi Driver and Raging Bull for a start; I love the former and am a little indifferent to the latter but they may hit you differently.
And that's pretty much exactly how I came out of Taxi Driver and Raging Bull, coincidentally. Taxi Driver was great. Right from the beginning, Scorsese sticks the audience with the grimy atmosphere of a New York teeming with vitality and filth. It's a brilliant movie, with great writing, acting, music, and filming. Raging Bull, I couldn't connect with on the same level. It looked great, yes, and I know it's unfair to characterize it as a sports/boxing film or a biopic, because it strives for much more than that, but I'm not a big fan of boxing films (why are there so many??) or biopics. I couldn't feel invested with the character, because while the film deftly portrays the way jealousy takes over his life, he's such a creep that any small victories for him don't resonate with me. I just want to stop having him around.

I also wanted to get deep into some other directors that I'm unfamiliar with, but first I wanted to "finish" with Fellini. I'd seen La Strada, Nights of Cabiria, 8 1/2, and Amarcord, which is a decently representative sample, but I'd been wanting to see La Dolce Vita, because it's regarded as a classic right up there with 8 1/2. Unfortunately, I didn't like 8 1/2 much, and La Dolce Vita was kind of in that same vein for me. I love the episodic nature of Nights of Cabiria, and it's one of my favorite films, but that same structure just made La Dolce Vita seem interminable for me. I get it, Italy's aristocracy is decaying and depressing. Also, sidenote, Nico's laugh? Simultaneously annoying and alluring. It annoyed me when I heard it, but then I wanted her to laugh again. I didn't know what to think, but I guess that's her whole "appeal".

How're everyone's goals going?

My movie-watching goals for 2013:

Films I haven't seen from...
- the 1930s
- the 1990s
- Sight & Sound's Directors Poll
- AFI's 100 Movies... 100 Years list

I'm also going to try and watch more foreign cinema, more silent movies and more experimental films.

We'll see how it goes.

Goals for this year:

- Finish watching ALL Kurosawa movies.
- Finishing watching the top 44 greatest feature length animated films list from the top 150 animations compiled by a poll of animators in the LAPUTA animation festival in 2003.
- Watch all the top 250 Sign and Sound poll.
- Finish watching all the more important/famous Hitchcock movies.

My goals:

Watch the remaining Bresson, Dreyer and Scorsese films I haven't seen.
Watch the remaining 56 films I haven't seen on Sight and Sound's top 250 poll.