Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
ཁ་ ནག་ ན་ ཁ་ [Lunana: A Yak in the Classroom] (2019)

Oscars 2022 Best International Film nominee.

It is about well known story when very young man naturally dreams about a life in some of the world's global cities (in this case he dreams about Sydney, Australia). Instead, life shows him that he is needed and valued in the very opposite direction - in the deepest countryside of his remote Country of origin.
A tough dilemma that is never easy to solve.

Very touching movie!

Victim of The Night
I liked it too and really enjoyed the book by Whitley Strieber. Read it first before seeing the movie but there's no reason to say one was better than the other.
I also read the book and enjoyed it. Have it around here somewhere. An old copy from back in the 80s.

TRUE ROMANCE
(1993, Scott)

"If I'm with you, then I'm with you, and I don't want anybody else."

True Romance follows Clarence and Alabama Worley (Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette), a loner and a prostitute that get married after meeting one night. But when Clarence tries to settle things with Alabama's pimp, they find themselves on the run from both the Mafia and the cops.

The film is written by Quentin Tarantino and is directed by Tony Scott, and it features both their distinctive trademarks of tense yet cleverly written dialogue, as well as excessive hyper-violence and slow motion action scenes. I found myself enjoying the Tarantino-esque bits of it more than the uber-violent excesses of Scott. The scene between Clarence and Drexl (Oldman) is incredibly tense because of the dialogue, and so is the one between Walken and Hopper. It's a pity that Tarantino and Scott had to rely on racism, though. That "punchline" from Hopper is certainly an unfortunate one.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the HOF27.

Victim of The Night
TRUE ROMANCE
(1993, Scott)

True Romance follows Clarence and Alabama Worley (Christian Slater and Patricia Arquette), a loner and a prostitute that get married after meeting one night. But when Clarence tries to settle things with Alabama's pimp, they find themselves on the run from both the Mafia and the cops.

The film is written by Quentin Tarantino and is directed by Tony Scott, and it features both their distinctive trademarks of tense yet cleverly written dialogue, as well as excessive hyper-violence and slow motion action scenes. I found myself enjoying the Tarantino-esque bits of it more than the uber-violent excesses of Scott. The scene between Clarence and Drexl (Oldman) is incredibly tense because of the dialogue, and so is the one between Walken and Hopper. It's a pity that Tarantino and Scott had to rely on racism, though. That "punchline" from Hopper is certainly an unfortunate one.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot and the HOF27.
Hmmm... I didn't get the same feeling as you about the Walken/Hopper punchline. It seemed to me that it was clear Hopper only said it because he knew it would get under Walken's skin and it works in the sense that you can imagine how Walken's character would react to that if
WARNING: "very spoilery" spoilers below
he didn't already know he was gonna kill Hopper.

So it worked for me in the sense that it seemed very much like something that those two particular characters would say to each other.

Hmmm... I didn't get the same feeling as you about the Walken/Hopper punchline. It seemed to me that it was clear Hopper only said it because he knew it would get under Walken's skin and it works in the sense that you can imagine how Walken's character would react to that if
WARNING: "very spoilery" spoilers below
he didn't already know he was gonna kill Hopper.

So it worked for me in the sense that it seemed very much like something that those two particular characters would say to each other.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, but it's still something that rubbed me the wrong way.

Cyrano (2021) This was fantastic. Peter Dinklage is excellent here and should have been nominated for an Oscar. Haley Bennett and Kelvin Harrison Jr. are both very good too. I loved the music and the singing. The screenplay is well written and the film is beautiful, moving, and captivating. Definitely one of the better films of last year. My rating is a

Cyrano (2021) This was fantastic. Peter Dinklage is excellent here and should have been nominated for an Oscar. Haley Bennett and Kelvin Harrison Jr. are both very good too. I loved the music and the singing. The screenplay is well written and the film is beautiful, moving, and captivating. Definitely one of the better films of last year. My rating is a

So thrilled to see someone else loved this movie...the movie had its problems but I think Dinklage was robbed of an Oscar nomination too, he was freaking brilliant.

The Age of Innocence, 1993

Lawyer Newland Archer (Daniel Day-Lewis) is engaged to the youthful May (Winona Ryder). But his life is spun all around when May's cousin, Ellen (Michelle Pfeiffer) arrives to the States fresh from a split--though not an official divorce--from her husband, a wealthy count. As Ellen tries to navigate her new social scene, Newland goes from sympathetic friend to aspiring lover.

This is EXACTLY the kind of literary adaptation that I love: one that keeps the spirit of the novel intact while using cinematic elements to enhance the emotion of the story.

Everything in this movie is on point. The performances, first and foremost, really sing. Da-Lewis is his usual dependable self, and Pfeiffer brings a great mix of vulnerability and steel to her role. Actually, both she and Day-Lewis are playing characters who are vulnerable-but-determined, and their performances and characters compliment each other greatly. Ryder is also solid as the seemingly naive May who always has you wondering just how much she knows of her fiance's infatuation. They are surrounded by a stable of perfect supporting roles like Richard E Grant as one of Ellen's suitors or Miriam Margolyes as Ellen's grandmother.

The look of the film is period piece gorgeous, with just enough granular detail in the costuming and set dressing.

Back when I watched Coppola's Dracula, I complained about the in-your-face nature of the cinematic elements. But this film shows a way to do such maneuvers and make it fully coherent with the story. There are some great, overt film moments, such as a shot that dives into Newland's pocket, then through a nesting-doll-like series of envelopes to show us what, finally, is inside. Later, on learning a certain piece of information, the whole room goes dark red. When Newland and Ellen speak at a theater, the camera zooms in on them and everyone around them goes dark. The choices all feel like natural extensions of the emotions of the characters, and specifically how Newland feels about everything.

It's also interesting to see how the film keeps things, very literally, PG-rated. The attraction between Newland and Ellen is confined to glances, hands touching hands, and a 30-second near makeout session. I'm not opposed to sex scenes in romances (historical or otherwise), but it does both heighten the sense of longing and center the emotions and social politics around the characters.

My only complaint is a complaint about the novel and the film. I do not care for the way that May is portrayed as being manipulative and "trapping" Newland. He is the one who actually tries to rush their marriage. And here's a thought: if you don't want someone to possibly be in your life for a long time, you should not have sexual intercourse with that person. Newland is certainly sympathetic (as is Ellen), but the nature of the story makes May the enemy--the impediment to their love. I didn't like how the film sort of rolls with this angle on her character. This is the one downside to how thoroughly the film is in Newland's corner. We're meant to cheer when he asserts that women should have the same social rights as men, and yet also nod along when he says that May is too stupid to ever emancipate herself.

A really sumptuous, well-acted period piece that is more than worth checking out.

Yeah, that thought crossed my mind, but it's still something that rubbed me the wrong way.
I think that the problem is that it's framed so much as a punchline. We, the audience, are meant to laugh along with the insult.

Yes, it's obvious that he says it to be deliberately provocative. Yes, we are meant to understand that he's playing on the other man's bias, not necessarily showing his own. But there's a sense that we are meant to find the moment funny.

If it were done as I think it was intended, the moment he uses the slur you would gasp in realization of what's happening. But somehow that isn't the beat of the moment.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12567583

Rescue Dawn - (2006)

Werner Herzog's Rescue Dawn quietly slipped by without anyone noticing in 2006, which is a shame because the film was important to him - the true life story of Dieter Dengler that he covered in a documentary that I now really want to see : Little Dieter Needs to Fly. When this was finished I realized that I'd watched this 126 minute film without once checking how long it had to go - something I've found myself doing quite a bit lately on films that go over 2 hours. It had me fully engaged and not at all aware of how long it was - it's captivating (no pun intended). Dengler was shot down over Laos during his very first mission as a U.S. Navy pilot, and finds himself among the first prisoners taken in the escalating conflict taking place in the region. What he and his fellow prisoners go through is torturous. There are great performances all round here, from Christian Bale to Steve Zahn and an emaciated Jeremy Davies - an actor who will do anything for his role. Special mention as well to Galen Yuen. We've seen the likes of all of this before - but Herzog really got down and dirty in the jungle and it's authenticity is striking, so it's well worth watching.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Did Mads do well? He's always great at playing the bad guy.
Yep. He's the chief nazi imitator. His glowering mannerisms do it right, a good Euro-villain.

The Color of Money (1986) — I really can’t say if I overall prefer this movie or The Hustler. While the first movie had a much stronger narrative through-line and was bookended by two really strong scenes, I really dug this movie’s more frenetic energy and wider (and more interesting) cast of characters. Although it could have benefitted from a few more methodically paced scenes and some of Vincent’s rebellious moments ended up being a bit repetitive, it was a strong follow-up to the earlier movie and a seemingly under-seen entry in Scorsese’s filmography.

Summertime (1955) — I checked this one out to make it an even 6/6 sweep of today’s announced entries into the Criterion Collection (the other five being Okja, Drive My Car, The Virgin Suicides, Devil in a Blue Dress and Raging Bull). And while I do quite like David Lean, and Summertime is as impeccably well-shot as pretty much anything he’s ever done, this was an incessantly dull affair in which nothing of any interest happens… ever. The central romance comes in nearly 45 minutes into the movie, leaves for a rather lengthy stretch of time, then comes back nearer the end. Mostly, it’s just Katherine Hepburn sadly walking around Venice and taking in the sights.

Beauty and the Beast (1991) — My perennial favorite Disney movie.*More impeccably detailed and gorgeously rendered than I remembered, it absolutely stands as the high water mark of the company’s 90’s Renaissance. Being the first time that I revisited it since seeing the 2017 remake, I did find myself missing the perfectly placed “Evermore” after Belle leaves the castle, as well as LeFou’s added “Mob Song” quip (“There’s a beast running wild, there’s no question, / but I fear the wrong monster’s released”), but everything from the brassy score to the intricate animation to the fun character interactions held up incredibly well.

Predator (1987) — 80’s action movies don’t always land for me, but by condensing the muscle-clad bravura to just the first act, it presented the essential guns-and-guts genre experience with none of the fat. The hard transition to outright horror is perfectly executed and smartly serves both genres (both as an action movie deconstruction and as a set-up for a uniquely gendered slasher movie).

One Shot

https://boxd.it/2LDPJD

A simple premise executed very well.

4/5
Thanks for the rec. This was impressive, and not just the action but the acting too. Except for Ryan Phillippe. He was pretty bad.

The Batman - I wanted to like this more than I did. I concur with what so many others have said that it was too long and do think there's a better movie hidden under those extra 30 to 45 minutes. I did like the fact that they tried to work the detective angle complete with the requisite legwork and knocking on doors and interviewing people. That description doesn't quite capture what they accomplished and might sound boring to some but I appreciated that they were trying something different.

That last stretch (the part after you felt the movie should have wrapped up) didn't seem to work properly. I get that The Batman had to eventually turn the corner from vigilante to heroic figure but it came off a little pat. Especially given the weight of his actions and everything they had inadvertently inspired.

The production values were certainly A+ and I couldn't spot any weak links with the casting or performances. If there's a sequel I hope Reeves returns and I hope he tightens up the script and runtime.

75/100

Saw this unexpectedly great gem on Amazon Prime. Great to see Vince Vaughn, usually a great comedian, in an exceptional dramatic role. I went in thinking it would be a slapstick family comedy, then saw the incredible cast including Nick Frost, Florence Pugh, Dwayne Johnson and even Stephen Merchant. I would highly recommend this. 4/5 starts

Yep. He's the chief nazi imitator. His glowering mannerisms do it right, a good Euro-villain.
American or European, he does a good villain. He does everything very good.

I think that the problem is that it's framed so much as a punchline. We, the audience, are meant to laugh along with the insult.

Yes, it's obvious that he says it to be deliberately provocative. Yes, we are meant to understand that he's playing on the other man's bias, not necessarily showing his own. But there's a sense that we are meant to find the moment funny.

If it were done as I think it was intended, the moment he uses the slur you would gasp in realization of what's happening. But somehow that isn't the beat of the moment.
That is a perfect way to put it.

Victim of The Night
The Color of Money (1986) — I really can’t say if I overall prefer this movie or The Hustler. While the first movie had a much stronger narrative through-line and was bookended by two really strong scenes, I really dug this movie’s more frenetic energy and wider (and more interesting) cast of characters. Although it could have benefitted from a few more methodically paced scenes and some of Vincent’s rebellious moments ended up being a bit repetitive, it was a strong follow-up to the earlier movie and a seemingly under-seen entry in Scorsese’s filmography.
This is one of my favorite Scorseses, like in the top tier with the ones everyone says are his classics. It doesn't matter to me that it's about playing pool and not about mobsters or street hustlers or sociopaths, it's just an excellently made film. It doesn't hurt that Newman gives yet another genuinely great performance.