Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (Leone, '66)

Two hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money... we're gonna have to earn it.

WARNING: spoilers below
It may be difficult, or even near impossible to believe now, but there was a time when The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly wasn't really regarded as a great movie, at least when you look at the initial critical reaction to it. And upon hearing that, some of you may wonder, "How can that be? After all, wasn't it a genre-defining classic, and one of the greatest Westerns ever made?". Well, to put it in my own words, I'd say that TGTB&TU didn't so much as define the Western in the first place, but helped to redefine the genre, after Hollywood had spent decades building the myth of a relatively sanitized, morally black-and-white vision of the American frontier. So given that background, it's no surprise that some critics were hostile to the film, as part of a larger bias against Spaghetti Westerns in general; after all, who was Sergio Leone and these other "Eyetalian" filmmakers to tear down their memory of the West from the outside, tarnishing the image of the most quintessentially American genre? However, it's precisely that kind of cultural vandalism that helped distinguish the film in the first place, allowing it to become not just one of the greatest Westerns, but also just one of the greatest movies of all time, in my humble opinion.

This is clear right from the first few seconds of the movie, as a wide shot of a vast, sun-baked desert, the kind of scenery that you could see in any number of Westerns, suddenly becomes an uncomfortably tight close-up of an ugly, sweaty man as he unexpectedly lumbers into frame, showing us the literal face of the "real" West, or at least Leone's unique vision of it, as he will continue to reenvision its familiar iconography for his own purposes here. It's an aesthetic that's both highly dynamic, and as gritty as the grain on the print itself, as the locations here are universally rough and shabby, with nary a sanitary soundstage in sight, as live flies constantly buzz around, and we see a never-ending Mount Rushmore of various sweat, grime (and occasionally blood)-covered faces in great detail, creating what is still the filthiest-looking vision of the American West I've seen on film.

This dirty feeling isn't just limited to the film's visuals, however, as it also extends to the main characters and their lack of traditional morality, with Lee Van Cleef's Angel Eyes ("The Bad") murdering multiple people, including a child, in just his first few scenes, Eli Wallach's Tuco ("The Ugly") living as a crafty, motor-mouthed Mexican bandito, wanted for at least a dozen different crimes in just as many counties, while Clint Eastwood's gunslinging Blondie (the so-called "Good") is motivated purely by personal financial gain, and only does one truly good thing the entire movie (and even that is still partly to benefit himself). A more accurate title would be The Morally Ambivalent, The Really Bad, And The Almost Just As Bad, but that's a big part of why the film has held up so well over half a century since its original release; it doesn't exist in order to justify some outdated, self-aggrandizing myth of "Manifest Destiny", but in order to present a darker, harsher portrayal of the West, one that feels more honest than many of its cleaner predecessors, regardless of how uncomfortable some may have been with that at the time.

Besides that, The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly is also exemplary for Leone's amazing overall direction of it, as it serves as a sort of culmination of his career up that point, taking the comparatively smaller scales of the previous Dollars films, and majorly upping the scope in its depiction of the mad, elaborate dash for treasure that is the central plot, both setting the stage for the director's future epics, while also serving as the all-time peak in his impressive body of work. However, while you may picture historical figures having dull, stuffy conversations in ornately decorated rooms when you think of epics, TGTB&TU is an epic that keeps its overall sense of fun from lagging, even with its 2 & 1/2+ hour runtime, as there are plenty of moments of levity, lots of colorful dialogue, and a generally playful mood, as seen in a great moment when a "Confederate" soldier brushes himself off to reveal the blue uniform beneath an accumulation of grey dust, before a sudden cut reveals our protagonists having been taken as prisoners of war in a Union Army camp.

In all honesty, this might just be the most purely entertaining movie I've ever seen, and even watching it now, twenty years after my original viewing, I found myself enjoying myself just as much as I did the first time, with so many moments here constantly bringing a faint smile upon my face, giving me the same exact sensations I felt when I was fourteen. I mean, Ennio Morricone's score by itself is fantastic, and about as iconic as movie music gets (and I'm not just talking about the "coyote yell" of the main theme, either), but how well it's used to underscore the onscreen action here? It's just glorious, glorious filmmaking all-around, resulting in an experience that's pretty much as close to perfection as movies get (hell, even the occasionally obvious English dubbing has its charm), and while the film was responsible for disregarding a lot of the myths surrounding the Old West, it replaced that with just as many of its own, creating reverberations not just throughout the rest of Eastwood's lengthy career, but the entire genre of the Western as a whole. To borrow some language from the Bible, it's the stone that the builders rejected, that ended up becoming one of the cornerstones of the modern Western, one that still stands tall, even to this day; "Go, go, amigo...".

Favorite Moment:

Final Score: 10

Death Race (1973)
aka State of Division

Directed by David Lowell Rich
Starring: Lloyd Bridges, Roy Thinnes, Eric Braeden, Doug McClure.

Reasonably obscure made for TV action drama set in North Africa during WW2. Two Allied pilots get sent on a bombing mission to destroy a minefield and come across a German tank. During the ensuing combat one of the planes is damaged and the pilot bails out. The other plane lands to rescue him but is damaged by the tank also. Although grounded the aircraft can still move and they attempt to escape across the desert, with the tank giving chase. The commander of the tank is absolutely obsessed and will not relent in the pursuit despite the reluctance of his crew.

Though fairly weak in certain areas of production it's entertaining nevertheless and has an interesting machine vs machine theme about it, similar to Duel (1971). And Lloyd Bridges as a fanatical Panzer commander is as funny as that sounds, complete with German accent!

6/10

Victim of The Night
HALLOWEEN III
SEASON OF THE WITCH

(1982, Wallace)

Halloween III: Season of the Witch follows Dan Challis (Tom Atkins), a doctor who finds himself in the middle of a deadly plot that involves a mysterious novelty company and its owner, Conal Cochran (Dan O'Herlihy). Dan doesn't know what at first, but something's going down on Halloween night, and it has nothing to do with Michael Myers.

Season of the Witch ended up being quite an effective thrill ride. Not only does it ditch the Myers storyline, but also leans more towards some scifi elements (androids) and the occult, than it does to typical slashers, and that angle is more my jam. Putting aside how ludicrous it is that a regular doctor ends up ensnared in all this mess as if he was a detective, the film does a great job of handling tension, creating atmosphere, and building tension, with some neat kills to boot.

Grade:

Full review on my Movie Loot
Needed more green robot-blood.

Day of the Dead - This was a rewatch after quite a lot of years. If you can get through the first rough moments you'll be rewarded. You know which moment I mean since it inspired a well known gif. (hint: look up) The scenes on the helicopter are also a little hinky acting wise but it settles down and turns into a solid zombie movie. Which is weird because most of the tearing and chewing and Tom Savini wonderments don't come till the end. But Romero does know how to cobble together a compelling story and this is more than the sum of it's parts. Sure it's basic but it's also strangely poignant. I've seen a buttload of undead flicks and this one is right up there with Return of the Living Dead. Someday I'll have to compile a list of the best ones but suffice it to say this and RotLD would be at or near the top.

Having said all that, I completely forgot the 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead. That reason might well be that I've never watched it but how could I forget something like that? So now I absolutely have to find it and check it out. Except that it's supposedly difficult to find streaming anywhere because of some rigamarole over distribution rights. You can find the Blu-ray or DVD on Amazon but it's a double feature with Land of the Dead. Or you can pop for the pricey Special Divimax Edition. Whatever the hell that is and no thanks.

EDIT: Okay, I watched the trailer and I've definitely never watched this. But hey, at least now I can actually start a great white whale list. From hell's heart I stab at thee 1978 version of Dawn of the Dead!

For those who aren't familiar with DotD a handful of survivors have taken refuge in an underground bunker somewhere on the Florida coast. When the movie opens there's an even dozen which consists of civilian scientists and a few remaining soldiers. Their commanding officer has died which leaves the tightly wound Captain Rhodes (Joseph Pilato) in charge. The soldiers were originally there to provide security and support for Dr. Matthew Logan (Richard Liberty) whom the soldiers have dubbed "Frankenstein" because of his gruesome experiments on the undead. His staff consists of Dr. Sarah Bowman (Lori Cardille) and Dr. Ted Fisher (John Amplas). The only other civilians are helicopter pilot John (Terry Alexander) and alcoholic radio operator Billy McDermott (Jarlath Conroy). The remaining army guys are either aggressively obnoxious or sort of background filler.

The true superstar however turns out to be "Bub" (Sherman Howard). He's undead and is Logan's pet project and his hope that the zombies have retained memories of their previous existence and can somehow be domesticated. Some of the best scenes involve Logan testing the hulking Bub with everyday belongings.

If you like zombie flicks and are a Romero fan and you somehow haven't checked this out yet you should. At the very least you'll get to hear the word "pus" used countless times as a pejorative.

85/100

That Sugar Film (2015)

I've been reading a lot about food lately, so this documentary seemed right up my alley. The science discussions were great, though not necessarily groundbreaking. The non-science parts were a bit silly...It's a bit enlightening to see the pattern continue of institutional deception after watching the Hulu series Dopesick about the Sackler family and Oxycontin.

I will say a notable part in this piece was the kid from Kentucky who wanted to get his teeth taken out and replaced with dentures. He was drinking 6+ Mountain Dews a day as a young child, and I can't help but think how many kids right now are developing and growing up in those same footsteps.

SF = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

I forgot the opening line.

By A24 - Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=61957765

Waves - (2019)

The first thing I notice about Waves is that despite being a drama, it's cinematography is out to try and impress us with dazzling pans that seem impossible along with great tracking shots and use of natural light. For those who don't like it when this calls attention to itself, you might not like this film, but soon enough the melodrama and narrative take hold, because this is a powerful film with some great performances. It's the kind of film that usually wins Best Picture at the Oscars when being nominated against more enduring and interesting movies. It's based around a family with a domineering yet well-intentioned father, a son who's a high achiever that's about to contend with multiple tragedies, a daughter who truly lives her high moral values but is often ignored and a mother slowly cutting herself off from everyone. When things go wrong they go terribly wrong, but the positivity overwhelms us in the end in spite of the agony this family will go through. I'd give this an '8' - but I can't see myself ever watching this again, it's good for one watch and ever so impressive though.

7.5/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You ready? You look ready.

Akira -

This is more of a review of the 4K transfer than the actual movie. The movie itself is brilliant and one of my favorites, but watching the 4K disc last night was an experience. Almost like watching it for the first time. The depth of detail in both the visuals and the audio was insane. One of the best 4K transfers I have ever seen.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

PALM SPRINGS
(2020, Barbakow)

"We kind of have no choice but to live. So I think your best bet is just to learn how to suffer existence."

Palm Springs follows the relationship between Nyles and Sarah (Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti), two strangers that meet at a wedding in the titular resort city only to find themselves stuck in a time-loop, endlessly repeating the same day. When the film starts, Nyles has been reliving this day for an undetermined time, but it is when Sarah accidentally gets "sucked in" that things go more or less awry.

It takes real skill to take such a niche premise (being stuck in a time-loop) that has already been done so well previously (Groundhog Day and Source Code), and still find a way to do something that feels genuine and fresh. But that's what director Max Barbakow and writer Andy Siara have done with this. Their melancholic and profound approach to the premise strikes a perfect balance between heavy and light.

Grade:

ROMERO
(1989, Duigan)

"No soldier is obliged to obey an order contrary to the Law of God. In His name and in the name of our tormented people who have suffered so much, and whose laments cry out to heaven: I implore you! I beg you! I *order* you!"

Set in the early years of the Salvadoran Civil War, Romero follows the life of Oscar Arnulfo Romero (Raúl Juliá). Despite being traditionally conservative, Romero became a very ardent and vocal critic of the military regime after being appointed archbishop, organizing peaceful protests and speaking against social injustice and violence in the country.

The film shows many of the events that led to Romero's shift, particularly the assassination of Father Rutilio Grande, a close friend of his, along with three other civilians. This, and many other human rights violations build up the anger and frustration in Romero. This is neatly portrayed by Juliá, whose performance, although a bit stagey, has the necessary emotion to convey those feelings.

Grade:

PHOTOGRAPHS OF A SCHOOL TEACHER
(2013, Hasan)

"Camera takes us closer to each other ... to the time that belongs far away. Closer to everything."

Photographs of a School Teacher is a short film from Bangladeshi filmmaker Mahde Hasan. With a runtime of roughly 7 minutes, it is comprised of a set of images and vignettes focused on his mother. Most of the images are from her youth, and Hasan's focuses on her demeanor as she examines them.

During the first minutes, the short establishes two things: first, that there is an "emotional distance" between Hasan and his mother, and second, that there's a sadness in her that wasn't there when she was young ("when I was young and used to take photos, then life was pleasurable... but now, I don't feel like that"). And although the reasons are never clearly established, you can feel the burden of time and regret in her.

The short takes its time to focus on her weary face and her wrinkled hands, as it moves through brief episodes of her life through these pictures; her sisters, her life in college, marriage. All showcasing a certain sadness about things that were and things that could've been. There's not much else to it, but it is a visually interesting short that carries significant emotion, and makes you feel "closer to each other".

Grade: