Tools    

Short hint....

WARNING: spoilers below

Get under, hide away
Don't let them get to you
Because of who you are
or what you will do

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Shaun of the Dead!?!?! Doesn't scream 2000s to me. Signs and Hangover do. Hell even Shrek. But not that goofy movie.
Totes agreed. signs really is a goofy flick.

Note: lack of cap and italics, both intentional.

Totes agreed. signs really is a goofy flick.

Note: lack of cap and italics, both intentional.
1. It's called A Goofy Movie

2. It came out in 1995, so it doesn't even qualify for this countdown. You guys need to get your facts straight!

Lol, I just thought the same thing about my #5. I guess I just forgot to place that one when I was arranging the list. Because it's definitely not top 5- worthy. Also my 2 & 3 have no shot at this point. My top 5 is a mess.
*high five, only that high five where you both somehow miss the other person's hand and then you're too embarrassed to try again*

I think that if my #4, 6, or 7 were going to show up, they'd have done so by now. I think that both are pretty underseen, so I'm not surprised but a little sad. I have some stragglers in the teens and twenties that almost definitely won't make it.

I like both Signs and The Village but prefer Signs because there's more Joaquin. Also he doesn't often do comedic roles. Didn't vote for either of them though.
I liked him in The Village, but I thought that the writing of his character in Signs was kind of weak. He has so many strengths as an actor and it felt like Signs didn't capitalize on them at all.

Shaun of the Dead and The Departed both held strong on my list at second and sixth place, respectively. Both are movies I default to when I can't decide on anything to watch, and both keep me entertained no matter how many views I sit through.

For me, Shaun is just a great balance of all things I find fun in a movie and I'm excited to know it made it so high in the global ranks here.

As to The Departed, I can't enter the conversation of what film is Scorsese's best, but I will confess this is the one I watch more than all the others. I admit that's strictly for entertainment value but, really, that's how I generally rank my favorite movies. There were only two things that kept this one from climbing higher in my list: as a group, the top five that I ranked higher and Vera Farmiga's acting.

You got a bit of red on you. Yeah, it's ...krin-bury juice. *Smashes glass mug into your face*

I'm curious for those who enjoy The Departed, had you seen Infernal Affairs?

Having seen the story already and in a more fun way really dinged the experience for me.

Having seen the story already and in a more fun way really dinged the experience for me.
I still haven't seen Infernal Affairs, but have been meaning to remedy that.

I have not. I remember waves of emotion and doubt in myself learning of it's "remake." I felt betrayed. Sorta. But I was already a fan, I think*.

I love that Nicholson was only in the shadows throughout the pre-title scenes. I loved that so much was established before the title card was shown. I love the edits and abrupt cuts in soundtrack cues. Its humor is dark and funny in self awareness but also absolutely reasonable to hear, coming from these characters. I can see Nicholson or Costello pulling out a plastic bag, the contents of which is a severed hand, in the middle of dinner without drawing attention to it or anyone bothering to notice it with the exception of Costigan and the audience. Makes sense in that world!

It's just a nutty, exciting movie. I don't think an original would sway me from that opinion had I seen it first, except maybe for some line of principal in offense that it was a remake. But I don't think that would have taken away my enjoyment.

*Like others have posted, I do believe this is a movie that had to grow on me over time. I really can't remember. I'm sure I hated it on first viewing, knowing how I usually do most first views.

The trick is not minding

Honestly I haven’t, although I’ve k own about the The Departed being a remake of it upon release, I just hadn’t gotten around to it. That being said, regardless if Infernal Affairs is better, I don’t feel that should detract from The Departed value on that basis alone.

If we’re going to ding Departed, let’s do it for the overacting and the clumsy dialogue haha.

*high five, only that high five where you both somehow miss the other person's hand and then you're too embarrassed to try again*

I think that if my #4, 6, or 7 were going to show up, they'd have done so by now. I think that both are pretty underseen, so I'm not surprised but a little sad. I have some stragglers in the teens and twenties that almost definitely won't make it.
When Oldboy showed up the other day I thought, "oh, that's a good one; I should've voted for it". Turns out it was my #13. Was I even awake when I submitted this thing?

And yeah, I'm not ashamed of my 2 & 3, they're there for a reason. But it's clear now that they're completely inconsequential as far as this countdown is concerned.

No. Still haven't seen it, actually.

When we started this, I was absolutely sure that all of my top 5 were going to place. Sadly, that doesn't appear to be the case. My number 4 isn't going to show. Heartbreaking.

Short hint....

Get under, hide away
Because of who you are
or what you will do

Is ..."short" part of the hint?

Short hint....

Get under, hide away
Because of who you are
or what you will do
Way to early and hope I’m wrong… “Pan’s Labyrinth”.

Way to early and hope I’m wrong… “Pan’s Labyrinth”.

Had similar vibes. Not sure those hints really apply tho. Maybe if there was a reference to grrrrribit gapes

I've seen both and found Scorsese's version substantially better directed and more engaging across the board. If anything, I like the extent to which he's able to make it a Scorsese movie despite working off of preexisting material.

I've seen both and found Scorsese's version substantially better directed and more engaging across the board. If anything, I like the extent to which he's able to make it a Scorsese movie despite working off of preexisting material.

Aaaaawh snap!
Shots fired! Gauntlet DOWN!!!! A frou frou white glove across the cheek!!? TWO USERS ENTER; ONE USER LEAVES!!! Ton Ton, play us out. Something lively!!

Aaaaawh snap!
Shots fired! Gauntlet DOWN!!!! A frou frou white glove across the cheek!!? TWO USERS ENTER; ONE USER LEAVES!!! Ton Ton, play us out. Something lively!!
We'll see if Tak can beat my tried and true strategy of crying and peeing my pants.

I've seen both and The Departed is better. Infernal Affairs is good but more bland.

I haven't seen Infernal Affairs yet but the reason I love The Departed has little to do with the story. It's the characters and dialogue.