A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

I was obsessed with it last summer.
Can I goad you into spilling some words about your feelings? (About the movie, preferably.)

Victim of The Night
I think one of you recommended the short film Possibly in Michigan a while back? Well, I watched that and Beneath the Skin from the same director (Cecilia Condit, who posted these and some of her other short films on her YouTube channel) and would highly recommend both.

Possibly in Michigan is more or less a horror movie, but one which uses trite commercial aesthetics to comment on society's treatment of women (somebody smarter than me can better parse how it navigates the subjects of misogynist violence and the way society pressures women into domesticity and docility). It's eerie enough on its own, but gets a hell of a lot creepier when you realize it's a response to Condit's own experience of having unknowingly lived with a murderer, which she chronicles in Beneath the Skin, which has a visual style somewhat reminiscent of the video from The Ring.
Yeah, I was a fan and sent it around to some friends who also liked it.

The trick is not minding
4 films I can never find streaming online:

The Hourglass Sanatorium
Fascination
Martin
The Shout

I would die a happy man if I could ever watch these.

4 films I can never find streaming online:

The Hourglass Sanatorium
Fascination
Martin
The Shout

I would die a happy man if I could ever watch these.
I watched The Shout on Prime(?) a short while back. If you're willing to do a free trial of Paramount you could watch it there. (It's also on YouTube in a nice print, watch it now before it disappears!)

I know it's not free, but you could rent Fascination on Kino. This is the rare film where I'll say it's totally worth it.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have this - The Hourglass Sanatorium. I can send you my info - I have a lifetime membership, or you can buy your own.

The trick is not minding
I watched The Shout on Prime(?) a short while back. If you're willing to do a free trial of Paramount you could watch it there. (It's also on YouTube in a nice print, watch it now before it disappears!)

I know it's not free, but you could rent Fascination on Kino. This is the rare film where I'll say it's totally worth it.
I don’t recall seeing The Shout on Prime, unless it somehow flew under my radar. In which case I’m going to be rather unhappy with myself. 🤨

The trick is not minding
I have this - The Hourglass Sanatorium. I can send you my info - I have a lifetime membership, or you can buy your own.
I may take you up on this soon enough. Definitely will keep it in mind.

I don’t recall seeing The Shout on Prime, unless it somehow flew under my radar. In which case I’m going to be rather unhappy with myself. 🤨
This was maybe last year? Again, though, it's on YouTube!

I avoid YouTube if I can.
Prefer to not watch it on my laptop.
Gotcha. I have a Roku, so I watch YouTube on my TV. You can also, with an HDMI, cast your laptop screen onto your TV pretty easily.

I’ve been playing Hide the Soul with the new Chucky series. Only three episodes in so far. The scenes that are meant to be scary, gruesome or funny work like gangbusters. It’s the stuff in between that’s the problem: spotty acting and low energy tone when Chucky isn’t in the scene can make it a slog. Hopefully it picks up.

Has anyone here seen Doctor X (1932)? The whodunit plot is kinda whatever, but it has some great two-strip Technicolor cinematography, and a climax that delivers the goods. Worth catching on the Criterion Channel before it leaves at the end of the month.

Has anyone here seen Doctor X (1932)?
A favorite of mine, even if it's the lesser of the two Curtiz horrors in color.
I didn't know it was on the CC. A restored Blu-ray was released last year, I wonder if it's the same print.

ps- there's a sequel starring Bogie

Has anyone here seen Doctor X (1932)? The whodunit plot is kinda whatever, but it has some great two-strip Technicolor cinematography, and a climax that delivers the goods. Worth catching on the Criterion Channel before it leaves at the end of the month.

Wow, that's from 1932? Holy shit.

Doctor X has a lot of cool bits (especially some of the makeup) and the technicolor looks awesome, but the tonal shifts between the horror material and the wacky intrepid reporter don't work too well. Definitely worth a watch though, especially at a brisk 75 or so minutes.

the technicolor looks awesome
Yeah, my #1 interest is the eye candy. That early color process gave everything a weird greenish tint that suits the material well. I'd like to see what Whale's Frankenstein would've looked like, or Werewolf of London, etc.