The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Seen Juno a long time ago. It was okay as far as I remember, but I didn’t love it the way the hype told me I should.

Almost Famous I’ve been wanting to see but haven’t yet.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Almost Famous is funny, especially if you're familiar with the history of Rolling Stone. Love the soundtrack and the Golden God scene.

I never found Juno unrealistic. I just thought some of the early scenes were more "lived in" by the characters (although we didn't understand them yet) than the later scenes where you already understood the characters' actions better. These "early" scenes did initially come across as "a bit smug", but the more you watch the film, the more naturalistic and funny the characters and the film seems.

Neither made my list.

I've seen Almost Famous and Juno and didn't really care for either.

I really liked Juno, there I said it! I'm glad but surprised it made the list.
I haven't seen Juno since it came out, so I don't know if I'd have the same enthusiasm today but back when it came out it felt fresh. Way fresher than the assembly line block buster stuff Hollywood was churning out.

Almost Famous
, I really dug this movie as it puts the viewer right in the lead character's shoes and at a very interesting time in rock music. Another one I haven't seen in a decade or more, and then only once.

Neither got a vote from me, but I'm glad to see them make the countdown

I feel the same way too. The Juno thing felt pretty obvious and while nobody will believe me Almost Famous crossed my mind and I haven't even seen the movie.

More importantly, the hint certainly eliminates certain films from appearing. I'd rather go back to the hint free reveals.
I might try something different tonight. See how it works.

Critics

Critics on our #90, Almost Famous...

It currently has a 89% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.9/10 score on IMDb (with 267,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"Oh, what a lovely film. I was almost hugging myself while I watched it. "Almost Famous" is funny and touching in so many different ways."
Meanwhile Ed Gonzalez, of Slant, gave it ★★ and said:
"A film of this nature always hinges on some sort of tragic and/or cathartic drug- or alcohol-related hysteria, but whenever it comes it feels like an Afterschool Special. Almost Famous doesn’t go down that road, choosing always to stay blissful, which feels almost equally wrong and just as much a show of denial."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @meatwadsprite said:
"This movie is busting at the seams with information, characters, emotions, music, and images. You are forced into it's train of thought and your opinions of the characters will change consistently: Almost Famous is a very well done film."

Critics

Critics on our #89, Juno...

It currently has a 94% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.4/10 score on IMDb (with 506,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"Jason Reitman's "Juno" is just about the best movie of the year. It is very smart, very funny and very touching; it begins with the pacing of a screwball comedy and ends as a portrait of characters we have come to love. Strange, how during Juno's hip dialogue and cocky bravado, we begin to understand the young woman inside, and we want to hug her."
Meanwhile Nick Schager, of Lessons of Darkness, gave it a C- and said:
"Far less funny and shrewd than Knocked Up, the year’s other comedic tale of unplanned pregnancy, Juno pretends to care about real-world situations but is really interested only in its own trendier-than-thou cleverness, an obnoxious fantasy vision of teendom slathered in self-satisfied snark."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @TheUsualSuspect said:
"Juno is this years "Little Miss Sunshine". Full of heart and charm and will entertain you to no end. It has a great soundtrack to boot. The music fits the film perfectly with mood and story. When 2007 saw pirates, ogres and superheroes flying around, all it took was a 16 year old girl to win our hearts and our attention."
And @Inconceivable said:
"This had a lot of good stuff going for it, such as the humour, I found myself laughing out loud for the most part, even though it's pretty hard to get that out of me. I really enjoyed the characters and their persona, like I said before they literally were a bunch of characters, and it's pretty funny and entertaining to watch them behave. The screenplay is what made this film so enjoyable so I gotta give the writers and the director a pat on the back for that."

I might try something different tonight. See how it works.
*crosses fingers* clues via interpretive dance, clues via interpretive dance, clues via interpretive dance *crosses fingers*

This next film is very much

*crosses fingers* clues via interpretive dance, clues via interpretive dance, clues via interpretive dance *crosses fingers*

Juno might have had the fastest cultural drop off I think I've ever seen lol. Surprised to see it on the list as a result but its a pretty alright film. Mostly carried by having Kimya Dawson in the soundtrack. Never seen Almost Famous, doesn't really look like my kinda jam. Think I've seen 5 of the films so far.

I'll guess The School Of Rock?

I think it'll be more like
NCfOM? It's clearly Kung Fu Panda imo.