PeterVincent's Doctor Who Reviews

Tools    

This is the end of Doctor Who, for me. I didn't like Tennant before he became the Doctor and nothing changed afterwards. I tried to watch a few, and I quite enjoyed the werewolf one in Victorian England, but I can't be doing with his swivel-eyed antics, horrific gurning and stupid scrawny legs.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
This is the end of Doctor Who, for me. I didn't like Tennant before he became the Doctor and nothing changed afterwards. I tried to watch a few, and I quite enjoyed the werewolf one in Victorian England, but I can't be doing with his swivel-eyed antics, horrific gurning and stupid scrawny legs.
Awwww.

The Age Of David Tennant (2005-2009)

The Christmas Invasion

'Look at these people: these human beings. Consider their potential. From the day they arrive on the planet, and blinking step into the sun. There is more to see than can ever be seen. More to do than - no, hold on... Sorry, that's the Lion King. But the point still stands.'
- The Doctor

There comes a time in your life when you see someone special, when you begin a bizarre romance with them, journey with them, understand them, love them, fear them, cheer with them, cry with them...and David Tennant, as a healthy boy growing up, was the man for me.

Whilst the Tenth Doctor surely isn't as serious as Christopher Eccelston's or even Peter Davison's (to start with at least), he does have his moments, and The Christmas Invasion is strategically set up to make sure you hate Tennant until the last ten minutes.

What I mean to say is, that head-writer RTD specially crafted to episode to match the general feelings around David Tennant's casting. So, The Doctor gets taken out of 72% of the episode whilst Rose & the gang struggle against an alien invasion and say lines such as:

'The Doctor wouldn't do this. The old Doctor— the proper Doctor. He'd wake up, he'd save us.'

See? RTD is very crafty. But finally, at the pinnacle of the climax, The Doctor enters and explodes expectations (well, mine at least...), zazzing his way through the remainder of the episode and having a pretty cool sword fight if you ask me.

Overall the episode does have problems, the lack of The Doctor isn't appreciated, although it's effective, and sometimes the green-screen gets a bit dodgy, but oh well, one can figure those things.

New Earth

'Goodness me, I'm a man. Yum. So many parts. And hardly used. Ah, ah! Two hearts! Oh baby, I'm beating out a samba!'
- Cassandra

I like to imagine that head-writer and writer of this episode, RTD sat upon his throne and stroked his chin, 'ummming' and 'ahhhing' about how to send our fresh new Doctor on his first big solo outing, his first adventure, his first venture into time and space, he's been established, now lets go!

Sadly, RTD mustn't have thought a completely fresh story with fresh characters would be good for Tennant, so for some sad reason he decided to bring back a forgettable villain and a forgotten (at the time, I guess) side character, and made a so-so story with some so-so moments.

I don't hate New Earth, but, with that said, I don't really like it all that much either. The villain is lame, although the body-swapping element is a nice comedic touch, and a way to save money. The plot is basic and predictable, whilst our heroes are understandable with good motivations, it's just their surroundings that suck.

I don't really want to talk about this one anymore...

But to my recollection the ending made me cry on my first viewing.

Tooth & Claw

'I wanted to hear her say, "We are not amused." Bet you five quid I can get her to say it.'
- Rose

Ask an actor to do a Scottish accent and he'll be happy for a day, hire a Scottish actor to hide his accent and only use it in one episode ever, and audience's ears will be happy, although personally I find the Scottish accent very sexy.

So, here wer are at Tennant's third adventure, which is also his first adventure set in the past and his first adventure to feature an encounter with a historical figure. Other than that...there isn't a lot of 'meat' here.

The werewolf aspect of the episode is fascinating. The Doctor has a great moment in which he gasps in awe of the creature, whilst Rose does a similar thing later on. The special effects for the creature range from decent to dodgy, but that is the norm for some of Series 2's adventures.

Tennant seems to be having the time of his life, showing off his accent in the beginning and then revealing a few dramatic skills towards the climax. The writing is average, whilst the episode's mystery is difficult to pick up on any viewing mainly because it's not incredibly important and layered in about 47 pounds of sub-plot

Overall, Tooth & Claw is a fairly average Doctor Who adventure that benefits from some good direction (especially in the intro, despite it clearly taking inspiration from The Matrix) and great character moments from The Doctor and Rose.

School Reunion

'No. The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it's a world, or a relationship... Everything has its time. And everything ends.'
- Sarah Jane Smith

Up until School Reunion, the new Doctor Who had never truly acknowledged the proper existence of the classic series, other than a few nods and winks. So who better than Sarah Jane Smith, one of the most beloved companions of all time (and a hot contender for my favourite, alongside Ace), to finally make the Dalekanium bridge between new and classic Who.

But School Reunion does not just bring back Sarah Jane, oh no, the world's most beloved tin dog is back too, K9. Fun bit of trivia for you: This means that the incredibly short lived series (1 episode), K9 & Company is somewhat part of the Doctor Who canon.

Returning these characters to the show could have potentially meant the total destruction of new Who as we know it, however, the episode is lovely, nostalgic and slightly heartwarming.

The episode follows The Doctor & Rose as they investigate a mysterious school that boasts students with impossible IQ's, and sure enough, wizz journalist Sarah Jane is on the job too!

Whilst the episode has a few problems, such as the bizarre lack of Anthony Head and some minor pacing issue, there is plenty to love. The sadly recently departed Elizabeth Sladen is phenomenal here in her return, if you were a fan of her in the Jon Pertwee & Tom Baker years, then this episode will surely warm and break your heart. The other strength is, strangely, K9, especially in the peak of the climax, in which I swear that you will never-ever get this upset over a robot ever again.

Overall the emotional impact of School Reunion is worth watching enough, especially if you are a classic Doctor Who fan.

I think this was the last Tennant episode I saw. After this I think I saw one or two Matt Smith episodes and that was it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but are you aware of The Sarah Jane Adventures?

I think this was the last Tennant episode I saw. After this I think I saw one or two Matt Smith episodes and that was it.

I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but are you aware of The Sarah Jane Adventures?
It does get better once the footing is found,

& yes, I was very much into the first season, but I got about halfway into the second season and decided it wasn't my cup of tea, although I do watch the episode's that guest star The Doctor whenever they come on.

The Girl In The Fireplace

King Louis: What the hell is going on?
Reinette Poisson: Oh. This is my lover, the king of France.
The Doctor: Yeah? Well I'm the Lord of Time.

Creativity was something incredibly common in the days of Tom Baker, Sylvester McCoy & the future days of Matt Smith, and it is also something that I love, so when Tennant's era boasts a unique and creative plot, along with my favourite characters, there is nothing I can do to resist.

The Doctor, Rose & Mickey find themselves onboard a ship operate by clockwork and other bizarre mechanisms, and on that ship they also find time links to the life of a French princess. When The Doctor uncovers a plot to kill the princess, he embarks on a quest throughout time to stop it, of course.

The episode boasts inventive robots, a great little romance story, some inventive action sequences and a scene with a horse to end all others.

If I had to complain about one thing in particular, is that some of The Doctor's decisions are strange and non-believeable, whilst the romance seems forced at times, although cute.

Overall, The Girl In The Fireplace is a creative bash, with an overwhelming amount of imagination and production design (especially in the costumes and robots), it is very difficult to not love.

Rise Of The Cybermen / The Age Of Steel

'Nothing wrong with a van. I once saved the universe with a big yellow truck.'
- Mickey Smith

Returning yet another iconic villain to Doctor Who's revamped series is a risky move, especially since the return of The Daleks were such a lucky hit, when so much could have gone wrong. So when The Cybermen returned to Doctor Who, one can't help but feel a little nervous, especially since their last appearance was...troubled...to say the least in the Sylvester McCoy adventure Silver Nemesis.

The return of The Cybermen sees The Doctor, Rose & Mickey trapped in a parallel universe, a universe that is about to change forever when genius-billionare John Lumic decides to 'upgrade' the human race in the hope of saving himself from a terminal illness.

The strengths of the two episodes vary from performances (Billie Piper, Noel Clark) to the incredibly exciting action sequences. One piece, for example, that sees The Doctor and co. trapped inside a mansion being invaded by Cybermen, is incredibly tense and incredibly exciting. The climax is also a highlight, but I won't spoil that.

The problems that the double-episode has, is primarily due to the dodgy sets, some questionable special effects and an unravelling plot that expects you to not know what's behind everything and what's coming, despite the episode's title.

Overall, the Cybermen's return is exciting and strangely cinematic, but it has some problems that one can't help but feel were due to budget restrictions.

The Idiots Lantern

'Men in black? Vanishing police cars? This is Churchill's England, not Stalin's Russia!'
- The Doctor

There comes a time in every season where one must sigh, rub their eyes and sit through an episode in which every twist and turn was predicted from simply reading the plot synopsis, The Idiot's Lantern is one of those episodes.

The Doctor & Rose travel back to the groovy 50's, but something is wrong, the television is going too cheap! and something wrong with the people that watch these cheap televisions! (Or something along those lines).

The only notable positives about the episode is the chemistry between The Doctor & Rose and the nice little character touch of having the characters dress up to match the 50's setting that they have travelled to.

The negatives, of course, are overwhelming. The villain is generic, the dialogue is bland, the mystery is boring, and as previously said, almost every plot point and twist can be predicted.

Overall...The Idiot's Lantern sucks.

The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

Where did the series' budget go? Here, in the Cybermen episodes and in the finale. Where does the budget show the most? Here.

What superb writing, what great mythology, what interesting characters and situations and oh boy, what memorable monsters and scenes.

How often do you get to see The Doctor (and I mean THE DOCTOR, because when this episode aired I had finally made my decision. David Tennant is my favourite Doctor) taunt Satan, how often does that happen? I tell you, the only one to have came close to this wasJon Pertwee squaring off against Sea Devils.

But we all know why this episode goes down in history...

Billie Piper's post-mortem one liner.

Series 8...So far

Deep Breath

It's out with the new and in with the old in Peter Capaldi's debut episode, Deep Breath. Whilst I haven't haven begun to voice my opinion on Matt Smith's Era on this crummy little thread, I can simply say I was very back-and-forth for most of his run and a 'breath' of fresh air is certainly what the show needed about now. Enter Peter Capaldi. The old Scot famous for swearing his way to television success (though if we're mentioning The Thick of It, my favourite character is actually Glen Cullen) is also proving to be one of the most memorable and unique Doctors.

The episode starts off with a lot of mystery and intrigue, we see a pretty impressive Dinosaur, Capaldi stammer out some goofy and confused dialogue and we're surrounded by the familiar faces of Vastra, Jenny, Strax and Clara to help ease us through what is arguably a huge change, specifically in tone.

The plot is reasonably basic, there's a robot that's harvesting organs and tissue to sustain itself forever and The Doctor has to stop him, if he can pull himself together. The actor who plays the robotic villain is actually rather good, though I cannot remember his name right now, and he certainly brings a lot to the feel of the episode. The show is mostly stolen by Capaldi, although much like Tennant's introduction they keep him in the background until the end.

Positives for this episode are mostly the direction (Ben Wheatley) and Capaldi's performance. There's a lot of witty dialogue and a genuine mystery beginning to form around why he has such a familiar face, and it really adds to the episode. Along with that, there's a gag with Stax and a newspaper that I laughed pretty hard at when I first saw it at 4:50 am.

Negatives for this one reside mostly in pacing, the overall conclusion and that they really try to sell him as the mean guy way too much. It's similar to Tom Baker's Robot, which was also a rocky debut but sold the different character rather than the show, and luckily further episode ease out this sudden smack of cruelty.

Overall, Deep Breath is a strong start to a potentially great series

Into The Dalek

The second episode in a series is always tricky to do and personally I don't think they've made a perfect one since the revival just yet. Into The Dalek is a good episode, however, despite the fact that it feels like it should be one that's more suited for the middle of the series.

The plot is mostly about The Doctor and co. shrinking themselves down to enter a damaged Dalek that believes it is good. Naturally, The Doctor is suspicious and wants to ensure that there is no way The Dalek's can ever be good, because how can they be?

Positives for this episode are mostly around its climax and finale, as most of the themes hinted at or set up in the beginning come back near the end for a pretty decent emotional payoff. The effects are pretty most of the time, and you can spot a few references to a similar episode from the classic series The Invisible Enemy. Capaldi's also pretty great, though he's more interesting when he's alone than when he is with Clara.

Yet again pace is a negative, it's all very clunky. Along with that the similarities to 2005's Dalek are incredibly apparent. Danny Pink is also drier than dirt.

Overall, Into The Dalek is a pretty good episode, but it feels like it's in the wrong place and some of it is way too familiar for investment. Still cool, though.

Robot of Sherwood

This one got a weird amount of hate last week when it aired...I think that's weird.

Robot of Sherwood is fast, easy to follow and has a lot going for it. The entire cast really shine, specifically the guest stars and supports, and the whole episode has a rather beautiful look to it.

I guess some issues occur around the plot, which follows our protagonists as they meet Robin Hood, of whom our Doctor believes is not real. Soon they uncover a sinister plot the Sheriff of Nottingham has devised which could potentially destroy the world. It's all very silly, but it is largely easy to follow and it's nice to go to the past and have it not be London in the 1800's.

My personal negatives would only be a very noticeable greenscreen during the dungeon scene and the fact that Capaldi's left with not much to do about halfway through.

Other than that, I think that Robot of Sherwood is a perfectly fun episode that I've watched a few times since it aired last week. Sure, the resolution is confusing, but it's all so well-put-together, who can deny its charms?

Listen

Sigh.

It has potential, mainly in its initial premise and themes. But the inclusion of more Danny Pink focus and the overall end 25 minutes just takes a great premise and drops it on it's head.

The positives? Uh. I can't really mention the plot because that's the main mystery of the episode, but there's a scene under a bed that's pretty tense and an archive-footage cameo is nice.

The negatives? Everything else falls flat. The resolution is confusing and groan worthy, the plot goes from decent to dull incredibly fast and even Clara begins to feel stale as she repeats lines you swear you've heard her say in other episodes.

Unless you're dying to watch it, you can skip this one.

Thanks honeykid, I'm here and then I'm there. I'll at least attempt to keep posting in this thread for the remainder of Series 8.

I watched the last couple of episodes kind of as my mum watches them all properly, and I was reminded why I don't watch it properly any more. It's such a frustrating show that makes up rules as it goes along, there is no structures or rules in place, the Doctor thinks of something random in his head and gets the Tardis to do whatever he wants, there is no consistency or whatever, the plot just comes up out of thin air and doesn't make much sense. It just keeps throwing twist after twist to confuse us and there is no way to work out half of the stuff, at least from what I can see.

I noticed you watched some Doctor Who Mark, or at least the episodes Wheatley directed. I saw the Dalek one, that was okay, you could certainly tell in some parts that it was him behind the camera. I thought the whole storyline about a good Dalek was a bit silly, and it just seemed like an excuse to revisit the Daleks with a new doctor, they could have done a bit more if they wanted to do so.

Series 8...So far

Time Heist

Now that's an odd direction.

We continue Series 8 of Doctor Who with Time Heist this week and let's just say after a fairly strong start this series is beginning to see a few duds and issues. Whilst this weeks story is probably not as strong as last weeks, its strengths lie mainly in its style and the desire to unravel a fairly intriguing mystery (much like last week's Listen). Unfortunately, this and Listen share the same disappointing and somewhat overly complex ending that crumbles the cookie into your late night tea.

The plot is difficult to explain, so to keep it simple lets just say The Doctor, Clara and a small team of hired misfits have to break into the universes most secure bank and the catch is that they are all suffering from a temporary memory wipe....but why?

This week the strengths lay mainly with Capaldi getting the chance to go a little more over-the-top and come centre-stage after a lot of Clara focus last week. Other than that element the shining star this weeks is certainly the monster of the episode, an alien of incredible detail and fascinating production design and I couldn't help but be genuinely creeped out by this thing...and scared a couple of times when I got invested in what the other characters were doing.

The episodes weaknesses outweigh this though. The direction is way too energetic in the wrong areas and some angles are awkward to look at, along with the way the introduction is paced and shot. Following that up is an iffy script, with the disappointing finale, the confusing start-up and the terrible supporting characters, who try their best but either have terrible dialogue/delivery or just aren't there enough to make a memorable impact.

Overall Time Heist falls flat into the category of those episodes I'll probably only watch if I hit 'Play All' on the DVD release and can't be bothered getting up. It has a fairly decent premise but bad delivery, some performances are good, but others I can't even recall and even though the design is brilliant, it seems a waste to not bring the other elements up to that standard.

Series 8...So far

The Caretaker

FINALLY!!!

Peter Capaldi IS The Doctor. At long last the series has found its perfect balance between tone, wit and Capaldi's harsh demeanour. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

At last, an episode so enjoyable that it had me laughing and invested in every single moment, be it corny or action packed or even heartfelt (I still hate Danny Pink).
At last, an episode where I couldn't care less about the weak villain, because the focus is intended to be completely on the protagonists and the development towards the meeting of The Doctor and Danny.
At lasy, an episode that made me wanna buy the cosplay.

The plot? Well to put it simply, The Doctor goes undercover as a school janitor to stop an alien death machine from potentially killing hundreds of innocent people. What makes it any different from 2006's School Reunion? Well, for starters, Capaldi is one harsh yet funny Doctor, and a lot of the episode is him playing off the attitudes of others.

All the positives lay on Capaldi and the constant pace. Not once did I get bored or want it to be over, I only wanted it to keep going more and more because I was having a ball. Along with that the direction is handled very well and the effects are kept to a nice minimum throughout most of it.

Negatives? Uh...still Danny Pink. But other than that, nothing too extreme or noticeable other than the odd convenience and a scene or two that looks like it's been cut and is missing some beef.

Overall, The Caretaker is fast and a lot of fun and easily my favourite episode of the series so far to put it lightly.