Greatest acting performance not to receive an Oscar nomination

Tools    

Al Pacino:
Carlito's Way (At times menacing, other times heartbreakingly tender. As much as I love him in Scent Of A Woman, he deserved the Oscar for Carlito's Way even more)

Jack Nicholson:
The Crossing Guard (I feel like this performance gets WAY overlooked. He was utterly spellbinding in this role)

Elisha Cuthbert:
The Girl Next Door (She plays one of the most captivating love interests I've ever seen. I know it's just a light romantic comedy, but her presence made it stand out as something worth a look. And I don't just mean in terms of, uuh... physics.)

Ida Lupino:
They Drive By Night (Watched this movie for Bogart, Lupino ended up making the biggest impression on me. She's brilliant in it!)

Vincent Price:
The Last Man On Earth (The most sensitive and heartfelt performance of his career)

Orson Welles:
The Stranger (One of the scariest depictions of a nazi on film)

Kiefer Sutherland:
Eye For An Eye (Speaking of scary... yikes. Sutherland plays an utterly sickening serial killer/rapist masterfully.)

Sidney Poitier:
Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (The only award that seemed to notice him at all was Fotogramas de Plata)

Cary Grant and Eva Marie Saint should both have gotten some attention for North By Northwest.

Elisha Cuthbert was great in The Girl Next Door, but Oscar-worthy? The only performance that came close toOscar-worthy in that movie came from Timothy Olyphant. As for Carlito's Way, I thought Sean Penn was more Oscar worthy than Pacino.

I recently enjoyed [Straight Time], but Straw Dogs is better. So many good movies around in the very early seventies according to your lists.
For your taste. I am a Peckinpah nut and I rate Straw Dogs in the middle of the pack in his filmography.

But to each their own. The '70s were certainly a rich time, no doubt about that.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

For your taste. I am a Peckinpah nut and I rate Straw Dogs in the middle of the pack in his filmography.
No doubt you’re right. I wasn’t rating Peckinpah’s movies per se: not sure I’ve even seen another of his movies.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You really don't want people to think the quote in your signature is unearned, huh?
So you're on the side of a violent abuser like Amber Heard?

In addition to those already mentioned in the opening post, a few off the top of my head, of actors who have been overlooked for performances that fully deserved recognition but were not even nominated,over the past 30-odd years.,,

Not including actors who have been previously or subsequently won an Oscar. as we all know the Academy has a habit of handing out Oscars for performances etc, as career recognition, such as Al Pacino for Scent of a Woman or more recently, Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant,when they were deserved for works prior.

Bruno Ganz - Downfall
David Thewlis - Naked
Sally Hawkins - Happy Go Lucky
David Oyelowo - Selma
Bjork - Dancer in the Dark
Gugu Mbatha-Raw - Belle
Taraji P Henson - Hidden Figures
Naomi Watts- Mulholland Drive
Big second to Henson in Hidden Figures. The finest work of her career and the best thing about the movie.

The truth is in here
Elisha Cuthbert was great in The Girl Next Door, but Oscar-worthy? The only performance that came close to Oscar-worthy in that movie came from Timothy Olyphant. As for Carlito's Way, I thought Sean Penn was more Oscar worthy than Pacino.
Yeah. Elisha's one of my favorite actors, I always think she's been underappreciated. I think in this movie there was no one else who better could've given her character this pixie-like, endearing quality which gives her depth beyond just being a sex symbol. I'm glad you liked her though.

Sean Penn was fantastic in Carlito's Way as well. I definitely would've been happy to see him get a supporting actor nomination. However, I think Pacino's dedication is unbeatable. He really takes you through a rollercoaster of emotions, and depicts all of Carlito's good and bad sides in such a multifaceted manner that after a while you're just watching the extremely sad and turbulent life of Carlito Brigande, not Pacino. It's not only my favorite performance of his career, but in my top 10 of all time.

The truth is in here
Dustin Hoffman was amazing in Straw Dogs in 1971. Don’t know what other movies it went up against, but he should at least have received a nod.
Totally agree.
He was also amazing in Little Big Man.

Shailene Woodley in The Descendants
Denzel Washington- American Gangster
Didn't really care for American Gangster, but if I had to pick a Denzel performance that should have gotten a nomination but didn't, it would have to be John Q.

Totally agree.
He was also amazing in Little Big Man.
Never seen it. For some reason it seems like a dumb movie to me.

Didn't really care for American Gangster, but if I had to pick a Denzel performance that should have gotten a nomination but didn't, it would have to be John Q.
Fave Denzel movie is Training Day. Seen it a million times. Did he get a nomination for that?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm his biggest fan but that one is mid tier for me

Jack Nicholson in The Shining
EASY

He won the Oscar Best Actor for Training Day, his second Oscar. His first was Best Supporting Actor of 1989 for Glory
Good to know. Tx.

The truth is in here
Never seen it. For some reason it seems like a dumb movie to me.
It's funny, touching and helluva entertaining throughout. I'm not sure what about it looks dumb to you, but I hope you'll give it a chance some day. It's a must for any Dustin fan.

Welcome to the human race...
So you're on the side of a violent abuser like Amber Heard?
I'm on the side of not turning abuse into a smug punchline.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Doesn't everyone know foreign films don't count?

Juliette Binoche for Three Colors: Blue.