13.95%
6 votes
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
18.60%
8 votes
Parasite
43 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Just watched this!
Pretty good (and humorous) vid, which is a nice overview of the influences for Oscar nominations. I'd like to have seen more emphasis on the more obvious PC/SJ criteria in the past 10 years or so. At least this year that criteria doesn't seem as prominent.

I saw a video on that topic, from these dudes. I just can't remember the title of the video so unable to find it. I can trawl through their video library... I will post it if I can. In all likelihood it seems that the preferential ballot messes it up. But it definitely needs a deep dive.

Welcome to the human race...
Pretty good (and humorous) vid, which is a nice overview of the influences for Oscar nominations. I'd like to have seen more emphasis on the more obvious PC/SJ criteria in the past 10 years or so. At least this year that criteria doesn't seem as prominent.
Probably because that already fits into the broader context they outlined in the video about how the Academy has always preferred films that are "aesthetically conservative but thematically humanistic and uplifting" (the video even acknowledges that a more purely leftist and critical film like Sorry to Bother You didn't get any attention last year while a blandly agreeable racism-is-bad centrist movie like Green Book ultimately took Best Picture). This obviously depends on what your "PC/SJ criteria" even are, but I don't think that the Academy rewarding films and creators for demonstrating sufficiently progressive politics (even if it's just the bare minimum) is something that's only just sprung up in the past ten years.

The guy on the left has barely watched some of the movies yet doing a ranking. For a couple of school kids, they do have some developing tastes. Should get better with age.

The guy on the left has barely watched some of the movies yet doing a ranking. For a couple of school kids, they do have some developing tastes. Should get better with age.
I'm the guy on the right. And no, the video is straight up awful, no worries. We did it for fun and for laughs.

Fix the curtains dude! See the quality might be off. But the content is very important! Which I would say is pretty good.

Question: Will the Oscars live chat be available on mobile? I just don’t see the Oscar head on the mobile version so I was just wondering.

Question: Will the Oscars live chat be available on mobile? I just don’t see the Oscar head on the mobile version so I was just wondering.
Yup! There should be a "Join our Live Chat" button in the header of the mobile site on every page. https://www.movieforums.com/chat

Yeah, a few times a year I get asked (if not Oscars then something else) where something is when it's on the top of every page. I assume it's just some form of banner blindness, where people just scroll right past a thing out of instinct or habit.

Parasite did it!!! The first foreign language film to be named for the Academy's top prize. It is also only the third time in the past eight years there wasn't a split between Best Director and Best Picture (the other two were Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Birdman and Guillermo del Toro and The Shape of Water).

History! Para-outta-site!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Parasite did it!!! The first foreign language film to be named for the Academy's top prize. It is also only the third time in the past eight years there wasn't a split between Best Director and Best Picture (the other two were Alejandro G. Iñárritu and Birdman and Guillermo del Toro and The Shape of Water).

History!
Don't want to say I told you so.....

Suspect's Reviews

It looked like it might happen with 1917 but instead Parasite is now the twelfth Best Picture winner that had zero acting nominations joining The Last Emperor (1987), Braveheart (1995), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003), and Slumdog Millionaire (2008) as the only with that distinction since the 1950s.

Parasite also becomes only the second Palme D'Or winner from The Cannes Film Festival to be named Oscar's Best Picture. The only other instance was Delbert Mann's Marty (1955), which was the first picture to win the Palme D'Or.

Good winner! No complaints about it.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Ford vs Ferrari caught me in those two technical categories. Not that it would have helped me much, but I think they gave it to them because it was race related.

Parasite won, called it, happy about it.

Irishman went for ZERO, another heavily nominated Scorsese film to walk away with nothing. First I think was Gangs of New York.