What fashion trend defines this era but will look stupid later?

Tools    

The trick is not minding
If she had worded her post correctly and fairly she would've said: "What can’t happen too soon is people not using this word to describe women's fashion." See the difference? Maybe English isn't her first language?![/i]
I get your point, and maybe she could have worded it better, but by the same token, describing something as the “slut look” is probably something that could have been better phrased as well.
Describing an outfit as “the slut look” is, by extension, implying said woman looks like one.
Now, I don’t think that was his intention, but if we’re arguing her response was unfair, one could say his was as well.
Like I said though, whats the “slut look” exactly? Revealing too much skin? Too much makeup? Short skirts?
It differs from person to person I imagine.

You ready? You look ready.
Blonde hair. We’re going to look back on this decade and see photos with a sea of blonde mops. We will look back and say “they thought they were so cool but they looked like everyone else.”

⬆️ Are you referring to blonde men or women? Or both?

I was blonde when I lived in London and, yes, they do have more fun.

Face tattoos on these kids are going hilarious in about 50 years when they are old. Well the ones who make it that far. Something tells me if you are putting tattoos on your face your decision making will lead you to a young grave.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Tattoos in general have definitely reached the stage where people seem to think that more is better. I remember people were shocked in 2002 when Ralph Fiennes stripped off his shirt in Red Dragon and had tattoos all down his back. Today, it's commonplace - point being - it wasn't that long ago.

Yeah, definitely. For some it's almost a lifestyle. I play a lot of softball these days and there's a ton of tattoos there, very often up and down people's entire arm. I see it so much it barely registers as noteworthy now. A lot of them talk about their long-term plans for more, saving up for elaborate additions, etc.

I play a lot of softball these days and there's a ton of tattoos there, very often up and down people's entire arm.
Aka “sleeves”. I see a ton of it here. Sometimes I see a white girl & I think she’s wearing a dark hoodie when in actuality it’s her tats all over her arms.

The very worst is seeing gangstas with tats all over their bald heads & on their faces. Gotta hurt like a bitch getting those.

The Adventure Starts Here!
To go back to the original post, let me assure you, Yoda, that in the 1970s, a LOT of people were wearing bell bottoms. In fact, it was tough in a lot of stores to find straight-leg jeans (except for something like Levi's, which has had their classic straight-legs forever). Most of the bell bottoms were also low-waisted. I clearly remember getting a pair of wide bell bottoms from a place called InJeans in the 1970s. Five bucks for the jeans. Wide legs and a ridiculously tiny zipper because of how low the rise was on them.

And yes, I do think jeans started out as heavy-duty work clothes and then trickled their way down to the general populace... who now rip them on purpose to the point where they look ridiculous and cease to keep your upper thighs warm or dry in various types of weather.

And please, let's pass a law to keep men from wearing skinny jeans.

Also, shoulder pads were in everything women wore in the 1980s. Not just suits, but many/most tops that weren't T-shirts. I remember when shoulder pads went OUT of style, sitting around snipping them out of a bunch of tops and blazers. Good riddance!

As for hoodies, they've been around forever, but they weren't always called hoodies. We just called them sweatshirts or zippered/zipped-up sweatshirts (if they had zippers). Their use and name may have changed but their existence is much longer than those recent changes. If anything goes out of style, it won't be the clothing itself. It might just be that their usage morphs again.

I'll be glad when Ugg-type boots are completely gone. I don't mind them as cold-weather boots, but I dislike seeing people wear them as regular shoes when the weather is perfectly fine. I think of them as Ugh-boots.

You ready? You look ready.
And please, let's pass a law to keep men from wearing skinny jeans.
Them skinny jeans are all well and good until you need the man to go collect firewood and start a fire.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The Adventure Starts Here!
I think they're hideous and can't understand what purpose they serve. It's the skinny LEGS of skinny jeans on men that look really "off" to me. Not that I love the look on women, either.

Perhaps I am simply projecting my own discomfort at the thought of wearing pants that tight. (FWIW, it's also not good to have so little air circulation around one's nether regions.)

Okay, I'm OFFICIALLY OLD. So sue me.

(FWIW, it's also not good to have so little air circulation around one's nether regions.)
Wondering if any of the gents here would like to discuss their nether regions? Anyone?

I do not wear skinny jeans, but I do like Slim. Pretty tight but not painted on. I think I bought a skinny pair once and I've never worn them, just too tight. They're in the attic in case I ever get into really ridiculous shape, I guess? Probably not even then.

But yeah, it's a fine line. Closer-fitting clothes usually look better and they've got to fit the form pretty tightly before it starts to go the other way and look worse, and most skinny jeans are past that line, I think, whereas most slim jeans are right on.

Girls shaving off parts of their heads, while leaving behind small bits. Or going for supershort but badly trimmed hair. And making them florescent green or pink. It looks weird now, and it will be deemed weird in the future.

And this is coming from a guy who worships girls with short hair. I mean, my heart skips a beat everytime I see a girl in a pixie (or something similar) cut.

Also, taking the piercings a bit to far. I love a good piercing at the right places. I have pierced ears myself (though it is a religious thing, where we got our ears pierced as kids). But putting large, hollow rings in your earlobes, lips doesn't look great.

Finally, don't even get me started on skinny fit jeans for lads. It's not a good look. And how are these people comfortable with such tightly fitted clothes around their crotches. I tried one once and my tenders rebelled. What if you get that unexpected boner? Happens to all of us. How will you handle that in tight jeans?

I really do not understand the fad of tight jeans for men. They look amazing on women, but not men. Also, it does affect me even if I don't use them. The amount of time and energy I have wasted searching for regular fit jeans in markets saturated with tight fit jeans is a lot.

I think of them as Ugh-boots.

RE: Jeans
My dad told me that back in the 40's / 50's the only kids who wore jeans to school were either farmers, poor or both. A bit sad to think about really - being marked immediately. Guess some stuff never changes.

For me though, growing up in the 70's, it was all about the bell bottoms. I had a pair of brown plaid corduroy B.B.s and a yellow turtleneck my mom made me wear for dressing up. For everything else it was the Sears Toughskins

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've been growing my beard out for a bit and have become more aware of guys in my area doing the same. It's less a seasonal shift and more a fashion thing, I think. There are a few manbuns, but that hasn't really caught on here in south Alabama except for older high schoolers or maybe local junior college kids. They can't support a beard so maybe they don't count. Still, there's not many manbuns. I think most guys around here would sooner physically assault a guy sporting a manbun, so that herd is thin. I guess my point is that I'm noticing fashionable overlaps between guys with beards because we're either lazy to bother shaving or the ever country farmer/biker type and the younger, more fashion-conscious guys with the tighter jeans, autumn-themed flannel shirts and the occasional manbun. I'm confused now as I don't really fit in either of those tribes. I'm wondering what's going to become of the burly beard in a few years time. Disclaimer: I have my share of autumn flannel too, so don't assume me too judgmental.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

My dad told me that back in the 40's / 50's the only kids who wore jeans to school were either farmers, poor or both. A bit sad to think about really - being marked immediately. Guess some stuff never changes.
My parents’ generation always told me that in England it was considered rather low-class to sport a tattoo in those day. Only sailors had them & of course it was an anchor. How things change.