Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Tools    

What surprises me is the devotion of the haters.
Actively seeking out sites and threads, just to complain.
Constantly.

Trying their hardest to spoil something simply because they didn't like it themselves, it's kinda pointless and a little bit sad.

I mean, I don't like the Twilight series... have said so a couple times on MoFo whenever the subject has come up (which has been a while)... but I don't actively hunt down forums and websites reiterating the same complaints over and over, just wording the sentence in slightly different ways.

In fact, my daughter likes the series and I actually sat and watched it with her a couple months back. I hated every minute of them, and, I didn't shut her down as soon as she started talking.
I was actually fascinated to see and hear her thoughts on them.

Comparing Twilight with probably the most revered franchise is a bit laughable really. We care about Star Wars and lament the state of it.

We're not trying to spoil anything Ruin and Kathleen did that all by themselves.

We can't complain about something we haven't seen(and won't be seeing anytime soon).

There's simply a little bit of a discussion due to the new trailer thats all, what's the problem? Emperor returning prob as a ghost, the title, there are questions.

And there's the shut-down.

With an insult as well by the look of it by calling my comparison laughable.
It's called debating. Using words instead of using the same "But I didn't like it" as an argument.

"Anything anyone says that's good, or has comparison to something else, or tries to be constructive in any way will be shut down immediately......... because I didn't like it"

You did the same above with Ned.
He says something about Marvel, Disney, Star Wars... and you immediately try to shut him down... "because [i] didn't like it".

Wonder how many pages of "But I didn't like it" this thread will get too.

Personal preference isn't indicative of something's quality.
As I said, I hate Twilight... the movies are total garbage... but that's according to me... but, my daughter loves the damned things. And that, is according to her.
My tastes, my personal preferences, aren't indicative of the attraction and pull that those movies have on their fanbase.

Another example... Harry Potter.
I think Harry Potter is the biggest fraud the entertainment business has ever seen by an incredibly cunning con-woman who has earned hundreds of millions by using plagiarism and feigning ignorance.
But, the fanbase is huge. The movies and books are loved.
My tastes and preferences aren't indicative of the product. It's just my opinion.
And me going site to site, thread to thread... with nothing but "But I didn't like it" is neither productive nor valid.

Rant over.

"It's cathartic" works as an explanation for why someone might lay into the film or even make fun of it a fair bit. Pretty sure it doesn't work as an explanation for bumping threads for years (!) and repetitively contradicting anyone who's even kinda so-so on the movies, though. That suggests some kind of emotional need to make other people experience your disappointment.

Welcome to the human race...

(also lmao at "we're speaking forbidden truths" like shut the hell up, even I gave Force Awakens a
after one viewing so you're not special for thinking it's anything less than a cinematic Holy Grail)

Nah. Yoda looked at your words (and those of others) and noted they go well beyond the stated explanation for them, is all. They're obviously not just film criticism, and they're not even just venting.

Yes to the "talking to you" (mostly) part. No to the "psych assessment" part. Unless we think just noting the obvious implications of someone's behavior counts as a psych assessment, I guess.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
"It's cathartic" works as an explanation for why someone might lay into the film or even make fun of it a fair bit. Pretty sure it doesn't work as an explanation for bumping threads for years (!) and repetitively contradicting anyone who's even kinda so-so on the movies, though. That suggests some kind of emotional need to make other people experience your disappointment.
I didn't actually have anything negative to say about the trailer other than a "it looks good", "wonder what x means" "still won't be paying to see it".

I haven't bumped TLJ thread in ages, so don't know how I can bump threads for years?? The film is less than 18 month old.

I mean ultimately what do you guys want? This thread to be a haven from dissenting opinion? And is ranting on a film really spoiling things?

If you truly want me or any others to remove ourselves from this thread please say so. I won't see the film but out of curiosity I'll read about it, even spoilers.

Welcome to the human race...
I like how a franchise that is "probably the most revered" is ostensibly defined by fans who complain about at least half the installments.

I didn't actually have anything negative to say about the trailer other than a "it looks good", "wonder what x means" "still won't be paying to see it".
Aye, not talking about this thread really. FWIW it does kinda feel like you've burned out on TLJ stuff anyway, which is for the best. I think most of us have. Certainly isn't anything new to be said.

I haven't bumped TLJ thread in ages, so don't know how I can bump threads for years?? The film is less than 18 month old.
I think a year and a half can be fairly described as years in this context, but fair enough. More than a year, then.

I mean ultimately what do you guys want? This thread to be a haven from dissenting opinion?
C'mon, no more straw man hyperbole stuff. I've said like 10 times (probably not an exaggeration) that I find plenty of the criticisms valid and don't mind people not liking it, at all. I think you know there's space between "no dissenting opinion" and "a barrage of repetitive sarcasm and mocking to anyone who gives the film
."

And is ranting on a film really spoiling things?
If it's just ranting, nah. If it's repeated over and over and even directed at people, then kinda, yeah. Especially the weird Real Fans Backlash stuff. If we were just talking about the movie we wouldn't keep getting into the culture war stuff, or have all this flexing about the power of the fans to affect box office or ratings or whatever. Critics aren't just saying things or just stating opinions, they're basically demanding to be heard and acknowledged, which is why even people with tepid (rather than outright hostile) responses to the film can still be met with a lot of pushback.

If you truly want me or any others to remove ourselves from this thread please say so. I won't see the film but out of curiosity I'll read about it, even spoilers.
Nope, I do not want you to remove yourself from this thread. I would like this thread not to become all about TLJ, though, personally.

And there's the shut-down.

With an insult as well by the look of it by calling my comparison laughable.
It's called debating. Using words instead of using the same "But I didn't like it" as an argument.

"Anything anyone says that's good, or has comparison to something else, or tries to be constructive in any way will be shut down immediately......... because I didn't like it"

You did the same above with Ned.
He says something about Marvel, Disney, Star Wars... and you immediately try to shut him down... "because [i] didn't like it".

Wonder how many pages of "But I didn't like it" this thread will get too.

Personal preference isn't indicative of something's quality.
As I said, I hate Twilight... the movies are total garbage... but that's according to me... but, my daughter loves the damned things. And that, is according to her.
My tastes, my personal preferences, aren't indicative of the attraction and pull that those movies have on their fanbase.

Another example... Harry Potter.
I think Harry Potter is the biggest fraud the entertainment business has ever seen by an incredibly cunning con-woman who has earned hundreds of millions by using plagiarism and feigning ignorance.
But, the fanbase is huge. The movies and books are loved.
My tastes and preferences aren't indicative of the product. It's just my opinion.
And me going site to site, thread to thread... with nothing but "But I didn't like it" is neither productive nor valid.

Rant over.
Total agreement on Potter, utter ****e.

Twilight is beloved by many, no doubt but it doesn't really compare to SW level of reverance.

Marvel and Lucasfilm have a common parent company and thats where similarity ends.

Not much more to say for the moment then I guess, I dont want to dredge up any TLJ stuff either. Trailers been briefly disussed so I guess we ll see each other next trailer

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Ok so that was directed at me. You agree with the cathartic explanation yet you’ve tacked on: bumping a thread for years and repetitively contradicting anyone who’s so so about the film.

Without having to go through all my previous posts, hopefully I’m not doing that. I understand people like films I don’t like. The reverse is also opposite. My objective isn’t to target people in an attempt to contradict them.

From my perspective a lot of my comments are poking fun and tongue in cheek at the movie itself rather than at anyone professing to like it. I think it would be fruitless to actively target an individuals subjective experience. Rather I’ve complained and been negative towards the film and have connected with like minded people but also have copped stuff such as rodent calling me sad which is fair from his perspective. It is a bit sad but it’s fun at times for me to poke fun at it - which might be a bit sad. People are going to agree or not or ignore me or label me ‘that guy’. I really don’t think I’m jumping on individual users saying ‘you shouldn’t like this because of a, b and c.’

As for the bumping thread for years. I can put my hand up and say I have several times however it was full of discussion and activity for years, constantly at the forefront of the site. The handful of times I have bumped it or responded to discussions doesn’t count for ‘bumping it for years’ in line with some emotional need.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
For those of you who doubt the power of the Dark Side, here is archived footage of Palpatine when he was younger. Still masquerading as a good and humble servant. He didn't die here either.

Evil has been around forever.

I'm not sure, but this may have been where he turned from the light, once he witnessed the TRUE powah of thee Dahk Sy-eee(duh)... History repeats itself, right? I mean you totally see it, right? Kinda puts a whole new spin on sending Anakin to Mustafar.

Search your feelings well; you know it be true.

o.O

Only to some people who hated Ewoks. ROTJ i have seen the most of all 3 originals probably. It was fantastic in showing Vaders conflict under his mask. From the killer in Empire. I know people hate her but for me Daisy Ridley as Rey is the saving grace of these new films. Finn i can only take in doses cause he gets rather annoying. Many didnt like Last Jed but loved what Mark Hamill did with what he had to work with. JJ Abrams does care about these characters and its why I think we will see a fan note in 9. I think D and D will be a great saga of films with I hope Favrou and Filoni directing.

Edition #9186 of "I didn't like it".

Don't hate me please, just thought this was amusing, and no not hating the trailer.

Dont know why people should be surprised Palpatine knew Vader hated his guts and it a Sith thing to try and kill your master. If Yoda and obi wan Keep there life force in a since dont you think greatest sith ever has a plan for his death

A system of cells interlinked
I came in to say I won't be seeing this, but then realized that was total bull****, so I won't bother.