Optimus Reviews

→ in
Tools    

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Hello everyone and welcome to Optimus Reviews.....

Just lately while working on my favourites list I've been writing a couple of reviews. I've decided to start up a new review thread so I can dive a little deeper into some of my top 100 favourite movies plus others. Some of you guys have some excellent review threads and I've enjoyed reading your thoughts and opinions are some movies I love and hate. I've decided to join in and give this thread a good go and hopefully you will enjoy some of my reviews. Ime currently messing around with a format, but hopefully it won't be to long.
Page 1:
Iron Man

Starred Up

Exodus: Gods And Kings

American Psycho

Page 2:
Death Race

Guardians Of The Galaxy

Page 3:
The Equalizer

Fast And Furious 7

Show Girls

Page 4:
The Fast And The Furious

2 Fast 2 Furious

Page 5:
Fast And Furious: Tokyo Drift

Jurassic World

Get Hard

Roadhouse

Warrior

Lego Movie

Page 6:
Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No

The Orphan

Sisters

Mad Max: Fury Road

Page 7:
Shaun Of The Dead

John Wick

The Revenant

Page 8:
Legend

Toy Story 3

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Page 9:
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

Page 10:
Pain And Gain

Batman And Robin

Saw

Page 11:
Batman vs Superman

Deadpool

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Page 12:
The Human Centipede II (Full Sequence)

The Incredible Hulk

Page 13:
Batman Returns

The Lost Boys

Ant-Man

Page 14:
The Suicide Squad

Captain America: Cival War

Page 15:
Dumb And Dumber

Mighty Joe Young

Blood Father

Finding Dory

Independence Day 2

Under Siege

Page 16:
Jaws

Die Hard With A Vengeance

Jurassic Park III

Deep Blue Sea

Never Back Down

King Kong

Commando

Page 17:
Kong Skull Island

I.T

The Thing (2011)

Page 18:
The Thing (1982)

War For The Planet Of The Apes

Predators

Home Alone

Page 19:
Justice League

Shawshank Redemtion

Arrival

Sunshine

Aliens

Zack Snyder’s Justice League

Godzilla vs Kong

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Iron Man
Directed By: Jon Favreau

As a big fan of Superhero movies all I can say is that Iron Man is something special. In fact the superhero genre itself is something special. Every year DC/Marvel put asses in seats with there movies earning hundreds of millions, even billions of dollars. There well acclaimed by critics and audiences just can't seem to get enough of these huge blockbusters. For me there is one movie that triumphs all and that is Iron Man. Forget The Dark Knight, forget The Avengers, Iron Man is the king of Superhero movies.

Superhero movies all have the same basic story. They all have action, they all have there villains and they all have there superhero. One thing that sets Iron Man apart from the rest is Robert Downey Jr. Iron Man was made for Robert Downey Jr, well that's how it feels anyway. His portrayal of Tony Stark is somewhat special. He's cool, slick, and is humour is timed to perfection. He's a superhero different to the rest. He doesn't have muscles bursting out his shirt, or a big fancy hammer. He doesn't shoot webs or have a big powerful shield. He's a normal rich guy who makes his own suit and his own luck. What's even more impressive is when Tony Stark is on screen with The Avengers he still seems the superior Superhero, he still steals the show and he still feels like the leader. Robert Downey Jr just has excellent screen presence and it really shows as Tony Stark/Iron Man.

Movie Trivia: To prepare for his role as Iron Man, Robert Downey Jr. spent five days a week weight training and practiced martial arts to get into shape.

To prepare for her role as Pepper Potts, Gwyneth Paltrow asked Marvel to send her any comics to aid her understanding of the character.

Rhodey's ringtone for when Tony Stark calls him is a midi version of the theme music to the 1966 Iron Man cartoon.

Another reason I think Iron Man is more superior to the other superhero movies is the origin of Iron Man. Don't get me wrong I loved Batman Begins origin but Iron Man is something that feels more real. It's something that fits in with todays society and something that's actually quite brave to go with. Iron Man is great from the beginning till the end. It has great pace and great action thats really exciting. I own this movie on both Blu Ray and DVD and I never get bored.

Overall Iron Man is not only my favourite superhero movie, it's also one of my all time favourites. It's action packed with a great cast, and a great performance from Robert Downey Jr.

A system of cells interlinked
Great formatting. Really well done!

Just for the record - we do have a header tag you can use if you want the fonts to match the look of the site a bit more. The tag is as follows:

[*header]Movie Title Here[/header*]

Just remove the asterisk I have in the code and it should work for you.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Starred Up
Directed By: David Mackenzie

My next review is 2013's British prison drama Starred Up. This may be a movie many of you have never heard off, but it's a very well acclaimed movie by critics and festivals and currently holds a 99% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. I only found out about this movie myself when I was flicking through the television one night board and came across it, and ime glad I did. Starred up is a very violent movie with some very powerful performances. It has an excellent cast and a very strong story. Some of you may have also noticed it went straight into my top 100 favourite movies, so I personally rate this movie very highly.

One thing that audiences and critics have praised about this movie is the performance of young rising star Jack O'Connell. You may recognise this young star from Angelina Jolie's Unbroken, or tv series Skins. He's tipped to be a huge star and this movie showcases just why. He sort of reminds me of a young Tom Hardy, and his performance in Starred up is quite similar to Hardy's performance in Bronson. Both actors carry them selfs very well and both have a very similar body language. Jack O'Connell also bagged him self BAFTA award for rising star this past year, as well as countless other british awards so he's certainly making a name for himself.

Movie Trivia: The title ("Starred Up") is a term used to describe the early transfer of a criminal from a Young Offender Institution to an adult prison.

Based on screenwriter Jonathan Asser's experiences working as a voluntary therapist at HM Prison Wandsworth.

No music score is used in the entire film, except for the end credits.
Director David Mackenzie really knows how to build up tension in this movie. The first 5 minutes where our young convict is signed into prison is quite a powerful scene and yet there are no words really spoken. The scene feels like where along side him, and you get a feeling of what it would be like to be put in prison, the scene is captured very cleverly. Mackenzie also knows how to deliver on the violence. The movie flows rather nicely but when things do kick off there certainly delivered with mayhem and power. Mackenzie Aldo deserves a lot of credit for casting O'Connell. I know I've mentioned his performance above, but he really is the star of this movie.

Overall Starred Up was one of my favourite movies of 2013. It's great cast, great script, and really fine performances make it a film you really must see. Actually writing this review makes me think i should of placed Starred Up even higher in my top 100 favourites, great movie.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Just a mini review next of Disney's Big Hero 6. I'll be posting both mini and detailed reviews in this thread.

Big Hero 6
Directed By: Don Hall, Chris Williams

I managed to catch Big Hero 6 over the weekend and I was left feeling quite disappointed. Ime a big fan of animated movies, there fun for everyone and normally have some great characters. But that just wasn't the case here. Sure I enjoyed Baymax, but the rest of the characters are very weak. There is no development at all and they left feeling like pawn pieces in the background. Big Hero 6 is not a bad movie by any means, but I was expecting a lot more considering this was disney and a Marvel adaption.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I never heard of Starred Up but it sure sounds like something I'd like.

Not very interested in Big Hero 6.

Love Iron-Man!
You should really check it out cricket. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Exodus: Gods and Kings
Directed By: Ridley Scott

Plot Summary: The defiant leader Moses rises up against the Egyptian Pharaoh Ramses, setting 600,000 slaves on a monumental journey of escape from Egypt and its terrifying cycle of deadly plagues.

Movie Trivia: Darren Aronofsky originally wanted Christian Bale to play the title role in Noah (2014) but Bale had to decline due to scheduling conflicts. The role ultimately went to Russell Crowe, a frequent Ridley Scott collaborator. Bale was later cast as Moses, another biblical figure, in this Scott-helmed feature.

The film was originally called simply "Exodus", but it later received the subtitle "Gods and Kings" because 20th Century Fox could not procure the rights for "Exodus" alone from MGM, who owns the rights through the unrelated film Exodus (1960).

Joel Edgerton found out about getting the role of Ramses when he received multiple congratulatory emails from people who had heard about his casting online.

To prepare for his role as Moses, Christian Bale quickly surpassed Sunday school basics and delved into scripture and literary works. He read the first five books of the Bible, the Koran, as well as Louis Ginzberg's classic, "Legends of the Jews" and Jonathan Kirsch's "Moses, A Life.

Ridley Scott has always been amongst my favourite directors. Movies like Gladiator, American Gangster, and Prometheus are some of my favourite movies, with some even making my top 100 list. When I first seen the trailer for Exodus my first reaction was.. Wow. The action looked fantastic, the movie looked stunning and the cast looked excellent. Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton are both very talented actors, especially Edgerton who happens to be one of favourite actors around at the moment. His performance in Warrior really opened my eyes to just how talented this guy really is. Anyway, after watching the trailer I really thought Ridley Scott had delivered something more powerful than Gladiator, something more epic, something rather special, and damn was I wrong.

First off, what the f*** is going on with the movie title.?. Exodus: Gods and Kings!, it sound like a Playstation game, or the title of a direct to DVD movie. It's certainly not the title I would expect to see from a Ridley Scott movie. Secondly why the hell does Joel Edgerton look like a drag queen on drugs. Or why does Christian Bale walk around shouting like he's still in Batman. Or maybe we should talk about the many different accents in the movie that's meant to be set in Egypt. The whole movie just feels like a mess, and I could keep going on about things that annoyed me. This is by far Ridley Scott's weakest movie I've seen, and it's a shame. He's become a director I expect great things from, not garbage like Exodus: Gods and Kings ( I cringe writing that title). Sure this movie has some pretty good action, and some scenes look pretty good, but the whole movie is just a huge disappointment.

Overall I was left really disappointed in a movie I was really looking forward to seeing. Ridley Scott really took his finger of the mark here, and I expected a lot more of Christian Bale. Bad acting, bad performances, bad film.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
American Psycho
Directed By: Mary Harron

Plot Summary: Patrick Bateman is handsome, well educated and intelligent. He is twenty-seven and living his own American dream. He works by day on Wall Street, earning a fortune to complement the one he was born with. At night he descends into madness, as he experiments with fear and violence.

American Psycho has got to be one of the strangest movie experiences of my life. It's a movie that is awkward and so tense that it gives off a really un-easy feeling while your watching the film. This is a movie that's very dark, disturbing and actually quite sickening. It's a movie that can have you laughing one minute, and then have you covering your eyes the next. It's also a very clever movie that is slick, stylish and very well made by Mary Harron. American Psycho is a blend of horror and humour and it's a fantastic film that's a pleasure to watch.

Movie Trivia: In each scene with Detective Donald Kimball (Willem Dafoe), Mary Harron asked Dafoe to portray his character three different ways: 1) Kimble knew Patrick Bateman killed Paul Allen, 2) Kimball didn't know Bateman killed Allen, and 3) Kimball wasn't sure if Bateman killed Allen. Harron would then edit the takes together, giving the audience an unsure vibe of what Detective Kimball thought of Bateman.

Christian Bale was warned by many that it would be career suicide for him to play the lead in a film like this. This only made him more eager to take the part.

Looking for a way to create the character of Patrick Bateman, Christian Bale stumbled onto a Tom Cruise appearance on David Letterman. According to American Psycho (2000) director Mary Harron, Bale saw in Cruise "this very intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes" and Bale subsequently based the character of Bateman on that. Interestingly, Tom Cruise is actually featured in the novel; he lives in the same apartment complex as Bateman, who meets him in a lift and gets the name of Cocktail (1988) wrong, calling it "Bartender".

The one thing I will praise above all else in American Psycho is Christian Bales performance. Patrick Bateman is a serial killer like no other. He's so strange, so creepy, and so weird that you find your self laughing at scenes that you probably shouldn't be laughing at. It's a fantastic performance from Christian Bale and he delivers one of his finest performances yet. ( especially without his stupid batman voice).

Overall American Psycho is a very good movie. Great cast, great performances, and some very cool soundtracks. It's a very disturbing movie that will still make you have a laugh <<< sounds strange, but it's true.

A system of cells interlinked
Yep - One of Bale's best performances, even if it goes over the top a bit here and there. I especially love the tense business card scene (I work in the printing industry, and these people absolutely exist).

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Yep - One of Bale's best performances, even if it goes over the top a bit here and there. I especially love the tense business card scene (I work in the printing industry, and these people absolutely exist).
The Business card scene is brilliant. Very awkward, but fascinating scene.