Television Tab

Tools    

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Burned through all three of these recently, which is somewhat staggering since Ranma ½ clocks in at a whopping 161 episodes across seven seasons.

I really, really enjoyed this show. I'll definitely be rewatching it a few times in the future. There isn't a single one from its 26-episode run that I didn't enjoy. The dub is really good, too. Caitlin Glass, who would later dub Maya Ibuki (I'll bet you any amount of money she's Shinji's big sister) in the Rebuild of Evangelion, is excellent as Haruhi Fujioka and she does a good job of giving her a neutral voice. Not for a second did I doubt that they could think she's a guy. She essentially reacts the way the audience would ("Who told you to blow up my pictures without my permission?!" "Damn them... I hate rich people.") to a lot of the insanity that happens on-screen. Equally impressive is Vic Mignogna as Tamaki Suoh, the host club's leader. He's kind of dimwitted (he is the comic relief, after all), but one can't help but like him as the show moves along. In Covering the Famous Host Club, the newspaper club's president shows himself to be very delusional when he insists that Tamaki is "evil" and "stole" his popularity, despite the fact that the "newspaper" is nothing more than strife and scandal while the host club only sets out to entertain the female half of Ouran Academy. It's wholly absurd because simply put, Tamaki doesn't have an evil bone in his body and actually insists they help the newspaper club by allowing them to cover the host club. Granted, he's unaware that they're out to destroy him. It's also obvious he and Haruhi are into each other, though both are in denial, Tamaki claiming, "She's like a daughter to me!" even though they're roughly the same age. In Beware the Physical Exam (within the first three episodes!), he actually tells the other male hosts what kind of anime this is and how he and Haruhi are the leads who are going to end up together. The rest, including Luci Christian who would later dub Meryl Strife in Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Monica Rial who had previously dubbed Maya Ibuki in the Platinum Complete dub of the original Neon Genesis Evangelion, Brina Palencia who would later dub Rei Ayanami in Rebuild, and many more, are also excellent and the dub script is completely natural. I couldn't help getting a kick out of the self-awareness the show openly displays. I mean, they break the fourth wall on several occasions and it never once fails; my favorite example is from Honey's Three Bitter Days, when several of the hosts are discussing whether or not those with the AB blood type have an evil side and Haruhi says to the audience, "If you're watching this and you're type AB, please don't take offense to this." None of the other jokes fail, either. Bisco Hatori's story never fails, either. She gets pretty creative as various antagonists appear and (try to) mess stuff up, only to fall flat on their rear in all manner of amusing ways. The animation is up to par, too, which is unsurprising for a fairly recent anime. I watched this on Netflix in HD, which apparently comes from the same master(or masters if you count them individually for each episode) used by Funimation and Madman for their Blu-ray releases in the United States and Australia, respectively - each episode as presented on Netflix opens with the Madman logo - which is known to be upscaled. For an upscale, it looks really good. I'd think it was native HD if I didn't already know. The music is great, too; I'm unashamed to admit that I probably know Kiss Kiss Fall in Love by heart. It also sounds great; the Blu-ray set's Dolby TrueHD stereo track likely sounds even better, but still. If there's a single negative, it's that I wanted to spend even more time with Haruhi and co. Hatori's manga goes on for much longer to follow the hosts in college, so it's kind of a shame we never got a second season. Still, at least it ends on a high note and the ride is so much fun, I'll definitely be coming back to it.

It was good. The dub is really good, too. I can't name any of the other actors offhand, but Johnny Yong Bosch is excellent as the lead, Chakuro. The 14-year-old historian who cries at funerals even though he's not supposed to is quite the departure from Kaneda in the Pioneer dub of Akira and Vash the Stampede in Trigun, but Yong Bosch pulls it off handily. The animation is up to par. The story is solid and it's hard not to care what happens to the characters on-screen. The one strike against it is that there's not much replay value and it sort of just ends, but there's a lot to like here and it at least ends on a relatively high note.

What a fun ride (all 161 episodes of it!) this was. The jokes are frickin' hilarious, the fight scenes hold some genuine thrill, and Rumiko Takahashi has created a great cast of characters. The dub is really good, too; just remember to avoid the Animax Asia dub since the Viz Media dub is vastly superior. The dub script is completely natural. Sarah Strange is surprisingly excellent as Ranma's male half during the first 63 episodes and episode 69, as is Richard Cox during the remainder, his portrayal coming off as a natural extension of Strange's. The same can be said for Brigitta Dau during the first six episodes and Venus Terzo during the rest as Ranma's female half. Both lend his female half a very convincing masculine tone as a guy who's just turned into a girl after being hit with cold water, especially when Ranma says things like, "No way! I told you I'm a guy! I ain't wearin' no skirt!" and of course, his signature "What'd you do that for?!" Also, you'd never guess his female half switched voices if you didn't look it up since s/he sounds the same throughout the series. Myriam Sirois is also excellent as Ranma's fiancee Akane, as are the rest of the cast. It's clear from the beginning that they're exactly alike, which makes it all the more amusing as they trade insults and deny their true feelings for each other ("You are so uncute!" "I hate boys!"). As the two leads, it's only natural that there are a lot of great moments between them peppered throughout the series, like this one from season one:
"All right! I always wanted to eat one of these!"
"You're not telling me you've never had ice cream before."
"Guys never eat this kind. It's too embarrassing."
"Oh, yeah? A real girl wouldn't eat it like that!"
"Butt out! I'll eat it however I want!"
Ranma's curse makes for great humor, but Takahashi isn't content to rely solely on Ranma's curse for comical effect or rely on Ranma's curse solely for comical effect; she also mines it for some serious character depth during the "Sensitivity of a Cat's Tongue" arc where, in one of the worst, and I mean the worst, games of dirty pool to play, the old ghoul - I mean, Cologne attempts to force Ranma into marrying Shampoo if he ever wants to be able to turn back into a guy by using the Cat's Tongue technique to make even lukewarm water too hot for his skin, by showing the emotional torment he endures on his way to undo the technique and in Am I... Pretty? Ranma's Declaration of Womanhood by exploring the psychological effects such a curse could have on a person when, after hitting his head, Ranma thinks he's a girl who turns into a guy. There are also many times when Ranma uses the curse to help those close to him. Moreover, during the later seasons, there are also several episodes Ranma remains male throughout, which opens the door for other sources of comedy, be it something stupid Ranma's father did, having to stop the freak - I mean, Happosai in his tracks, or the principal trying to enforce his dumber-than-crap rules. All in all, Takahashi couldn't have written it better. Kenji Kawai's musical score is ways off from what he would later do for Ghost in the Shell, but that makes it all the more impressive and it fits the series' generally lighthearted tone. The various theme songs aren't half-bad either, though none of them will ever top the first one, Don't Make Me Wild Like You, in my view; okay, so, I guess Can't Stop It from season seven comes pretty close to matching it. I watched this free with ads on Vudu in HDX up to episode 120 and on Hulu in HD from episode 121 forward after Vudu completely removed the last few seasons, either free or paid, and I had to renew my Hulu account. It looked great on both, not as if it were animated yesterday, mind you, but still more than satisfactory and the same can be said for the audio, likely the same master(s?) Viz used for the Blu-rays. If there's one negative, it's the same thing that happened to Ouran High School Host Club, and that's to say I wanted even more time to hang with Ranma and co. Takahashi's manga goes on for much longer, so it's kind of a shame we don't get to see what happens after episode 161 wraps, but not enough of a shame to destroy the series since it at least ends on a high note - hell, I'm just glad it didn't end with Ranma having to commit seppuku because that would be depressing - and you'd better believe I'll be coming back to it in the future. Later, guys.

The truth is in here
The World Of Tosh

I've always had a soft spot for The World Of Tosh. Next to the live-action Sune adaptations from the early 90's, I feel it captures the spirit of the books best. Sune is endearingly optimistic and tireless in his quest for girls. He always paints an unrealistic picture in his head of how he will win over a girl, but when push comes to show things don't really go as smoothly as he first expects. He also cares a lot about his family, as crazy as they might be. The episode where he tries to help his dad fulfill his dreams but doesn't realize the horror he's causing him is a perfect demonstration of his wellmeaning, yet oblivious nature. I really like the dynamic he has with his two best friends Herman and Sophie. Herman is the nice, though somewhat cowardly guy while Sophie is the straigtman who sometimes feels like she's talking to two bumbling nitwits.

The voice acting is excellent all around. Tintin Anderzon captures Tosh's naivety to a tee, and Joakim Jennefors steals the show as the nice, but clumsy father Rudolf. Tintin Anderzon gives Karin a suitably relaxed voice, who unlike the rest of her family goes on rational thinking rather than impulse. Movie fans will also enjoy seeing veteran actor Lennart Jähkel as the neighbor Ragnar, who is hilariously lazy and lets his wife do all the work around home.

The artstyle isn't the most flashy, but I feel like that contributes to its charm. The dream sequences are well-animated and contain some funny visual humor.

Last but not least, there's the catchy and energetic intro, which gets me pumped up every time I hear it. The theme song alone gives me a huge flash of nostalgia.

10 years after this, we would get the disastrous live-action films with probably some of the worst miscasting I have ever seen. But thankfully we'll always have the memories.

A system of cells interlinked
Watching The OA Season 2. Just about done with the season, and so far, as with most of Brit Marling's work, I am loving it.

Also watching Farscape, which I had seen some of back in the day, but I never watched it religiously. Really fun show so far! I am just about done with season 1...

Re-watch of this brilliant series. Makes its follower Veep look like the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

@StirchleyI could never get into The Thick Of It. I know it's me though as I just sat there wishing it was Yes, Minister and how much I prefer that.

BTW, is anyone else watching Pose? I think it's brilliant and I've loved it from episode one. I just hope it continues in this vein. I'm assuming that the Americans here have already been made aware/watched it but if you've not, get it seen.

Interesting to see different approaches to advertising it.

Finished the fourth season of The Magicians today. Pretty meh season as a whole. Too much like a bad D&D adventure where everything is solved with the right unique magic item and it's always miraculously available. 1st and 3rd seasons were clearly better, 4th is about on par with 2nd.

@StirchleyI could never get into The Thick Of It. I know it's me though as I just sat there wishing it was Yes, Minister and how much I prefer that.

BTW, is anyone else watching Pose? I think it's brilliant and I've loved it from episode one. I just hope it continues in this vein. I'm assuming that the Americans here have already been made aware/watched it but if you've not, get it seen.
Been away from England forever so heard of yes minister, but never seen it.

Never heard of Pose.

@Stirchely;I highly recommend it and Yes, Prime Minister, which followed it. You just feel it's exactly like that (was and still is) in Westminster/Whitehall.

I really can't recommend Pose highly enough. If you're a fan of character, it's knockout. I'm more of a narrative person, but I was captivated by these characters before the end of the first episode.

I really can't recommend Pose highly enough. If you're a fan of character, it's knockout. I'm more of a narrative person, but I was captivated by these characters before the end of the first episode.
Took a look at what Pose is about. Kate Mara in it works for me, but is a lot of it about gays & AIDS? Because that entire subject bores me stiff.

@honeykid, I see Yes, Minister started in 1980. Doesn’t it seem very old-fashioned now or do you still recommend it? As you didn’t care much for the Thick, I wonder if we like the same kind of shows?

Took a look at what Pose is about. Kate Mara in it works for me, but is a lot of it about gays & AIDS? Because that entire subject bores me stiff.
It's not really about gays and/or AIDS, though both are present. The A plot of the last episode I watched was about the fear of AIDS and about half of the main cast getting an AIDS test, but it's not really 'about' AIDS. Most of the cast/characters are transgender and the main character finds out she has AIDS in the first episode (it happens really early so I've not put it in spoilers. Hope that's ok for people) but, again, it depends on what you mean by "is it about?" For me, it's a very human programme. It's about being an outcast and trying to find somewhere to belong. It's about acceptance, both of outsiders and yourself. It's about trying to find meaning in your life, even if you know there's not much left and making your mark on the world when you can't do that in a traditional way.

There's also a whole side story about 80's Manhattan, in which Kate Mara resides (so far) though it's bound to cross over at some point but it hasn't been about her, moreso her husband and, again, looking for belonging, finding out who you really are, want to be or need to be seen as.

I think it's great and the characters should be enough to smooth over anything you aren't too happy with unless it's a real issue, but the only thing I can say is to try an episode or two and see how it sits with you.

@honeykid, I see Yes, Minister started in 1980. Doesn’t it seem very old-fashioned now or do you still recommend it? As you didn’t care much for the Thick, I wonder if we like the same kind of shows?
In a way, the best thing about Yes, Minister is that it shows that nothing changes. Although I've not watched The Thick Of It, I'm sure there are plenty of parallels between the two programmes. I feel that's the dynamic of Yes, Minister and it plays like that from episode one. The Minister thinks he's important, can do good and will lead the charge. Meanwhile the civil service placate them, spin them around and then do what they were going to do anyway because they're the actual people who make things happen or not happen.

Maybe the thing I disliked about The Thick Of It was that it felt too close to a reality I saw as an adult? As a child, Yes, Minister and the follow up were characters. Caricatures, in fact, as the titles so aptly illustrate. As an adult, I hated the whole New Labour shiny look. So false and smug. Maybe seeing it portrayed so accurately was more than I could bear?

Whatever the case, the writing and acting are beyond reproach in Yes, Minister (as I'm lead to believe they are in The Thick Of It) but I don't feel that the writers are showing off.

As for old fashioned, I refer you to my point about nothing really changing.

The EU and Brexit

International business

Education

Foreign Policy

Just rewatching the greatest show in the history of the universe, and this was the moment that I realised that.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

I think it's great and the characters should be enough to smooth over anything you aren't too happy with unless it's a real issue, but the only thing I can say is to try an episode or two and see how it sits with you.
It’s not about me being happy or having an issue, but, rather, my boredom level, which is set very low.

As to Yes, Minister - thanks for the videos & I can hear the laugh track. That’s a deal-breaker for me right there.

Thanks so much for taking all this trouble.

The truth is in here
Californication - Grace

I felt very melancholic about watching the last episode. Over the last years the show has given me so much enjoyment. So many laughs, tears and things to think about. But now that the ride is finally over, what did I think?

I thought this was a pretty beautiful way to end the series. After getting himself into sex-related trouble for so many years, we see a much more mature Hank here. He no longer lets himself get mindlessly seduced, and there's a moment in this episode where you think he's gonna give in, but he shows restraint and says no.

The whole mess with Charlie and Marcy and the million dollar sex proposition also gets a resolution that I think everyone is happy about. Just like Hank and Karen they've had a lot of disputes over the years, and if Marcy really gave in to sleeping with Stu it would probably ruin their marriage. Stephen Toblowsky is hilarious as the pathetically desperate Stu. It's especially funny how for some reason he thought if she showed Marcy how he screws his Marcy-looking sex doll it would convince her to go with the offer, completely unaware of how disturbing his behavior is. Charlie has a great comeuppance when he not only hits Stu after he tries to rape her, but he forces him to let them keep the one million dollars. His line "I will make you meet all my balls" as he's threatening Stu is so dumb, but so great.

Levon has been an entertaining, but a frustrating character. Oliver Cooper plays him to great effect, but man, the cringy things he says and does sometimes can be tough to endure. Thankfully, even though he's still acting awkward, we're shown there's still hope for guys like him as well. Instead of horning for another prostitute he's talking to a normal girl, attempting a relationship instead of just thinking about sex. It's a great way to show how Hank tries to teach his son his new wised-up attitude.

Finally, Hank promises Julia he will meet her but sets her up with Rick Rath instead while he boards a plane and makes a grand gesture to win Karen's heart. The poem that he read outloud to her was very sweet. We didn't see much of Hank the writer in the last two seasons, so it was nice that the last thing we got to see him write was something meaningful. Karen also gets over the initial embarrassment and feels very touched that he would do something like this for her. Him holding her hand and she later giving him a kiss that showed that there's still hope for the two of them. As long as Hank's efforts to change are genuine, things might turn out well after all.

The only thing I didn't buy was Julia falling for Rick Rath. Michael Imperioli is a fantastic actor and Rick Rath a great character, but it just felt off to me. They haven't had enough chemistry to warrant that kind of ending.

The song Rocket Man playing over the final montage with Hank, Karen and Becca's happy memories over the years was a very nice touch. It was also used during the ending of my favorite episode Mia Culpa.

Peace out. ... motherfu'ckaaaaaa.

God-damn, I'll really miss this show.

Only a week left until the return of one of the greatest shows in the history of the universe. Here's some of it to get you up to speed.