Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Tools    

UPDATE!:

Apparently scripts for 2 Mad Max movies have been completed. One is called "Mad Max: The Wasteland" and one is the Furiosa prequel, unknown if they are one and the same. Also Coma the Doof Warrior is confirmed to return.

http://movieweb.com/mad-max-fury-roa...george-miller/

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Fury Road is one of the best action movies ever made, so I'm really hoping this picks up steam.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

UPDATE!:

Bitter court battle over Mad Max: Fury Road blocks two new movies

Three years after the fourth Mad Max movie was released to widespread acclaim - nominated for 10 Oscars including best picture and director and winning six - the director's production company, Kennedy Miller Mitchell, has claimed in a document filed in the Supreme Court of NSW that the studio acted in a "high-handed, insulting or reprehensible" manner.

And by "destroying" the relationship of trust by allegedly refusing to pay a bonus for delivering the movie under budget and breaching a co-financing agreement, they were unable to work together to make any further instalments.

To the delight of fans, Miller has long had scripts for Mad Max 5 and 6 ready to shoot.

But with his production company suing Warner Bros for unpaid earnings from Fury Road, they are now mired in litigation.
George Miller's studio, Kennedy Miller Mitchell, in an effort to secure a conditional $7 million bonus from Warner Bros. should they complete Mad Max: Fury Road under budget is in dispute with Warner Bros. over whether it came under budget at all, whether elements which inflated it's budget were the choice of Kennedy Miller Mitchell or Warner Bros., and whether the dispute should be settled in Australia or elsewhere. Obviously an unresolved payment of $7 million puts both entities on bad terms and presents an indefinite halt to sequel production.

[George Miller] said he had used the time since Fury Road's release to get a range of scripts ready to shoot. "There are a lot of options," he said. "I'm not sitting around grinding my teeth."

On whether fans would ever get to see the next two Mad Max movies, Miller said he honestly did not know. "They're there but that's all I can say," he said. "That's in the future."

Warner Bros has appealed the decision that the case should be heard in NSW and a judgment is pending.
https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment...12-p4z98o.html

UPDATE!:

Mad Max: The Wasteland Delay Explained - Why the Fury Road Sequel Is Taking So Long

Mad Max: The Wasteland would be a smaller scale movie, but a direct sequel to Fury Road and not featuring Furiosa. The second Furiosa script is ostensibly a Furiosa-centered anime, but despite both scripts already being completed over the course of Fury Road's development, both movies are on indefinite hold until Miller's company can work out legal conflicts created by Fury Road's dubious budget and supposed broken promise of being a shorter PG-13 movie.

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment...12-p4z98o.html

UPDATE!:

George Miller Looks Back on ‘Mad Max: Fury Road,’ and Forward to More Furiosa

Originally Posted by Indiewire
After ranking “Fury Road” high on our list of the 100 Best Movies of the Decade, IndieWire called Miller at his production office in Australia, and asked him to reflect on his still-unfathomable studio masterpiece (and discuss what he might be doing next).
Are there are two “Fury Road” sequels in the works?
There are two stories, both involving Mad Max, and also a Furiosa story. We’re still solving, we’ve got to play out the Warners thing, it seems to be pretty clear that it’s going to happen.
How did you get into this legal wrangle with Warner Bros. over “Fury Road”?
It all started because of the chaos at Warner Bros. and not Kevin Tsujihara, it was pre all that. He wasn’t the antagonist, because a lot of people didn’t know what was going on and were not prepared to make a definitive stand; everybody was running around fearful, it seems, through three regimes. It was hard to get anyone’s attention, so we went to litigation. The chaos has stabilized and it’s become extremely positive as the dust seems to have settled after [the AT&T merger].
Of all the stories there’s this one, “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” I’ve wanted to tell. It’s a story in various stages of writing that had to be put aside; it’s been around almost 10 years. We’re starting pre-production before the end of the year and shooting early next year.But I’ve been there too often when you announce movies are going to happen and then they fall away. It happened three times on “Fury Road,” and eventually we got the damn thing made. We’re just coming out of a meeting as we speak, and we’re well into pre-production on this one. I’m cautiously optimistic. It’s going well.
https://www.indiewire.com/2019/07/ge...el-1202156053/

UPDATE!:

Exclusive: George Miller's Next ‘Mad Max’ Movie A Go To Film In Australia This Fall

Originally Posted by The Geeks WorldWide
Exclusive: With the legal issues out of the way, writer-director George Miller is ready to return to the post-apocalyptic world of Mad Max!

Back in December, Miller confirmed that a new ‘Mad Max’ movie was in the works, but I’ve learned he’s officially been given the green light to film the new pic in Australia sometime in the late Fall. Tom Hardy’s return as the titular character has yet to be confirmed.

Before pre-production officially begins on the film, Miller will direct ‘Three Thousand Years of Longing,’ starring Idris Elba and Tilda Swinton, starting this March.
https://thegww.com/exclusive-george-...lia-this-fall/

UPDATE!:

Jodie Comer and Richard Madden Top Choices For ‘Mad Max: Furiosa’ Leading Roles

Originally Posted by The Geeks WorldWide
The hunt is on for the lead roles in Warner Bros. and George Miller’s ‘Mad Max’ prequel ‘Mad Max: Furiosa’. I’ve heard Jodie Comer and Richard Madden are both wanted for the film.

Comer would play a young Furiosa, and Madden would play a breathtakingly handsome man with an angel’s face that is scarred by a deep forehead wound stitched together with shiny chrome staples.

I can also confirm Jeff Sneider’s report that Yayha Abdul-Mateen II is on the wishlist for a role in the film.
https://thegww.com/exclusive-jodie-c...leading-roles/

Based on previous reports that Mad Max: Furiosa would be an animated spin-off story, it may be that these actors would merely be doing voiceover work, but I've seen no further corroboration that Mad Max: Furiosa would be animated and may have been misreported information based on press surrounding the Mad Max: Fury Road comic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Ma...8comic_book%29

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The issue centered on Imperator Furiosa has been harshly criticized for its depictions of rape and its characterization of female characters. Some critics opined that it negatively affects the film.

UPDATE!:

Furiosa’s Back: George Miller Discusses the Next ‘Mad Max’ Movie

Originally Posted by NYT
...Miller confirmed rumors that he is moving ahead with a stand-alone movie about the action film’s heroine, who became a fan favorite thanks to Theron’s determined portrayal. Still, for those hoping to see the Oscar-winning actress back in the driver’s seat, you may have to adjust your expectations: The film is a prequel centered on a young Furiosa, and Miller is searching for an actress in her 20s to take over the role.

Miller hopes to make the Furiosa film once he completes the drama “Three Thousand Years of Longing,” starring Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba. That film was supposed to begin shooting this spring, but production was delayed when fears of the coronavirus forced an industrywide shutdown.
Still, they found Furiosa’s story so compelling that they decided to write a second screenplay even before a frame of “Fury Road” had been shot. “I got to read it when I was cast,” said Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who played Splendid, one of the “Fury Road” wives. “It’s genius. I’ve always wondered if that movie’s going to get made.”
“For the longest time, I thought we could just use CG de-aging on Charlize, but I don’t think we’re nearly there yet,” Miller said. “Despite the valiant attempts on ‘The Irishman,’ I think there’s still an uncanny valley. Everyone is on the verge of solving it, particular Japanese video-game designers, but there’s still a pretty wide valley, I believe.”
Though Theron won’t be returning, some crucial members of the “Fury Road” team have signed on. One is the Oscar-winning production designer Colin Gibson, who dropped a tantalizing detail about the prequel’s scale: As we discussed all the vehicles he built for “Fury Road” — 88 were seen onscreen, but 135 were made in total — Gibson teased, “The next possible iteration, which is on the table, has even more."
A Furiosa film even bigger than “Fury Road”? That was enough to lure back the cinematographer John Seale, who finished work on “Fury Road” in 2013 and has spent the last several years in a state of semiretirement. “I’ve had wonderful opportunities to work after ‘Fury Road,’ as you can imagine, and I’ve passed on all of them,” Seale said. “But on ‘Fury Road,’ I told George, ‘If anybody else rings, I’m retired. If you ring, we’ll have lunch.’ And seven years later, he rang.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/14/m...l-furiosa.html

I gotta disagree with this story plot. Max was such a badass and I would love to see more of him. At least we will get to see how Furiosa lost her arm. Hopefully we will see Immortan Joe from Furiosa's time of duty for him.

Welcome to the human race...
The thing that gets me about a Furiosa prequel is that she sees her mission to rescue the wives and escape as a means of seeking redemption, presumably to make up for whatever she had to do to become an Imperator in the first place (which must be pretty bad considering that the boss she has to impress is a misogynistic slaver like Immortan Joe) - that's without mentioning the foregone conclusion of Fury Road. I suppose there could be room for her to have a genuinely heroic adventure in the midst of all that, but Miller's got his work cut out for him trying to figure out a good angle to the proceedings.

BELATED UPDATE!:

George Miller’s Next ‘Mad Max’ Movie A Go To Film In Australia This Fall

Originally Posted by TheGWW
Back in December, Miller confirmed that a new ‘Mad Max’ movie was in the works, but I’ve learned he’s officially been given the green light to film the new pic in Australia sometime in the late Fall.
https://thegww.com/exclusive-george-...lia-this-fall/

You ready? You look ready.
@Iroquois - Spot on, but I'd be personally be cool with a story that paints her as the most evil ****ing force ever.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

BELATED UPDATES!:

Originally Posted by Variety
George Miller has tapped Anya Taylor-Joy, Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II to star in “Furiosa,” the prequel movie based on Charlize Theron’s Imperator Furiosa character from 2015’s “Mad Max: Fury Road.”
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...th-1234802781/

Originally Posted by Warner Bros.
George Miller’s “Furiosa,” a prequel to his hit “Mad Max: Fury Road” that introduced the wildly popular character. Set for June 23, 2023, it will star Anya Taylor-Joy in the title role, alongside Chris Hemsworth and Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. Miller penned the script and produces alongside his longtime partner, Oscar-nominated producer Doug Mitchell (“Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Babe”).
https://www.warnerbros.com/news/pres...eatrical-slate

Due to how far out this movie is, I'm gonna take a break from updates. I realize I'm already pretty inactive on this site as it is, but I'll make time for it again eventually. Take care!

12/23 UPDATE!:
I posted this already (and I know it's been shared elsewhere), but apparently MoFo was having server problems.

My main concern is the obvious CG in the trailer, which really wasn't an issue with Fury Road.